Not a 'bonus' driver...

Overpaid Union Thug

Around my neck of the woods CLO H is a no no unless it is a holiday. Why is it called closed H if it can be used any time you fell fit. Sheet packages as closed and be done with it.

Exactly...but again....Its not a big deal. As long as it's sheeted in such a manor that won't allow the packages to be loaded in the truck again on days the business is closed then everyone will be happy. That's all management and the customer care about. But lets be real here folks. It's common sense. If it's not a holiday how could it be CLO HOL??? LOL!

LeddySS98

Okay a few things that need to be touched on I think...

I had no way of knowing whether the business would be open or closed so how could I sheet it up as known closed...

The day prior when all these boxes came down the belt I raised question to them... The address was a good address but the company name was not... I had the clerks look up the company name to see if it was a bad address, they came up empty handed... I told my on road about the situation, that they were being sent to a good address, but the business name did'nt match up. He told me that I had to make an attempt on them so I loaded them up, showed up to the address and here is this new building that came in on a trailer flat sitting at the back of the parking lot with the other business sharing the address with it.

The building is there, they just were'nt open yet... So I made the attempt, CLO 1 - left the info notice and that was that...

The next day I did the exact same thing, and the same results happened. So on day one I 'HAVE TO' make an attempt on them, and the next day they should be sheeted to known closed? The same on road sup. gave me the instructions for both days, day 1 in the AM make an attempt, day 2 in the PM change to known closed and void the stop.

Had I shown up and they were open the second day I would have delivered them, but becuase i show up and they still have'nt opened then I'm some how to have known they would not be open... And it would have been difficult calling them the next morning to see if they are open yet or not... new business's are'nt gonna have a phone number listed in the phone book if they just opened.

Okay a few things that need to be touched on I think...

I had no way of knowing whether the business would be open or closed so how could I sheet it up as known closed...

The day prior when all these boxes came down the belt I raised question to them... The address was a good address but the company name was not... I had the clerks look up the company name to see if it was a bad address, they came up empty handed... I told my on road about the situation, that they were being sent to a good address, but the business name did'nt match up. He told me that I had to make an attempt on them so I loaded them up, showed up to the address and here is this new building that came in on a trailer flat sitting at the back of the parking lot with the other business sharing the address with it.

The building is there, they just were'nt open yet... So I made the attempt, CLO 1 - left the info notice and that was that...

The next day I did the exact same thing, and the same results happened. So on day one I 'HAVE TO' make an attempt on them, and the next day they should be sheeted to known closed? The same on road sup. gave me the instructions for both days, day 1 in the AM make an attempt, day 2 in the PM change to known closed and void the stop.

Had I shown up and they were open the second day I would have delivered them, but becuase i show up and they still have'nt opened then I'm some how to have known they would not be open... And it would have been difficult calling them the next morning to see if they are open yet or not... new business's are'nt gonna have a phone number listed in the phone book if they just opened.
This is just another example of how it is acceptable to falsify some documents, but not others. When I am instructed to do this kind of creative recording I put "per sup" (substituting the sups initials for sup), that way if anything comes up, I'm covered.

pkgdriver said:
CLO HOL is a perfectly acceptable method for sheeting packages for a business that is a known closure. Period

Not to be used in my center unless its a holiday. A Misdemeanor
"Other-Other" DIAD entries= A Felony in my center

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I think the original poster did everything right. Of course, at UPS, you can still catch heck from a sup for that. As for sheeting pkgs "other-other" in the non delivery screen... here they show up as MISSED, and that's a gauranteed trip to the office.

New Englander

We get warning letters for "Other-Other" DIAD entries.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that while "your" supervisor allows CLO H to be used other then it's intention it isn't right.

If it's on your car for the day it's a clo 1 if it's the first time. If you have a lot the center team has the option of sending someone out to get the packages off your car.

I'd love for the shipper or recipient to track their package, see closed Holiday then call the 800 number. Only to ask how we can use closed Holiday on a day that isn't a holiday.

I think you can see from the responses, it's not just me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would they bother to track a package when they are closed for the day? CLO HOL--learn to love it as it is here to stay.

You are right, other posters have agreed with you, but, to be fair, there have been those who have agreed with me which just tells you that, for a international company, things can be different from one area to another. In fact, if you really are from New England, then we are in the same region, thanks to the new realignment.

May I suggest that you lose the condescending tone in your future posts? It would be appreciated.

New Englander

Oh I know....I'm just saying AS Griff always did. Don't follow management blindly on everything.

It's always good when THEY want to be creative, first time you do it and you'll get a talking to.

