Not Looking Forward To Helpers

Overpaid Union Thug

So far this year I have been spared the irritation of using a helper. I can't stand dealing with them. So much to the point where every morning in November usually consists of me checking the manning board (I'm unassigned) for routes that don't have an "H" written next to them. You see.....in November volume goes up but not enough to be using the amount of helpers we always use but corporate cutes routes just so they can. So, many routes are trashed in regards to load quality and dispatch quality. That combined with having to use helpers changes my method of how I chose a route each day. Instead of trying to land my favorite routes or a split route with the areas I prefer in a decent truck I will settle for something less if it doesn't have a helper that day. Typically I end up using a helper at least once or twice a week once helpers are hired but this year I have yet to use one. It's been awesome. But I'm sure that will stop after Black Friday. Maybe even on Black Friday. I look forward to it about as much as I look forward to getting a boil on my ass. Here's why....

They are usually more trouble than they are worth. In order to get maximum use out of a helper you typically must be in dense residential areas for the majority of the day and must be able to pick them up and drop them off without losing too much time during the drive to and from the meet point. On most routes it's hard to coordinate a meet time/place that will let you pick the helper up on trace. Let alone drop them off on trace. These factors alone negate what little time (if any depending on your helper, load quality, etc.) you save on route with the helper. I've tried everything I can within following the methods to get more done in less time but it doesn't help.

I'm not even going to bother getting into the stupidity of having to use a helper board.

There are types of helpers that annoy me.......

1) Degenerates:

Every year the helpers get worse. They are mostly either young and lazy rejects or older degenerate types. Or a mix of both. And they always have a story about why they were unemployed leading up to applying for seasonal help at UPS. So many have the same story about how their previous employer "screwed me" but as the hours or days goes by (if you keep the same helper) and they continue telling their stories you start to get the truth either by reading between the lines or from them directly when they start to open up to you a little more. It's funny how in the beginning they claim they were screwed but in the end the truth was that they got fired for being lazy and/or incompetent or just up and quit for various arbitrary and childish reasons. And then they start complaining about having too many kids and being in debt.

2) Drama Queens:
ALL of the helpers above have various problems outside of work that they can't shut up about (in between texting on their phone and bugging me about getting hired permanently at UPS) such as VARIOUS issues with the spouse, ex-wife, in-laws, ex in-laws, girlfriend, baby's momma, siblings, friends, neighbors, etc.. And when I said VARIOUS I meant with some, or all, of the people I just listed. It never ceases to amaze me how friend*ed up these people's lives are. It's easy to see after reading between the lines thats it's usually all of their own doing.

3) Saggers:

Why would anyone with even a half functioning brain show up to their first day of being a helper trying to sag their pants? Watching a helper hold their pants up while they are walking or running (or should I say waddling?) from and to the truck used to make me laugh when I first started driving. Now it pisses me off. Especially when I'm already putting up with characteristics from the first two categories. Whenever I get one of those clowns they are never my helper for a second day. I can't really avoid the other two categories but ditching a sagger is easy.

There are plenty of good helpers out there. If they don't fall into any of those categories then then that only leaves me with the problems that everyone deals with regardless of their helper. Such as losing time to pick them up/drop them off, crappy loads, 40 stops with the same SPA number, etc.. I like the helpers that are here to make extra money for whatever reason. Most of the ones that are retired from another career and are here for Christmas money are great helpers 99% of the time. A small percentage of young helpers that were raised well and truly want to work are good helpers. Some start out slow (and occasionally too fast) but have good attitudes and are easily and willing to learn. All of these different types of good helpers have different reasons for being here but the one thing they always have in common is a good attitude. The problem is that they are getting harder and harder to find.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Thought id throw my two cents in your right on all subjects, helpers are a joke, theres too many variables involved and too mentally draining. Bottom line it has to be $12.00 an hour and preferably a track star.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I just look at it as they are my legs for a month. I don't get off till lunch. That's it. While they are walking off a stop I'm either sorting or sheeting the next few stops. Usually have all sorted and prerecorded by 3. Then it is just oneatatime

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I just look at it as they are my legs for a month. I don't get off till lunch. That's it. While they are walking off a stop I'm either sorting or sheeting the next few stops. Usually have all sorted and prerecorded by 3. Then it is just oneatatime
This is where helpers are huge. They allow you to sort the truck while work is still getting done.

BrownDead

I'm on my third helper already. I have been a driver long enough to know it's highly unlikely a helper is going to live up to my expectations. Still, I train each one as if he or she is going to stick with me throughout peak. It's just the nature of our business. However. I make sure to compensate them extra when they perform. Snacks, lunch on the run, and UPS t-shirts,hats, etc. Then a monetary bonus on Christmas eve.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is where helpers are huge. They allow you to sort the truck while work is still getting done.

You sorting the truck while the helping is running off stops is easily the most efficient way to do things but that is something the IE geeks can never understand. In their world it is always faster to drop off a helper with a bunch of stops to deliver by himself. Real world experience of what works best doesn't matter.

CHALLY9TX

Within the hour you can find out if a helper is good or not. If they're not then just drop them off. I see a lot of drivers here complain about bad helpers but not do anything about it. First day with a helper I let them know exactly what's expected of them. No texting. You don't have to run but don't be slower than me. I sometimes teach them how to sort the truck. If you're a good helper you're gonna get hours. If you're not, all the drivers in my center will know not to use you. It's up to us to weed out the bad helpers. Sucks be we all know ups will hire anyone with a pulse to be a helper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You sorting the truck while the helping is running off stops is easily the most efficient way to do things but that is something the IE geeks can never understand. In their world it is always faster to drop off a helper with a bunch of stops to deliver by himself. Real world experience of what works best doesn't matter.

