Notifying the Union of an employee

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I know. But a steward is like a lawyer. He has to defend everyone equally, right or wrong.
And I get that. But the slug knows that. He's going to take advantage of it. Some stewards or even just every other union employee should be warning the guy. But instead it's instantly "grieve it its managements problem you have to respond to a text." Sometimes it's just comical ya know?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This sorry little part supe, is asking us in the Union Forum, how to discipline one of his employees???
As far as I'm concerned, he needs to get out of our yard with that trash.
I don't consider it trash if what he says is true.

Is he in the wrong forum sure. Does that mean we have to be dicks. No

And I get that. But the slug knows that. He's going to take advantage of it. Some stewards or even just every other union employee should be warning the guy. But instead it's instantly "grieve it its managements problem you have to respond to a text." Sometimes it's just comical ya know?
Frigid,I've been there a long time. Eventually the "bad" employees get shown the door.

Trust me I have no love for management. You wouldn't even believe half of the stories, if I could post them

Part of the problem is the youth. They haven't grown up enough to realize how much this job could change your life.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Is it our place to protect this slug?
Who and how are we protecting the "slug"?

Because some wet behind the ears part time supe comes on here and tells a story, all of a sudden this is where a forum full of union members minds go???

I'll give you an example, he says he reports to work even though he was suspended.
You know what that tells me?
It tells me this little dork doesn't even understand that the employee gets to work until the grievance for the suspension is heard.

There is a system in place that was negotiated for by both the company and union, and in this instance the issue is progressive.
If the company meets their series of burdens, this employee will either correct his alleged behavior, or he will be gone.

Thank God this Kangaroo Court isn't the one passing judgement.

Because some wet behind the ears part time supe comes on here and tells a story, all of a sudden this is where a forum full of union members minds go???

I'll give you an example, he says he reports to work even though he was suspended.
It tells me this little dork doesn't even understand that the employee gets to work until the grievance for the suspension is heard.

There is a system in place that was negotiated for by both the company and union, and in this instance the issue is progressive.
If the company meets their series of burdens, this employee will either correct his alleged behavior, or he will be gone.

Bubble. You know I like you and respect you.

This is the Brown Cafe,not work. We can break bread here and fight tomorrow at work.

Peace my brother.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Frigid,I've been there a long time. Eventually the "bad" employees get shown the door.

Trust me I have no love for management. You wouldn't even believe half of the stories, if I could post them

Part of the problem is the youth. They haven't grown up enough to realize how much this job could change your life.
I know you've been here a while. You hopefully know I respect your view tremendously (hell you guys in NF helped me more in qualifying than my management team.) but I just find it so frustrating when I have someone who is just so bad and I have to bend over backwards to get rid of him when I know he's a bad seed, his coworkers know he's a bad seed, and the steward knows he's a bad seed. I do understand why the safeguards are in place, and frankly past management has shot themselves in the foot making it necessary to be this way. Yes they're never going to make it easier. But when I have 8 guys on a sort, one slug screws it for the rest. I just wish it was easier and I don't have to take the hit every night for a couple months until I finally have enough to discharge the employee.

I know you've been here a while. You hopefully know I respect your view tremendously (hell you guys in NF helped me more in qualifying than my management team.) but I just find it so frustrating when I have someone who is just so bad and I have to bend over backwards to get rid of him when I know he's a bad seed, his coworkers know he's a bad seed, and the steward knows he's a bad seed. I do understand why the safeguards are in place, and frankly past management has shot themselves in the foot making it necessary to be this way. Yes they're never going to make it easier. But when I have 8 guys on a sort, one slug screws it for the rest. I just wish it was easier and I don't have to take the hit every night for a couple months until I finally have enough to discharge the employee.
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately this place is getting worse, not better.

It's the Hatfield's and McCoy's.

The days of having a beer with a Sup after work and not talking shop are long gone.

Thankfully I'm in the 4th quarter not the first.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I am a part-time supervisor working on the sort isle after being moved from running an unload belt. However, I have a bit of a problem. There is an extremely lazy employee that missorts on purpose, purposely gets in other peoples way, and will not go where I ask him to go. He has filed a grievance against me accusing me of singling him out for being on his phone... The irony in it... But he is on his phone non-stop through the entire shift. I usually don't mind if its a quick text here and there just as long as they don't have the phone in their hand longer than 15 seconds. I am wondering how I deal with this. I was thinking of writing everything he does wrong such as not obeying directions, or missorting, or playing on his phone in a journal and reporting it to management and our local once I have enough "evidence". Normally, I don't care if someone is lazy, they dig their own grave and I send them home and I get rid of the problem, however this employee will never go home and stays the full shift fiddling around on his phone or spending forty minutes in the bathroom. Any opinions?
Piss off.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I see the system in place as an opportunity for the employee to correct legitimate issues that are brought to their attention.
What frustrates me is how many of these "issues" are born out of unrealistic and unrecognized production standards.

