Not a 'bonus' driver...

New Englander

No it wouldn't have. It got so long because you wanted to justify using CLO H for getting to a business that was closed that day to avoid writing an info notice.

Most of us said prior to his post that you make the attempt and record it correctly as closed.

It seems like it varies from Center to Center and District to District.

So the best answer seems to be - Do what you're told. UPS is setup to allow for a greater control at the Center and District level, no matter how screwed up the decision may be.

Logically, even if we know the location is closed, the package should be still attempted. That's what we are paid for after all and advertise 3 attempts. It sounds like some are trying to lower the cost to serve by no loading certain packages.

Last week ran into two situations where this caused problems. First was an NDA AM where the driver drove by the location because there were no lights on and they are normally closed. Guess what, the owner was there waiting for a shipment that cost him a lot of business. Location was never attempted and marked as closed.

Second was with a business that normally isn't open until late in the afternoon. Driver had a large NDA package. Marked it DR in part to make commit (The package was for some reason marked resi) and left it . . . in his truck. Upon being asked stated that he left it inside the front door as he had keys to the location, but the customer couldn't find it. There were two people inside the front steps waiting for the package. Several messages later admitted it was still in his truck and broke trace to get it to the customer.

This is why even though you know it is scheduled to be closed, we should still be attempting a delivery. We get paid to attempt 3 times, let it sit on a postcard, and only then return the package. If we have to return the package, we charge for that too. That's easy money for doing what we promised the customer in the first place.

Just my two cents
I don't disagree with what you have typed. In our center, I am told in the whole district, if a business is closed every Monday it is supposed to be tagged and not loaded then recorded by clerks as "Known Closed". This does two things , first it reduces the amount of loading and unloading of the packages into the brown truck, reducing wear and tear. Secondly, it reduces the paid send agains for the center. The problem comes in when (1) the tag of "KC" is missed and packages are loaded anyway or (2) the customer is open on a day which they have told us that they will never be open. In case one, I simply make the del att and record them as "Clo1" as I would for any other business closed during normal operating hours. In case two, I say "I'm sorry, but YOU told us you would never be here on Mondays". Is all this UPS policy? Probably not, but then that's not MY problem, I have done as I have been instructed.
And IF Upstate's boss tells him to record them as CLO H, that's between him and the boss.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...And IF Upstate's boss tells him to record them as CLO H, that's between him and the boss.

New Englander, read this quote and then read it again slowly so that you can comprehend it. I am simply doing what I am being told to do. This is called "working as directed". Thanks, Trpl.