Not recognized for 25 years of service

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Our 3 most recent safe driving award recipients had their award boxes placed on top of the driver slots (where they put call tags/DFUs/etc) for them to pick up. There was no mention at the PCM.

My 20 yr service award is coming up in May--I will be curious to see how this is handled.
You could always walk into your center manager's office and toss it into his waste basket. Let him know that it means as little to you as it apparently does to him.

helenofcalifornia

That's funny you say that Jones, because that is what one driver has done every time he has received that award. He takes it from the manager and proceeds to the nearest trashcan and ceremoniously, dumps it. I always thought it was a waste of a perfectly good prize, but that's him.

And the placing of the award boxes at our center is also placed on top of the diad slot of the "honoree." That is if it is not in the stack of about 20 in the manager's office that sits there for about six months gathering dust.

tieguy

Banned
I honestly do NOT think it has anything to do with management not allowed to think for themselves.

As far as not recognizing circle of honor, that is not the plan. Here is a quote:

"Because you have reached 25 years of safe driving, you will join the Circle of Honor and receive a new uniform with the shirtsleeve patch and the Circle of Honor jacket. The formal Circle of Honor banquets are suspended, but we will have local recognition."

The key is local recognition. I really think this is limited to individual locations and can be solved there.

P-Man

This process should have been deemed untouchable. The guy who made this decision should have been required to go down and meet with the folks in the ranks and defend his decision instead of sending a memo.

pretzel_man

This process should have been deemed untouchable. The guy who made this decision should have been required to go down and meet with the folks in the ranks and defend his decision instead of sending a memo.

I'm not sure I understand your point. The management committee decided to eliminate banquets and gifts.

A clarification memo came out yesterday.

When I got the original notice, I never thought that I would therefore not recognize an employee just because they didn't get a gift.

Unfortunately, some poor managers did.

I'm not intending to challenge you, but we have been asked to cut costs in every possible way. Not giving out a gift or holding a banquet, doesn't seem extreme to me.

P-Man

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Our 3 most recent safe driving award recipients had their award boxes placed on top of the driver slots (where they put call tags/DFUs/etc) for them to pick up. There was no mention at the PCM.

My 20 yr service award is coming up in May--I will be curious to see how this is handled.
Upstate... you will get a cheap printed out piece of paper in a chauncy cardboard holder with your name stamped on it,just got my 20 yr in Jan,,came in & my pkge was on the seat of my tractor..now go out & get us same sales leads and stay in your power zone !!!

tieguy

Banned
I'm not sure I understand your point. The management committee decided to eliminate banquets and gifts.

A clarification memo came out yesterday.

When I got the original notice, I never thought that I would therefore not recognize an employee just because they didn't get a gift.

Unfortunately, some poor managers did.

I'm not intending to challenge you, but we have been asked to cut costs in every possible way. Not giving out a gift or holding a banquet, doesn't seem extreme to me.

P-Man

I agree its not an excuse to avoid the basics of recognition but when you get corporate mandates to cut all discretionary spending filtered through the levels and they then touch what many thought was an untouchable program then the message seems to be pretty clear. You have a building full of access gurus generating hundreds of reports telling you everything your operation does wrong before you even get to work. I don't think the quality of the manager was at play.

As red said the circle of honor is thier hall of fame. Its one expense i think should have been left untouched.

705red

Browncafe Steward
As red said the circle of honor is thier hall of fame. Its one expense i think should have been left untouched.
We as drivers need that extra push/incentive. We all take pride in our jobs on a daily basis, but truth be told we are no better then the guy next to us. Unless we have that circle of honor recognition! How much money does ups really spend on this banquet? Compared to how much money that these over 4,000 drivers saved the company in driving safely for 25 plus years? There is NO comparison! This benefit paid for itself hundreds of times over

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We as drivers need that extra push/incentive. We all take pride in our jobs on a daily basis, but truth be told we are no better then the guy next to us. Unless we have that circle of honor recognition! How much money does ups really spend on this banquet? Compared to how much money that these over 4,000 drivers saved the company in driving safely for 25 plus years? There is NO comparison! This benefit paid for itself hundreds of times over

Well put,705red. We usually have maybe one package driver a year out of about 130 that make it to the Circle of Honor. Most drivers will never make it. I have twenty safe years and hope I can get five more before I retire. I don't really care about the night in a hotel and the jacket, but the dinner and plaque would be something to look forward to.

over9five

Staff member
I don't care that they've discontinued safety awards and Circle of Honor dinners. Don't think I'd go anyhow (Is it paid time?).