I see it over and over in the package car ranks, as a guy gets long and the tooth and naturally slower, then all of a sudden he is found to have method infractions.
With 340 documented methods (and I have to believe there are more), how hard can it be to find someone remiss?
Unfortunately, UPS only seems to care about these "infractions" when we aren't breaking the rules fast enough.

Last edited:

I am a nineteen year old college student that ran a seal coating crew at an asphalt company at 17. I know more or less how management works, if they sat on their ass all day on their phone I'd tell them to pack their stuff and never come back. Did I find out this is the wrong forum? Yes, do you have to be an ass about it? No. I'm simply asking for advice on how to deal with this situation, also, he has not been suspended while I have been on the sort isle, I knew he was suspended when I was running my unload belt. I treat everyone fairly and get us pizza from time to time. I'm an "I will" sup and get my things done. What I do mind however are employees who use the Teamsters as an excuse to sit on their ass all day which then pisses off the other employees, would you mind having to cover two trailers cause some lazy ass refuses to do his work? Probably.

It simply isn't our problem, or place, to give this inept supervisor advice on how to discipline a union employee.
It's quite simple really, don't reply to the thread if you don't think it's your place. Others have given me advice I didn't really think of before. It was all I was looking for, I wasn't looking for support of any kind, just advice because the guys on my belt are as tired as I am with this guy's attitude, yet will grieve any management employee when approached.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am a nineteen year old college student that ran a seal coating crew at an asphalt company at 17. I know more or less how management works, if they sat on their ass all day on their phone I'd tell them to pack their stuff and never come back. Did I find out this is the wrong forum? Yes, do you have to be an ass about it? No. I'm simply asking for advice on how to deal with this situation, also, he has not been suspended while I have been on the sort isle, I knew he was suspended when I was running my unload belt. I treat everyone fairly and get us pizza from time to time. I'm an "I will" sup and get my things done. What I do mind however are employees who use the Teamsters as an excuse to sit on their ass all day which then pisses off the other employees, would you mind having to cover two trailers cause some lazy ass refuses to do his work? Probably.
It's quite simple really, don't reply to the thread if you don't think it's your place. Others have given me advice I didn't really think of before. It was all I was looking for, I wasn't looking for support of any kind, just advice because the guys on my belt are as tired as I am with this guy's attitude, yet will grieve any management employee when approached.
You need to learn the contract and ask other management people how to manage within their corporate structure.
This isn't an asphalt seal coating crew.
Good luck and sorry of I was a dick about it.
I was more disappointed with the Teamsters who were breaking our Oath.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You need to learn the contract and ask other management people how to manage within their corporate structure.
This isn't an asphalt seal coating crew.
Good luck and sorry of I was a dick about it.
I was more disappointed with the Teamsters who were breaking our Oath.

There is no breaking an oath. A bad employee is a bad employee regardless of the contract. If what this guy is describing is true then this guy makes all teamsters look bad. Not to mention it will be a lower level teamster that has to pick up he slack for this guy. I am tired of are union protecting people like this while people who make one mistake but are overall good employees get fired. While this jackoff makes mistake after mistake everyday.

There is no breaking an oath. A bad employee is a bad employee regardless of the contract. If what this guy is describing is true then this guy makes all teamsters look bad. Not to mention it will be a lower level teamster that has to pick up he slack for this guy. I am tired of are union protecting people like this while people who make one mistake but are overall good employees get fired. While this jackoff makes mistake after mistake everyday.
Exactly! I think the way our discipline policy is way out of line. A while ago a poor dude on another belt found a pair of earrings. He thought he had put them down but some piece of metal or the actual stone fell but was left in his pocket. Security guards caught it and the dude was fired.... It was an honest mistake. Luckily he got his job back but regardless, things like that are unacceptable. Random Joe Blow fiddling around on his phone for four hours makes his coworkers work harder so he can send his selfies to his girlfriend while Steve who is an exemplary employee in the background gets fired for an honest mistake. Something like that happened anyway.

Sure you do buddy. We all knew everything at nineteen.
Not saying I know it all, I'm quite young and other than that, have no other management experience, it was simple management there. "You don't wanna get off your phone? Clock out. You're done." While things here at UPS are much more intricate. Regardless, I am here asking this question due to lack of experience in a corporation.