Northern New England Pkg Drivers & Feeders...Mandated Lunches??

Do You Take A Full Lunch at the Correct Time Everyday?

• Yea

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Ney

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

By The Book

I can see why the company would not be eager to enforce the language but why would the union be hesitant to do so?
They don't like to make waves, or appear to be the bad guy. They just react when an issue arises so when its election time it's a smooth transition. Some locals may enforce and follow thru on the contract.....but I suspect a low percentage are that proactive.

UPFNS

Sorry guys had to break for Daddy Duty last night. Just to clarify I never run my lunch. My stance is that the company already takes enough from me I'm not give them anything.
*UPS Pre-loader: Been working on that theory, All or Nothing, trying to create some precedent.
BUG: Have talked to my local and he seems hesitant to back us on some middle ground. Disappointing to say the least.
Wide load: Settle Down! I don't give the company a freakin' dime. I just don't see stopping in the middle of the day for an hour beneficial to me or the company. That being said if U want to take your lunch by all means do so. However being forced to take it and then being faced with disciplinary action if U refuse is outrageous! I would prefer to have the choice which is what they have "allowed" me to do.

BrownArmy

New England here, no bonus-center.

One hour lunch is mandatory. Don't put it in your board? Warning letter.

Put a full hour lunch in, but run all/part of that hour? Never hear a thing about it.

I would be fine with a thirty minute lunch, or some option where I could take only thirty minutes.

But, no, mandatory hour lunch.

That's just the way it is here.

In local 177 it looks like our local union is trying to get us down to a 1/2 hour lunch come next contract. The local has wanted it for years now with this last lunch case that the union won it looks like it could happen.

UPFNS

BTB, agreed, looks like the issue been raised. Local stepped up to the plate and backed a driver threatened to receive disciplinary action on multiple occasions. The person in question still to this day has not received a warning letter or any other form of disciplinary action for refusing to take a lunch other than the verbal threats that most of us have heard or heard of. The local is saying if you don't want to punch a lunch then don't. The company has yet to prove that they have any basis for disciplinary action and that if enough of us stand together we will force the company's hand and put the burden on the company to prove taking a full lunch is a requirement and can be enforced. Apparently there has been precedent set in the region where the issue went to panel and was won making the lunch period no longer a requirement but only an option to the employee. The message seems to be lets stand together and see what the company can do about it. This driver was told that his/her job or any other employees for that matter would not be in jeopardy. The only issue, if it was to be heard at panel, would be about lunches being enforceable. This is obviously far from over but nonetheless a small victory.
As for those of U asking about State Law ours reads as follows:
Employees are to be given "reasonable opportunities" during work periods to eat and use toilet facilities in order to protect the health and hygiene of the employee. 21V.S.A. Section 304. Laughable! Gotta love a liberal State.

UPFNS

ECN, Love it! Let's keep the wrecking ball swinging. I would be ok with 1/2 hour if it was mandated and enforceable. If not I'm out!

UPFNS

BrownArmy, Thanks. Anybody receive any discipline beyond the warning letter or did most or all just fold into compliance?

BrownArmy

BrownArmy, Thanks. Anybody receive any discipline beyond the warning letter or did most or all just fold into compliance?

To be fair, the hour lunch is written into our contract. So, take the hour, no worries.

Or run part/all of that hour, management will never say a word.

In answer to your question, drivers that don't take the hour and either put in what they actually take or put in nothing enjoy a path of progressive discipline.

To my knowledge, it's never gone farther than a warning letter, but I'm not certain.

We don't have any mechanism as drivers to change that, but again, that's our particular contract.

Dr.Brownz

Take your lunch. If you have pick ups you have to break for, it will cause you to have to break from further away and go back further to deliver, thus increasing your miles and increasing your plan day. (same with taking paid breaks at the proper times) Now if your dispatcher is on top of things you should see a reduction in stop count. Other than that take your lunch any way. You will be more rested and productive

Dr.Brownz

To be fair, the hour lunch is written into our contract. So, take the hour, no worries.

Or run part/all of that hour, management will never say a word.

In answer to your question, drivers that don't take the hour and either put in what they actually take or put in nothing enjoy a path of progressive discipline.

To my knowledge, it's never gone farther than a warning letter, but I'm not certain.

We don't have any mechanism as drivers to change that, but again, that's our particular contract.

We have drivers here who never put in lunch and nothing happens. Our management team is spineless though so..

UPFNS

Dr. Bz. Good info. Seems they like to blow hot air here. Especially to the ones who fold into submission easily. The issue our management team is having is that over time they are being called out because they seem to be all bark and no bite which is now becoming problematic for them. This will only be more true in the future now that more drivers will be willing to get on board knowing someone will have their back. For the immediate future anyway.

UPFNS

Orion, Try pulling over for an hour in negative temps and when u run the truck to stay warm U get talked to the next day about your idle time. Completely absurd. Big fan of Orion as well. Sweet pocket stuffer. makes absolutely no sense in our region.

Dr.Brownz

Orion, Try pulling over for an hour in negative temps and when u run the truck to stay warm U get talked to the next day about your idle time. Completely absurd. Big fan of Orion as well. Sweet pocket stuffer. makes absolutely no sense in our region.

Go inside a restraurant for an hour
Why would you eat in the truck?

UPFNS

Oh, I hear ya. Easier said than done in the sticks. Again I would just prefer the option of working straight through and using all the daylight available to work safer and spend the time saved with my family. That's all!

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Sorry guys had to break for Daddy Duty last night. Just to clarify I never run my lunch. My stance is that the company already takes enough from me I'm not give them anything.
*UPS Pre-loader: Been working on that theory, All or Nothing, trying to create some precedent.
BUG: Have talked to my local and he seems hesitant to back us on some middle ground. Disappointing to say the least.
Wide load: Settle Down! I don't give the company a freakin' dime. I just don't see stopping in the middle of the day for an hour beneficial to me or the company. That being said if U want to take your lunch by all means do so. However being forced to take it and then being faced with disciplinary action if U refuse is outrageous! I would prefer to have the choice which is what they have "allowed" me to do.
As soon as you punch in, your behind an hour. Smarten up.

UPFNS

WL, Please elaborate on why I'm an hour behind as soon as I clock-in. Not sure I understand your thought process. Thanks