not allowed to work after 3 days off

browniehound

I am on vacation this week and have no firm plans other than tomorrow and Monday. I told my on-car that I would be in town in case something happened and they were short-staffed. I highly doubt that they would call me and will not put any plans on hold in case they do but if they call and I have nothing going on that day I would probably go in. The extra money would be nice.

In 2012 they asked me if I wanted to work on my vacation. I wasn't doing anything special so I worked Tue, Wed, and Thurs. I needed the money and it was nice to get that check on the week you normally don't get a check becuase of vacation. They actually lightened me up on the day I was a little heavy too.

Someone said I was supposed to get double time if they worked me on my vacation but I never saw that and the steward didn't seem interested in following up on it. Didn't care, needed the money wether it was straight or double time.

browniehound

...as I don't understand yours...telling someone you will do something and then blowing them off is the lowest of the lows...

I agree with upstate. That is pretty low. Doesn't matter that its UPS that you're doing it to, your word is your word. Once you lose that you're nothing. I don't understand people like this. They pull stunts like this and cry that the compnay has it in for them. We all work with a few of these people. Its like something is missing in their life if they're not pissing managment off. My experience has been you come in, do your job, and go home. I haven't had a problem since I was screwing up all the time as a rookie.

Drink Craft Beer

Vacation request sheets are suppose to be turned by Feb. 1st or sooner. OP should have known well in advance that he could not get days off around Memorial weekend.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I agree that the OP just taking the time after being denied multiple times was just blatantly wrong.
As for those raving about the seniority system for vacation selection it is just plain broken in my area. At any other union shop I've worked in, the first week or two would be picked in order of seniority then continue to go around until all selections were made. In my area you can select 7 weeks at a whack so by the time you get to the bottom of the list you aren't selecting jack--you're being told the weeks you're getting. Last month I watched a 15 year driver who couldn't get a single week in the summer at all. That's just messed up and should be fixed but every time it goes to a vote in our local the senior guys say we got screwed for decades by this policy so it's going to continue...

S

serenity now

regardless of how you feel about the unfairness of vacation selection, you don't fail to show because there is something you would rather do * the OP has discovered that poor decisions also come with poor consequences

over9five

Staff member
Last month I watched a 15 year driver who couldn't get a single week in the summer at all. That's just messed up and should be fixed but every time it goes to a vote in our local the senior guys say we got screwed for decades by this policy so it's going to continue...
Come to Feeders at CHEMA. That goes up to 25 years.

QKRSTKR

I agree that the OP just taking the time after being denied multiple times was just blatantly wrong.
As for those raving about the seniority system for vacation selection it is just plain broken in my area. At any other union shop I've worked in, the first week or two would be picked in order of seniority then continue to go around until all selections were made. In my area you can select 7 weeks at a whack so by the time you get to the bottom of the list you aren't selecting jack--you're being told the weeks you're getting. Last month I watched a 15 year driver who couldn't get a single week in the summer at all. That's just messed up and should be fixed but every time it goes to a vote in our local the senior guys say we got screwed for decades by this policy so it's going to continue...

But then that would limit certain weeks senior guys can pick. We use to have a guy who took 7 straight weeks off in the summer. Good for him is what I say, he earned it. What I hate is some non peak vacations weeks get closed cause only 10% are allowed off. I like to take 3 straight weeks in the fall to hunt but haven't been able to the past few years. Such is life, I deal with it.

p.s. when I had 15 years in I didn't get any summer either.