But what really irks me is that they've thrown out this stuff while throwing millions out the window with NASCAR!

Corporate Monitor, take a note: GET US OUT OF NASCAR!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My loader was asked to drive this week as we were short staffed due to vacations (Spring Break). The substitute loader just does not do the same job, although not from lack of effort. I made sure to thank him every day and will find him first thing tomorrow morning and thank him again for his hard work. Did my thanking him improve the load quality? No, but I did notice that the effort he put forth actually increased as the week went by. The ironic part is that Josh (my loader) complained to me about the quality of his load.

My point? How hard would it be for a center manager to walk up to you, extend his hand, and say "Thank you", whether it be for 25 years of service or for whatever reason.

I am not a candidate for the Circle of Honor but I do feel that this program, along with the banquet, jacket and overnight hotel stay, should have been maintained as this is our Hall of Fame and something that we aspire to. The program could have been paid ten fold through the savings these drivers afforded UPS.

M

Meliorate

I don't care that they've discontinued safety awards and Circle of Honor dinners. Don't think I'd go anyhow (Is it paid time?).

But what really irks me is that they've thrown out this stuff while throwing millions out the window with NASCAR!

I'll bring this up in our weekly Monday morning meeting during the review of Brown Cafe trends.

I have seen this as a recurring sore spot with many UPSers posting here.

Don't know that anything can be done contracturally though.

tieguy

Banned
I'll bring this up in our weekly Monday morning meeting during the review of Brown Cafe trends.

I have seen this as a recurring sore spot with many UPSers posting here.

Don't know that anything can be done contracturally though.

everyone should now hold thier breath.

I really doubt that most of us need a handshake or a plaque or recognition in the PCM, especially if they are not genuine. Not to say there is anything wrong with that, but if you need recognition to keep going you are in for some severe disappointment.
In the years I have been going to PCMs I have witnessed hundreds of of such and have seen maybe two or three that seemed genuine, times where I got the warm fuzzy feeling that the center manager or DM meant the flowery words said towards the drivers, and they were at retirement recognitions. The rest all felt like a management opprotunity to try and convince us that there was a level of concern that extended beyond the financial impact of safe driving. Throughout the years, some of the 25 year safe drivers would even get a cake on their day, the rest of the time they just got a 20 stop cut.
I do understand that in these economic times that money needs to be saved, but there are many other plces it can be saved that are being ignored.

From me to everyone that has reached another year of safe driving and of service to UPS, Heart felt Congratulations for surviving another year.

pretzel_man

I agree its not an excuse to avoid the basics of recognition but when you get corporate mandates to cut all discretionary spending filtered through the levels and they then touch what many thought was an untouchable program then the message seems to be pretty clear. You have a building full of access gurus generating hundreds of reports telling you everything your operation does wrong before you even get to work. I don't think the quality of the manager was at play.

The plan for Circle of Honor is no banquet. Here is the text:

Because you have reached 25 years of safe driving, you will join the Circle of Honor and receive a new uniform with the shirtsleeve patch and the Circle of Honor jacket. The formal Circle of Honor banquets are suspended, but we will have local recognition.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

There really is no "corporate monitor", persay. My postings were reported my a "meanager" that works here in south Florida, who I guess doesn't understand that friends get together and talk smack about this or that, all the time.

I'm sure there are similar people in each region, though it is hard to "get" someone that posts anonymously, that would love to stop us from having fun, even if it's not at work. Hats off to you "corporate monitors", or should I just say, out of shape loser? This post is not aimed at tie, or any othermgtpeople, but at all the others out there that come to snoop, rather than be part of the community.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If there really was a Corporate Monitor on this site, why is the company not implementing all the great ideas we come up with on here.:happy-very: