not allowed to work after 3 days off

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
One of my drivers was on vacation this week. They called him and begged him to come in today, because they were "hurting" for drivers. He said he'd come in if they gave him a light day. Light day my ass... it was one of the heaviest of the week. Gotta love management's promises. There was a sup walking around pulling splits to create a resi route- he didn't touch this one.
Sorry. but that's one dumb-assed driver. Or very inexperienced. With a few years of experience under his belt, he would've told them, "Yes, I'll be in, but I might be 10 or 15 minutes late." Then, he would turn his phone on silent, and go back to bed. That, friends, is how you guarantee not to get a call from them while you are off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry. but that's one dumb-assed driver. Or very inexperienced. With a few years of experience under his belt, he would've told them, "Yes, I'll be in, but I might be 10 or 15 minutes late." Then, he would turn his phone on silent, and go back to bed. That, friends, is how you guarantee not to get a call from them while you are off.

Tell them yes and then blow them off????

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
What is the sense of vacations, sick days, optional days, and seniority if everyone just takes what ever time they want, whenever they want !

I'm not talking about just booking off for a day, but the arrogance that my life is more important than my job.
Obviously, this guy was needed and he didn't show up or call in.
Even if this "rookie" booked off 3 days in a row, he would need a doctor's note.
I can't blame the manager one bit for sending a termination letter for abandonment.

S

serenity now

there are a lot of people in the world today that think the Sun revolves around them * Well, it doesn't

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
One of my drivers was on vacation this week. They called him and begged him to come in today, because they were "hurting" for drivers. He said he'd come in if they gave him a light day. Light day my ass... it was one of the heaviest of the week. Gotta love management's promises. There was a sup walking around pulling splits to create a resi route- he didn't touch this one.

Calling in a driver who is on vacation is so bull$h]t it should be criminal !
It proves a lack of adequate staffing in the driver roster !

​I would honestly laugh if I was ever asked to come in on vacation, and my BA would be all over them !!!

Dracula

Tell them yes and then blow them off????

I'm on vacation. Call me on vacation and you deserve whatever smart-assed response, or promise I'll give you. When this company fails to properly man the ranks, I will NEVER feel sorry for the results it produces. For all of those cut and dry capitalists out there, this is your invisible hand, knocking you upside the head for openly displaying your business ignorance. There is cutting costs, and there is cutting your throat. Calling employees who are off to beg them to come to work, is cutting your own throat.

Again, if they can't man the business properly, that's their problem. Everyone of us here manages our work day to get done, and I expect them to do the same. So, to answer your question, if they called me on vacation to come in to work, damn right I would tell them yes and blow them off.

I've never heard of them doing this. I've seen lists to sign up to work on days off, but never heard of a sup so arrogant to start calling people on vacation to come in to work. And as this guy says, the point is further cemented by the fact they lied to the driver when he came in. Who would have ever imagined that?

Calling in a driver who is on vacation is so bull$h]t it should be criminal !
It proves a lack of adequate staffing in the driver roster !

​I would honestly laugh if I was ever asked to come in on vacation, and my BA would be all over them !!!
We had a driver that came in a few days of his vacation. The following week he had a late air and they gave him a warning letter. See it pays to do a favor...LOL...LOL!!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, to answer your question, if they called me on vacation to come in to work, damn right I would tell them yes and blow them off.?

There is a difference between being called and told you had to come in and being asked if you would like to come in. Either way, if you say yes and then blow them off you are no better than them for having asked you in the first place. You simply say, "thanks, but no thanks" or, better yet, don't answer the phone, but to tell them yes and then blow them off.......I'm wondering if they could pursue discipline for something like this.

I am on vacation this week and have no firm plans other than tomorrow and Monday. I told my on-car that I would be in town in case something happened and they were short-staffed. I highly doubt that they would call me and will not put any plans on hold in case they do but if they call and I have nothing going on that day I would probably go in. The extra money would be nice.

Dracula

Discipline you for what? On the week you were off? Not happening. Yeah, they'd be mad, but who cares?

