Not recognized for 25 years of service

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We don't get coffee or donuts for safety recognition in feeders, mngmnt was told by I . E that they ran the numbers and were sure that the feeder driver would most likely have 2 coffees ,thus causing him to pull over to pee more than on plan,and the average feeder drv would have 2 glazed donuts,thus putting more weight on tractor causing more fuel consupmtion per trip!! then to make matters worse uniforms would have to be ordered to go up a size in feedah pants every time we had a recognition day!!

brownrodster

We don't get coffee or donuts for safety recognition in feeders, mngmnt was told by I . E that they ran the numbers and were sure that the feeder driver would most likely have 2 coffees ,thus causing him to pull over to pee more than on plan,and the average feeder drv would have 2 glazed donuts,thus putting more weight on tractor causing more fuel consupmtion per trip!! then to make matters worse uniforms would have to be ordered to go up a size in feedah pants every time we had a recognition day!!

I was told by a Feeder driver who is retiring soon that management won't even recognize their retirement. On their last day they are lucky if they get a "cya later."

I personally am fine with no recognition. Just show's my lack of care to have anything to do with most of my coworkers. But I understand completely why some people care.

I plan on ninja retiring if it's possible. I will just not be there one day. Hopefully a day when they really need extra drivers. I'm walking out the door with middle fingers held high. That's my retirement party.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

My rant has nothing to do with my job. It has everything to do with what is right. It has everything to do with simple respect. Anyone who has been with any company for the amount of time talked about here should be recognized for their work. It is the right thing to do. And that recognition does not have to costs tons of money.

Can't argue with any of that.

Perhaps it doesn't have anything to do with the Years of Service recognition but more with the immediate management providing recognition on a personal basis.

For my self personally, I'll take the plaques and gifts but that is not what motivates me or makes me feel good. It is about that personal recognition from doing something well and then getting recognition about that specific event/action.

When someone told me that I was doing a good job without referring to a specific, I tended to take it with a grain of salt.

That's why the Years of Service means very little to me but Years of Safe Driving does.

Getting 25 years safe driving (even with qualifications) is quite a feat.

sano

Happened to me when I got my 30 years of service five years ago. They didn''t give me the cake and when I spoke about it to my center manager he mocked me. A few months later I got a msg from the clerk that my plaque was in the office. They didn't even hand it to me at the morning meeting.

I'll have 35 years this fall and they can keep their awards.

35 years? What are you thinking?
Isn't it time to play you guitar full time:happy-very:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I plan on ninja retiring if it's possible. I will just not be there one day. Hopefully a day when they really need extra drivers. I'm walking out the door with middle fingers held high. That's my retirement party.

Dude! You must be reading my mind!:devil3:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
There is something terribly wrong with this company. The many men and women that have put their lives and backs into this company for so many years and then to be ignored and pushed aside or laughed at is just plain wrong. It is unconscionable and downright rude. UPS has no respect for their employees or for the company as a whole. Money grubbing, self centered bastards, the lot of them. :soapbox: I hope that some day they regret their choices and the direction they have allowed the company to go.
You're responding to UPS as a them, when UPS hasn't been a them for a very long time. UPS is now run by robots, and robots have no feelings. Just thought I'd point this out.

It is simply amazing to me that a company that has been around this long due to the commitment of its' employees has begun to simply ignore them.
A few posts before, someone said they didn't need a thank you or atta boy to work. But think about it - the 5 or 6 calories it would have taken someone to say "Good Job" would have such an overall positive effect on the employee - and therefore the company. Nobody on high knows this?

UPS is still living off of its' old reputation - It is no longer a desirable place to work. In a few years when the reputation is totally gone, and the Union has helped its new hire brothers by having the benefits start in 2 years and maybe even lower the starting wage, UPS will be in more trouble than any economic downturn could cause.
See my above comment.

We had a guy reach a level of service (I think it was 25 but I'm not sure) and he was on vacation when the plaque came in. When he came back, someone threw it on the seat of his truck while he was in the back looking in his load. No recognition or anything. Well, this guy is a true smart***** in every since of the word. To get back at the center manager for the lack of recognition, he sent his plaque via certified mail to Mike Eskew at 55 Glenlake along with a letter explaining the way he received it. Wow...there was a huge hailstorm that rained down on our center manager. We had people over from corporate and everything. The guy did get his recognition but in the end it did cost him as the center manager did everything in his power to get back at the driver. Eventually he bid out of our center to a combo route. The guy is a great guy to chat with and I always told him after that happened that he really had some steel cahones to do what he did.
That is hilarious. Please tell him that I thought it was a great thing that he did, when you see him.

Careful - you are gonna hear how much business we get from NASCAR from the "left hand turn only" crowd
I'm a left turning freak, but I'm with you on this.

I was told by a Feeder driver who is retiring soon that management won't even recognize their retirement. On their last day they are lucky if they get a "cya later."

I personally am fine with no recognition. Just show's my lack of care to have anything to do with most of my coworkers. But I understand completely why some people care.

You could of course, give yourself recognition. The day you retire, walk into the center manager's office, tear the brown uniform off, lay it on his/her desk and say, CYA!

wisedragonfly

Yes, Hoax, I do have a good friend that has been with the company for 23 yrs. And I have been on here long enough to have read many posts of the many 'old timers'.

