Non Union Upsers In Right To Work States

RealPerson

Same here, it is all the same.
I guess because we use to be like 98%+ Union.

Every Center will have different answers and stories.
Once I had to go for a pending term, and guess what I was the one doing the talking. I was shocked, since I was only at UPS for a couple 3 years and had NO idea what I was doing.

If a Person Doesn't get in Trouble, then what "other" benefits would the "scab" be getting, if not paying dues?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Exactly the point I made a few days ago on another thread. All this "scab" and "freeloader" talk doesn't accomplish anything positive. All it does is drive a wedge between current members and potential members. And people claiming that a steward should give minimum representation (or less) is about the dumbest idea there is. The intelligent approach would be to show the potential dues payer that the dues are well worth the money they'd be paying. The idea is to make them want to join by showing them why they should. Not by childishly belittling them by calling them names and withholding representation like a sulking child that doesn't get their way.

Ever go up to a panhandler and offer them a job? Try it and see how you get shot down every time. They make more money with less effort standing on a freeway exit with a pitiful sign. Then they can go use Government & charitable services that they have never contributed to. Freeloaders are the same, whether they are standing on a corner or working next to me.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ever go up to a panhandler and offer them a job? Try it and see how you get shot down every time. They make more money with less effort standing on a freeway exit with a pitiful sign. Then they can go use Government & charitable services that they have never contributed to. Freeloaders are the same, whether they are standing on a corner or working next to me.

Ever go up to a Teamster and offer them the opportunity to start their own business? Try it and see how you get shot down every time. They make more money without taking any risk or having to think. Freeloaders are the same, whether they are in the Union or a scab. :raspberry:

brown_trousers

In my opinion, the only thing wrong with RTW laws is that they give non-workers free representation.
I would be fine with RTW if those people were responsible for negotiating their own wages & benefits and responsible for their own representation.

cynic

Perhaps there is some beauty in the picture that has not yet been revealed?

Would it not be pure genius if the union administrated plans were to eventually become free to "members only"? And have "non-member" rates?? :wootsmiley:

Overpaid Union Thug

The Fulltime Scabs,Freeloaders an Moochers are employees with 20 years plus seniority. I take great pleasure of informing them of their status

And you think that giving up on them and badgering them will change their mind? Not likely. You are pushing them away. I don't blame them.

I never thought anyone would ever have the audacity to compare people that work just as hard (at the very least) as they do to people that actually do take money for nothing. This site has reached an all time low

The die hards on this site always say that people shouldn't work at UPS if they don't want to join the union. Well, fine....then I say in right to work states if you don't want to work in a shop with non union workers then go elsewhere. Oh snap! I guess that little dose of the union thug's own medicine won't sit well with some. LOL!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
And you think that giving up on them and badgering them will change their mind? Not likely. You are pushing them away. I don't blame them.
nah they are the first to file 9.5 grievances,fill out 8 hour requests and demand their 'rights'. They know they are Freeloaders milking the system

sigreq

I'm in a closed shop so I can't imagine how this works. Are the non-union harassed more, fired? With no protection, it would seem to me, you are at their complete mercy.

Do union members watch these scabs like a hawk, in order to make sure they don't get away with anything? It would burn me knowing they take home almost $1000 extra dollars per year because I pay union dues.

I see them written up for more things they blindly initial or sign whatever they are "told" to sign and have no clue as to their rights under the contract. They're shuffled around the hub to help whatever area or belt needs help, getting sent to unload trailers only to be loading those same boxes 30 minutes later when they return to an egress infested belt. Sucks to be them - they get what they pay for...

At the same time I don't see much effort put forth by the IBT to sign these folks up either and it's definitely not part of their new hire orientation...

So I guess the scabs in your hub have been marked with the scarlet letter?

iruhnman630

No reason they should be obligated to have anything less or be given anything less then us union members get if that is what the two parties agree on.

stink219

No reason they should be obligated to have anything less or be given anything less then us union members get if that is what the two parties agree on.
What two parties are you talking about? And what have they agreed to give these scabs? I assure you, the teamsters have not agreed to negotiate on these deadbeats behalf.
No reason they should have anything equal to what we have.
Convince me that it's fair for Scabby McScabscum to get what we have fought so hard for?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What two parties are you talking about? And what have they agreed to give these scabs? I assure you, the teamsters have not agreed to negotiate on these deadbeats behalf.
No reason they should have anything equal to what we have.
Convince me that it's fair for Scabby McScabscum to get what we have fought so hard for?

OK i'll take the bait. $8.50 an hour. No health benefits. No vision. No dental. No vacation days. No sick days. No regard to the safety of employees. Constant harassment. No union representation. Never seeing or speaking to a union steward EVER. You want them to pay for what again because I'm at a loss.

Where are you? Do you live in the South? I'm sick and tired of people on this site pretending to even begin to understand what its like to work for UPS in a Right to Work state. Just because things are one way for you Yankees doesn't mean that's how things are down here in the dirty south.

Exactly the point I made a few days ago on another thread. All this "scab" and "freeloader" talk doesn't accomplish anything positive. All it does is drive a wedge between current members and potential members. And people claiming that a steward should give minimum representation (or less) is about the dumbest idea there is. The intelligent approach would be to show the potential dues payer that the dues are well worth the money they'd be paying. The idea is to make them want to join by showing them why they should. Not by childishly belittling them by calling them names and withholding representation like a sulking child that doesn't get their way.
Okay. Will you great non union due paying workers please please please please join out union.

balland chain

same as shoplifters. getting something and not paying for it.