Nope---that is why they are called helper teams. A helper who can work independently is a huge asset.

Overpaid Union Thug

True but it rarely makes up the time lost from picking up/dropping off the helper. And IE has unrealistic expectations with a helper on board. I could care less what they think but their "thinking" is what gets me more work than I should have on my truck. Minus a heavy residential route and minimal time lost from picking up and dropping off a helper the only real and consistent benefit of a helper is not having to get out of the truck as much as I would otherwise. Once I have the load doctored up and sorted I usually deliver anything on the left side of the truck if the package(s) can be hand to me by the helper over the seat. And if we can get multiple deliveries at the same time I definitely do that. But otherwise I'm either sorting the load or soaking up the heat.

Besides that the degenerates irritate the hell out of me. That is my biggest beef with having to use a helper.

Overpaid Union Thug

Within the hour you can find out if a helper is good or not. If they're not then just drop them off. I see a lot of drivers here complain about bad helpers but not do anything about it. First day with a helper I let them know exactly what's expected of them. No texting. You don't have to run but don't be slower than me. I sometimes teach them how to sort the truck. If you're a good helper you're gonna get hours. If you're not, all the drivers in my center will know not to use you. It's up to us to weed out the bad helpers. Sucks be we all know ups will hire anyone with a pulse to be a helper.

Nowadays that like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah the quality of helper has went down the drain the last few years. Most have a max pace that I would call a mosey.

oldngray

nowhere special
Nope---that is why they are called helper teams. A helper who can work independently is a huge asset.

Sometimes it is better to drop a helper off to work by himself. Usually it isn't. A driver should have the freedom to decide what works best on his route. And many helpers are almost hopeless with a DIAD no matter how much a driver tries to train him, plus many helpers can't even go to the right house even when you point it out to them and even push them in the correct direction. Not even considering the follow ups from bad DR's a helper might make if by himself.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I had one guy who sang/babbled xmas carols to himself all day and that was kind of annoying but aside from stuff like that I never minded having a helper. Even if they were really slow so what, anything they did was one less thing I had to do. I liked getting older folks and retirees, they were always the most interesting to talk to.

AKCoverMan

I don't get helpers very often. But I did pick one up last year.. helper coordinator told me it was her first day out and they wanted to get her some experience. The route I was covering is about 50/50 commercial and resi so I worked on DIAD skills and she caught on quickly. Turned into one of best helpers I have ever had. The regular driver came back to the route next day and the helper worked with him the rest of peak.

She now works on preload and is a utility driver and will be on road this peak.

Oh and we live together now. Never know what a day at UPS will hold in store for you when your a cover driver! :)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. I make it clear to my helpers that they will not be texting or chatting on their phones while we are working. I will make reasonable exceptions to this rule depending upon the helpers attitude and work ethic. The smart ones can figure out right away when they have a free moment to check their phones that doesn't cost us any time (at red lights or while waiting for me to pick them up) and it doesn't wind up being an issue.

2. If my male helper shows up with ghetto baggy pants/visible butt crack/visible undies....he goes home. This has only ever been an issue for me with female helpers and it is because the uniform pants they are issued are for men and dont fit properly. Not their fault, so our first stop is a public restroom where they change back into their own pants and the uniform ones get tossed in the trash.

3. The fact that I cannot use the helper as "efficiently" as the IE nitwits in Atlanta would like me to is their problem, not mine. If they dont want me to have a helper, they dont have to give me one. If they need me to use one, I will...to the best of my ability and the helpers. If it doesn't look good one of their stupid reports...tough :censored2:. I work in the real world, they dont.

4. If I have to break trace or lose time to pick up a helper or take them back to their car...too bad. Its all part of the deal and its all built in. If I have to break trace so my helper can use a bathroom....too bad. Its all part of the deal and its all built in.

5. Helper boards---if my helper can use a DIAD... great. He/she will put as many stops in it as is needed to get the packages efficiently delivered. If my helper cant use a DIAD.....no problem. The board gets pitched into the back of the truck and used as a door stop where needed. I could care less about meeting any of IE's silly quotas. Once again, I work in the real world and they dont.

6. Annoying conversations---not really my problem. I will trade annoying words and personalities for a reduction in the wear and tear on my body any day of the week.

Helpers are what you make of them. They can only bother you if you let them.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Ive always had good jumpers. Usually picked or recruited my own for peak, makes a big difference for real. We have alot of part timers always jockying to jump with me at peak cause they know JUMPDADDY takes care of his jumpers and its well known all across the center. Funny having multiple part timers asking me if i have a jumper yet. Alot of times its hyptnotizing the jumper into shape to be good. Praise, compassion, getting them to buy into the whole team thing is the key. Throw them some greenbacks i get from customers, lil lunch here and there, show em some love, its all a mind game and my job is to sell them on it, which to this date still hasnt failed yet lol. I get the whole thing with crappy jumpers but with a little extra mind work, you can whip a benchwarmer into an allstar with the proper coaching lol. If you use the jumper right it works into your favor. Usually i go left and he goes right all day long simutaneously. Always try n get 2 3 4 stops off every time i stop that truck for a stop. All depends on where your delivering to utilize that principal obviously. But lets be real though, not all drivers utilize their jumpers the most efficiently and effectively way.