Not Scheduled to Work a Saturday—Can I be Forced?

LaTulla

Alright guys, I realize peak season is upon us, but I have to ask:

I was not scheduled to work this Saturday, like most of our center. Center management informed us we would be working, but again, I was not scheduled to work.

Can I be forced to work if not scheduled on the Friday before? There seems to be some disagreement.

edit: I have a prior engagement (refereeing a soccer tournament)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You said your center team told you that you were working, not sure what the disconnect is. What does your steward say?

LaTulla

You said your center team told you that you were working, not sure what the disconnect is. What does your steward say?

The steward says that we must be scheduled the Friday before and they cannot simply inform us verbally. The disconnect is that I cannot find that in the contract anywhere except where it says that an employee shall not be disciplined for tardiness if the employer fails to post a start time.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The steward says that we must be scheduled the Friday before and they cannot simply inform us verbally. The disconnect is that I cannot find that in the contract anywhere except where it says that an employee shall not be disciplined for tardiness if the employer fails to post a start time.
Central you have to be scheduled the Friday before. Ask from the top force from the bottom.

El Correcto

god is dead
Alright guys, I realize peak season is upon us, but I have to ask:

I was not scheduled to work this Saturday, like most of our center. Center management informed us we would be working, but again, I was not scheduled to work.

Can I be forced to work if not scheduled on the Friday before? There seems to be some disagreement.

edit: I have a prior engagement (refereeing a soccer tournament)
Tell them to bring it on, you’ll be at your house they are welcome to come force you into work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tell them to bring it on, you’ll be at your house they are welcome to come force you into work.

Unless the soccer tournament is being held in his backyard he will not be at his house.

To the OP-------announcements made during a PCM are the same as information posted on a bulletin board. Enjoy your day at work.

Drink Craft Beer

All that is required is 24 hours notice-----does not state that it has to be written.
A 24hr notice is needed to change a posted scheduled start time, if they want you to start earlier than it says.

My union rep say if it's on the schedule Friday to work next Saturday, then they expect you to go in. But if told on Friday that "we need you to work tomorrow", then just basically tell them to :censored2: themselves.

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

Just go in these 4 Saturday’s and stop complaining. Gotta pick your battles. This is peak. 3 weeks out of your life. Time to make some money.
Negative goose .

This is time I spend with my family . Kids grow up and missing the time when they are young and still have that Christmas joy in their eyes is priceless .

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Negative goose .

This is time I spend with my family . Kids grow up and missing the time when they are young and still have that Christmas joy in their eyes is priceless .
See someone like you would just call in. No problem. I get like that at times throughout the year where I’m like “friend that.” I have no problem with people not wanting to work extra around here, I usually avoid extra work at all costs. Never volunteer. It’s just a choice I make to be all in during peak and cash as much as I can.
I keep seeing all these “can they force me in on my day off” posts and of course, the answer is NO. Nobody can force you to do anything. If you don’t want to work, call in and bring your lube with you on Monday. No skin off my back. You won’t get fired. You won’t get in huge trouble as long as you have sick days to burn. But if you’re new and complaining about working Saturdays during peak.....might not be a good job for you.