I am in the Union in a right to work state.. During a 2:45 grilling from my manager, because I had a urinary tract infection and had to pull over 4 time on the feeder run I was doing. My manager gave me a choice, first, your fired, or you can write up a statement that you would do an honest job and keep your job.. My urologist had scheduled a test to go in and check my bladder to make sure I did not have bladder cancer so I had to sign that damn statement because I HAD to have insurance in case I was in need of a surgery.. My manager, when I tried to explain said " I dont want to hear your personal problems." Additionally, I was told I had to punch out every time I used the restroom.. Yeah,,, I was the only one out of a building of over 400 employees who had to punch out to pee.

I called my BA, and his words were, well you better do it. What kind of representation is that??? The shop steward said not one word, nada. He only said if I did not write that statement I would be fired..

I can understand why some people get out of the union. When a manager CLEARLY discriminates against a person and they sit idle, why pay ?? The union failed me.

I inturn retained an attorney, spent 5K in legal fees so my attorney could hash this out with the Corporate attorneys.. 2 Months later, all of a sudden , I no longer had to punch out to pee. Did I get my back pay for all the times I punched out to pee. HELL NO..

SOME UNION officials actually stand up for the members, others cower down to the MGMT at UPS...

To this day, I am in the union, and I am still disgusted with the actions of my BA.

stink219

OK i'll take the bait. $8.50 an hour. No health benefits. No vision. No dental. No vacation days. No sick days. No regard to the safety of employees. Constant harassment. No union representation. Never seeing or speaking to a union steward EVER. You want them to pay for what again because I'm at a loss.

Where are you? Do you live in the South? I'm sick and tired of people on this site pretending to even begin to understand what its like to work for UPS in a Right to Work state. Just because things are one way for you Yankees doesn't mean that's how things are down here in the dirty south.
So why not join the union? It's the right to work for less not forced to work for less. How long have you been at UPS? Explain how it is different in the dirty south then any other place. Here is your chance to explain the reason to not join the teamsters.

quamba 638

same as shoplifters. getting something and not paying for it.

I am in the Union in a right to work state.. During a 2:45 grilling from my manager, because I had a urinary tract infection and had to pull over 4 time on the feeder run I was doing. My manager gave me a choice, first, your fired, or you can write up a statement that you would do an honest job and keep your job.. My urologist had scheduled a test to go in and check my bladder to make sure I did not have bladder cancer so I had to sign that damn statement because I HAD to have insurance in case I was in need of a surgery.. My manager, when I tried to explain said " I dont want to hear your personal problems." Additionally, I was told I had to punch out every time I used the restroom.. Yeah,,, I was the only one out of a building of over 400 employees who had to punch out to pee.

I called my BA, and his words were, well you better do it. What kind of representation is that??? The shop steward said not one word, nada. He only said if I did not write that statement I would be fired..

I can understand why some people get out of the union. When a manager CLEARLY discriminates against a person and they sit idle, why pay ?? The union failed me.

I inturn retained an attorney, spent 5K in legal fees so my attorney could hash this out with the Corporate attorneys.. 2 Months later, all of a sudden , I no longer had to punch out to pee. Did I get my back pay for all the times I punched out to pee. HELL NO..

SOME UNION officials actually stand up for the members, others cower down to the MGMT at UPS...

To this day, I am in the union, and I am still disgusted with the actions of my BA.
That's too bad. Our BA is awesome, a great, honest guy. He actually takes time and goes into trailers, walks down the sort aisle and shoots the terds with everyone for a few minutes while we're working. Genuinely a great guy. Our stewards are the same.

I don't understand how some people think we would have what we have right now without the teamsters.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

You left out (my personal unfavorite, which I don't think is a real word): no paid holidays.

cynic

I grew up in New York and now live in the ("dirty") south so I am well aware of the cultural and union divides that exist in a RTW state and the northeast. Huge difference. I do agree that employee safety is an oxymoron at UPS (they give us the answers to the safety quizzes) and there is harassment if you tolerate it.

I strongly disagree we are not represented - my steward has always had my back as has the BA anytime there has been an issue. A steward volunteers their time (in my understanding) so I don't expect them to be at the gate like a greeter to welcome me daily - I need to seek them out if I need them and don't expect to talk to them unless I have a question or problem. And I always thank them for their time.

There is a difference between having representation present (non-union) and being represented (union member), you're at management's mercy, IMO, if you're not a member and wind up in their cross hairs. Your union dues are trivial when you look at the expense of hiring a labor attorney if you only value membership for saving your skin. Our benefits, 401K, pension, and pay is due to organized labor - try a big box retailer on for size if you don't see the value of membership.

RealPerson

That's too bad. Our BA is awesome, a great, honest guy. He actually takes time and goes into trailers, walks down the sort aisle and shoots the terds with everyone for a few minutes while we're working. Genuinely a great guy. Our stewards are the same.

I don't understand how some people think we would have what we have right now without the teamsters.

That is how my first BA was.. Current one, not sure I know what he looks like now.

We Can't keep anyone at our building. Groups of potential people every week, no one stays. So, not sure what it would be like (if we didn't have what the "union" got us)