Notifying the Union of an employee

I am a part-time supervisor working on the sort isle after being moved from running an unload belt. However, I have a bit of a problem. There is an extremely lazy employee that missorts on purpose, purposely gets in other peoples way, and will not go where I ask him to go. He has filed a grievance against me accusing me of singling him out for being on his phone... The irony in it... But he is on his phone non-stop through the entire shift. I usually don't mind if its a quick text here and there just as long as they don't have the phone in their hand longer than 15 seconds. I am wondering how I deal with this. I was thinking of writing everything he does wrong such as not obeying directions, or missorting, or playing on his phone in a journal and reporting it to management and our local once I have enough "evidence". Normally, I don't care if someone is lazy, they dig their own grave and I send them home and I get rid of the problem, however this employee will never go home and stays the full shift fiddling around on his phone or spending forty minutes in the bathroom. Any opinions?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have written him up before. He does not care at all. He has been suspended but will come in during his suspension. I am good friends with our shop steward and joke around with the guy constantly and have been asking what I can do about the situation.
If he's suspended and comes in kindly tell him to leave he's suspended. Just keep using progressive discipline. Sounds like he will dig his own grave.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am a part-time supervisor working on the sort isle after being moved from running an unload belt. However, I have a bit of a problem. There is an extremely lazy employee that missorts on purpose, purposely gets in other peoples way, and will not go where I ask him to go. He has filed a grievance against me accusing me of singling him out for being on his phone... The irony in it... But he is on his phone non-stop through the entire shift. I usually don't mind if its a quick text here and there just as long as they don't have the phone in their hand longer than 15 seconds. I am wondering how I deal with this. I was thinking of writing everything he does wrong such as not obeying directions, or missorting, or playing on his phone in a journal and reporting it to management and our local once I have enough "evidence". Normally, I don't care if someone is lazy, they dig their own grave and I send them home and I get rid of the problem, however this employee will never go home and stays the full shift fiddling around on his phone or spending forty minutes in the bathroom. Any opinions?
I have written him up before. He does not care at all. He has been suspended but will come in during his suspension. I am good friends with our shop steward and joke around with the guy constantly and have been asking what I can do about the situation.

You're in the wrong forum!!!!
Go post this junk in the "partners" forum.

What you (and a couple of quick on the trigger supposed union members) don't seem to understand, is Teamsters don't bring reproach upon one another in the workplace.
The irony of it all is that you seem about as sorry at your job as you claim this guy to be at his.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
What kind of supervisor let's a suspended employee work?
A bad one.

What you (and a couple of quick on the trigger supposed union members) don't seem to understand, is Teamsters don't bring reproach upon one another in the workplace.
The irony of it all is that you seem about as sorry at your job as you claim this guy to be at his.
The fundamental problem with unions right here. Let's cover for someone who is useless.

He was just asking. I don't want to see any of my brothers getting into trouble. At the same time I aint doing their :censored2:ing job,because they are a Slacker.

This sorry little part supe, is asking us in the Union Forum, how to discipline one of his employees???
As far as I'm concerned, he needs to get out of our yard with that trash.
I can understand your point of view. Maybe he was thinking outside of the box and not drinking Brown look aid.

The answer I should have given him was.
Get a senior employee to talk to him. Let him explain that if he doesn't shape up, he will be out the door.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I will agree that there are a few people that don't deserve their jobs. At the sametime management goes overboard with discipline to some of the employees.

Guess it's a balancing act?
They're trying to make examples of them. But they usually make examples out of the wrong ones. They go for the ones who say it's for safety, and not the idiots who sit on their phones.

Why someone would defend someone who is so blatantly lazy is beyond me. My one issue with the union is the defending of the lazy. I don't walk around saying oh lazy teamsters (as much as I joke in NF). It's those lazy ones that get defended that give you all a bad name and I can't figure why so many would be okay with that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can understand your point of view. Maybe he was thinking outside of the box and not drinking Brown look aid.

The answer I should have given him was.
Get a senior employee to talk to him. Let him explain that if he doesn't shape up, he will be out the door.
It simply isn't our problem, or place, to give this inept supervisor advice on how to discipline a union employee.

They're trying to make examples of them. But they usually make examples out of the wrong ones. They go for the ones who say it's for safety, and not the idiots who sit on their phones.

Why someone would defend someone who is so blatantly lazy is beyond me. My one issue with the union is the defending of the lazy. I don't walk around saying oh lazy teamsters (as much as I joke in NF). It's those lazy ones that get defended that give you all a bad name and I can't figure why so many would be okay with that.
I know. But a steward is like a lawyer. He has to defend everyone equally, right or wrong.