And if the extra money would be nice, why not work, say, an extra hour or two during the days you DO work, instead of soiling your vacation by heading to the box dungeon? I don't understand your line of thinking...

QKRSTKR

to the OP. I think what they meant by peak week was everyone who could get the week off took it. Has nothing to do with package volumne. You do know they don't have to let the entire hub off on vacation if everyone wants the same week. So lets say your work area the maximum number of vacations is 5 people off per week. If 5 people with more seniority than you select that week your screwed. Period.

​ Even if you did tell them ahead of time you weren't gonna be there you should still be terminated for unexcused leave of absence. 3 days off you need a dr. Note to return to work (of course that's after you called in and told them you were unable to work.) sounds like you just decided not to show up for a whole week. How the hell do you expect to still have a job?

barnyard

KTM rider

Agreed.

I am in the middle of a 3 week vacation and got a call on Monday, "Can you come in and cover a route??"

No.

I am on vacation.

Re-Raise

What is the sense of vacations, sick days, optional days, and seniority if everyone just takes what ever time they want, whenever they want !

I'm not talking about just booking off for a day, but the arrogance that my life is more important than my job.
Obviously, this guy was needed and he didn't show up or call in.
Even if this "rookie" booked off 3 days in a row, he would need a doctor's note.
I can't blame the manager one bit for sending a termination letter for abandonment.

+ 1

I don't why, but of all the people on here who have been fired for different reasons, this is one of the first times I have been on the company's side.

This guy is so arrogant that he thinks he can tell UPS when he will be there because he has a family vacation planned. You get the time off scheduled, then you plan the vacation. What he did was not an accident or a mistake, it is an indication of what a spoiled brat he is , and I hope we get rid of him.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agreed.

I am in the middle of a 3 week vacation and got a call on Monday, "Can you come in and cover a route??"

No.

I am on vacation.

At any point during that phone call did you think that you should say "yes" and then turn the ringer off? No, you had the common courtesy to say "thanks, but no thanks".

browniehound

Boxed said: "One week before my family vacation (was planned around the vacation forms that did not indicate any sort of "memorial peak season week") I told my manager I absolutely could not cancel the plans on several families as well as plane tickets and mess up all our plans to come in and work part time 4 hours. I explained I absolutely would not be in as I could not be in due to family and friend obligations that I formed based on my original vacation form, a form that did not indicate a peak memorial week was off the table."

Family and Friend obligations? What about work obligations? Was someone being married or baptized, etc.? To me, work is more important in life than recreation. Now, if someone in your family is ill, well that comes first. However, that's not the case here.

See, at UPS there is rules and procedure for taking time off and its ruled by seniority. If you can just take time off whenever you want with zero respect to your senior co-workers you are undermining the seniority list. So, why then, have seniority in the first place?

Year after year I hear from junior co-workers whining that their family has rented a cottage or they themselves have booked a cottage for a certain week before they even picked vacations and now they can't get the week. Well, "DUH!" you stupid idiot. Why would you do that? And don't have a senior worker pick for you and then switch with him. That's worse and its simply not fair. The only way it could be fair is if I could bump you after you switched.

I have no sympathy for you because I've been full-time for 14 years and this is the first year that I was able to select a July or August week. In fact, it was a July week and it was the last one left in July and August. I put my dues in and so should you.

You really have some balls to ask 3 times for the days off, then be denied, still take them without a call and then come on here to complain about.

Also, you really should have known better that telling them in advance was not good enough. You should know at UPS you have to make that phone call regardless if they know or not that you will be out. Its the procedure at UPS. A simple 15 second phone call would have saved you a ton of grief. Yeah, you say you were 100 miles from a phone, but how about before you left? Is there even a place in the United States that is 100 miles from a phone these days? I would highly doubt it.

I'm not trying to be mean or rude or anything, I'm just telling you like it is...

UPS Preloader

Unfortunately, the only way to be "guaranteed" a day(s) off at UPS is to not say a word and then book off for the day(s) needed. It sucks that this is the way it needs to be done, but it's the only way to "guarantee it."