With all the different opinions of what is correct and what is not, what it comes down to is what your center team (center manager) allows and accepts.
SOOOOOOOOOOO, in retrospect everyone is correct.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would have done the same as Leddy. Clo 1, Clo2, Clo3 and then it goes to the clerk to be postcarded. Would not have been a problem here.
As far as other/other non del. Big no no. And clo H is to be used only on a holiday. I do get to use cloH on other occasions than our standard holidays. We have an indian tribe here and they have other holidays. When their offices are closed for one of their holidays I will sheet it as cloH.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had 3 NDA pkgs, 2 stops, both of which were a known closure. I thought to myself, "WWNED--What Would New Englander Do?" Then I went ahead and followed the proper method and sheeted them as CLO HOL and sent them down the belt. One was Pearle Vision and the other 2 were Empire Vision and they are both closed on Mondays and both do not want their pkgs indirected so I will have them again tomorrow morning. No harm, no foul, proper methodology followed.

I had 3 NDA pkgs, 2 stops, both of which were a known closure. I thought to myself, "WWNED--What Would New Englander Do?" Then I went ahead and followed the proper method and sheeted them as CLO HOL and sent them down the belt. One was Pearle Vision and the other 2 were Empire Vision and they are both closed on Mondays and both do not want their pkgs indirected so I will have them again tomorrow morning. No harm, no foul, proper methodology followed.

What if, by some chance, someone was in the office and they were waiting for one of those pkgs? Or someone wanted to meet you? I just think you still should have taken them for a ride.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1989, that was my thought process exactly when I first bid this run but I checked with both just to make sure and was told by both to not even bother on Mondays and to bring them on Tuesday. You make a valid point.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
NE, you may be surprised to learn that there are people here other than yourself who also know how to do their jobs. May I suggest that you use this forum as a means to expand your job knowledge and not as a means to try to discredit others who just may know what the heck they are doing out there day in and day out.

CLO HOL is perfectly acceptable for a business that is a known closure. This will ensure that they do not get charged for a delivery attempt when they were not there to accept delivery. The best way to eliminate this is to get with your dispatch sup with a list of known closures and the day(s) that they are closed so that he can program these in to EDD and these stops will not get on to your car. However, there are times that the consignee may be at his business on his days off and I ask that the pkgs be loaded so that I can try to catch him when he is there. I have 2 businesses that are closed during the week and there have been times when I have been able to catch them at their business on their days off and have been able to make service.

CLO HOL is used in this instance so that the center does not get charged for a paid send again and this is the way that I have been directed to sheet these pkgs.

I don't know how they do it upstate.
But in CT, I'd be handing in my browns the next day for sheeting CLO HOL
If its not a holiday, you don't sheet it that way
You are giving people wrong info, and in turn may lose their jobs or get in trouble

Just sheet it NI1 NI2 NI3, then leave it for the clerks

If my boss wanted me to void it off my board, JUST VOID IT
As long as those checks clear every Friday Morning, just do what they say
If someone asks about those packages, tell them to talk to your supervisor, you work under him, and he's aware of the packages

CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES CAREFULLY , THIS ONE WASN"T WORTH THE TROUBLE

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Also this business isn't a KNOWN closed, they havn't opened yet, that's all. He could be there at anytime
For packages that are known closed, we take them off the truck in AM, and someone scans them with a scanner. MAybe that scanner says CLO HOL, I don't know, but We don't sheet them like that in my 15 years at UPS.

Last edited:

BrownSuit

Why would they bother to track a package when they are closed for the day?

It may not be the receiver tracking the package. Often times the shipper tracks the package and has alerts setup when there is an exception.

That alert can either say "NI2, NI3, Waiting on a Post Card" or it can say "CLO HOL".

Now if I was a business owner and I saw the later of the two and I didn't think that the recipient business honored Shavuot (Today's Jewish Holiday) I would be a little miffed, especially if it showed up again.

Think like the shipper. They would be on the phone with customer service in a heartbeat. If they see that you attempted, the worst they can do is to call customer service and try to get another delivery attempt after the 3.

Just NI1, NI2, NI3, then let the clerk send the Post Card. If it waits around a while, it goes back the same way it came NDA.

LeddySS98

Maybe this is a lost cause.. i thought for sure this was a serious offense doctoring the records arround to make the numbers look good. Seemed like a pretty obvious integrity case to me, but I guess not.

H

hseofpayne

We get warning letters for "Other-Other" DIAD entries.
Tell em what I tell my sup, " If you don't want me to use Other- Other, take it out of the list of choices". If a new business hasn't opened, it makes no sense(correct spelling of the word,1989) to keep going back. Leave a note saying they can call and pick-up at center.