Not Scheduled to Work a Saturday—Can I be Forced?

Indecisi0n

See someone like you would just call in. No problem. I get like that at times throughout the year where I’m like “friend that.” I have no problem with people not wanting to work extra around here, I usually avoid extra work at all costs. Never volunteer. It’s just a choice I make to be all in during peak and cash as much as I can.
I keep seeing all these “can they force me in on my day off” posts and of course, the answer is NO. Nobody can force you to do anything. If you don’t want to work, call in and bring your lube with you on Monday. No skin off my back. You won’t get fired. You won’t get in huge trouble as long as you have sick days to burn. But if you’re new and complaining about working Saturdays during peak.....might not be a good job for you.
You won't get in ANY trouble . It's in our contract you cannot be forced to work a 6th punch (in my local) . These guys need to learn their rights . My last peak in package I was told to report every Saturday and I neither showed up or called in. Not a word was mentioned to me about it .

KoennenTiger

It was quiet on my end. I delivered 35 stops, rolled 6 to Monday and was punched out by 12:45pm.

I did 32 stops off my own route, 110 pieces, and sorted my own mostly loaded truck in perfect order. Pulled off two misloads. Four easy slow hours of double time. Now my Monday won't be hell.

why are you accepting time worked?

Because if I want code 6 they will direct me to go help some low seniority guy who was forced to come in delivering resis in some area I don't know. I just want to run my route, get my resis off, deliver the businesses I know are open, and get paid double time to sort my own truck perfectly. Then go home.

Bob11B

Sorry but you’re a UPS driver...of course you’re going to put in extra hours during Christmas....this is like soldiers bitching about deploying....you knew it when you signed up for the job. Enjoy the OT and get the kids something nice for Christmas....time to man up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I did 32 stops off my own route, 110 pieces, and sorted my own mostly loaded truck in perfect order. Pulled off two misloads. Four easy slow hours of double time. Now my Monday won't be hell.

Because if I want code 6 they will direct me to go help some low seniority guy who was forced to come in delivering resis in some area I don't know. I just want to run my route, get my resis off, deliver the businesses I know are open, and get paid double time to sort my own truck perfectly. Then go home.

I assume that they will be running the same plan on Monday----if not, you got paid a lot of money to basically waste your time to "sort your own truck perfectly".

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD

UPS said in the beginning we don’t deliver commercial ground ..Now it’s peak and they want us to deliver businesses on sat ..absolutely not

SaladTosser

Kill me now
Just go in these 4 Saturday’s and stop complaining. Gotta pick your battles. This is peak. 3 weeks out of your life. Time to make some money.
After finally completing progression, I can see it this way. But while you’re not getting paid as much as everyone else, I’d be angry too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS said in the beginning we don’t deliver commercial ground ..Now it’s peak and they want us to deliver businesses on sat ..absolutely not

Why not? If you are on road and they are open why not get rid of them?

Do you think I am going to drive by Gamestop and not deliver their packages?