My rant has nothing to do with my job. It has everything to do with what is right. It has everything to do with simple respect. Anyone who has been with any company for the amount of time talked about here should be recognized for their work. It is the right thing to do. And that recognition does not have to costs tons of money.

I agree with you dilli. I give my entire self to UPS while I'm on the clock, every single day. It would hurt my feelings, in a bad way, if my management team ignored my milestone. :sad-very: I don't need bells and whistles, but a simple acknowledgment of thanks makes all the difference.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I agree with you dilli. I give my entire self to UPS while I'm on the clock, every single day. It would hurt my feelings, in a bad way, if my management team ignored my milestone. :sad-very: I don't need bells and whistles, but a simple acknowledgment of thanks makes all the difference.
Thank you Dragonfly. This is exactly my point.
You're responding to UPS as a them, when UPS hasn't been a them for a very long time. UPS is now run by robots, and robots have no feelings. Just thought I'd point this out.
It's sad but true.
See my above comment.

That is hilarious. Please tell him that I thought it was a great thing that he did, when you see him.

I'm a left turning freak, but I'm with you on this.

You could of course, give yourself recognition. The day you retire, walk into the center manager's office, tear the brown uniform off, lay it on his/her desk and say, CYA!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Can't argue with any of that.

Perhaps it doesn't have anything to do with the Years of Service recognition but more with the immediate management providing recognition on a personal basis.

For my self personally, I'll take the plaques and gifts but that is not what motivates me or makes me feel good. It is about that personal recognition from doing something well and then getting recognition about that specific event/action.

When someone told me that I was doing a good job without referring to a specific, I tended to take it with a grain of salt.

That's why the Years of Service means very little to me but Years of Safe Driving does.

Getting 25 years safe driving (even with qualifications) is quite a feat.
Hoax, if the truth were to be told, I doubt the plaques and prizes are what motivates many of us. It is just a perk. What is important is for UPS to honor that service, not with gifts but with a handshake and a thank you.

pretzel_man

Hoax, if the truth were to be told, I doubt the plaques and prizes are what motivates many of us. It is just a perk. What is important is for UPS to honor that service, not with gifts but with a handshake and a thank you.

I agree with you.

A memo came out from corporate yesterday trying to clarify what is supposed to happen with the milestones.

It basically says what you just said. It says that because of the "unprecedented global economic times", the gifts are not being given out, but the recognition still should take place.

It says that on the anniversary date there should be some recognition and a certificate, and that on founders day there would be recognition and a plaque.

To me, this is common sense and a manager should not need a memo from corporate to take this action.

Recognition is free, and when heart felt goes a long way.

P-Man

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree with you.

A memo came out from corporate yesterday trying to clarify what is supposed to happen with the milestones.

It basically says what you just said. It says that because of the "unprecedented global economic times", the gifts are not being given out, but the recognition still should take place.

It says that on the anniversary date there should be some recognition and a certificate, and that on founders day there would be recognition and a plaque.

To me, this is common sense and a manager should not need a memo from corporate to take this action.

Recognition is free, and when heart felt goes a long way.

P-Man
Pman once again I agree 100% with you! The fact that ups had to issue a "memo" to inform their management team to follow through is heart breaking! Or is it a sign that management are not allowed to think outside the script?

I personally do not care for the gifts but the circle of honor is our hall of fame. There is no higher goal to aim for as a ups driver! To hit that milestone means that you are the best of the best! And to take away this recognition is a disaster! No CEO of this company that have worked their way up through the ups system would ever have done this! This is a draw back of promoting from outside!

Last edited:

tiegirl

tiegirl
Wow. That is unbelievable. 25 years of getting up running to do the best job you can do for UPS and it goes unrecogized.

Congratulations to you!

QUOTE=8Years2Go;516872]I realize that they stopped with the gifts for Years of Service, Safe Driving and the Circle of Honor Banquet (better that then my benefits), but heck, they didn’t even recognize me for 25 years of service two week ago. I asked my center manager twice and he/she said they would look into it. Never did hear back from them on the subject. The Hell with it! As long as the checks keep coming in.[/QUOTE]

pretzel_man

Pman once again I agree 100% with you! The fact that ups had to issue a "memo" to inform their management team to follow through is heart breaking! Or is it a sign that management are not allowed to think outside the script?

I personally do not care for the gifts but the circle of honor is our hall of fame. There is no higher goal to aim for as a ups driver! To hit that milestone means that you are the best of the best! And to take away this recognition is a disaster! No CEO of this company that have worked their way up through the ups system would ever have done this! This is a draw back of promoting from outside!

I honestly do NOT think it has anything to do with management not allowed to think for themselves.

As far as not recognizing circle of honor, that is not the plan. Here is a quote:

"Because you have reached 25 years of safe driving, you will join the Circle of Honor and receive a new uniform with the shirtsleeve patch and the Circle of Honor jacket. The formal Circle of Honor banquets are suspended, but we will have local recognition."

The key is local recognition. I really think this is limited to individual locations and can be solved there.

P-Man

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our 3 most recent safe driving award recipients had their award boxes placed on top of the driver slots (where they put call tags/DFUs/etc) for them to pick up. There was no mention at the PCM.

My 20 yr service award is coming up in May--I will be curious to see how this is handled.