Now what? Opt In / Opt Out

JustTired

free at last.......
The early ratification was over concerns for the Central States Pension and the changes in pension laws that take effect Jan 2008. The contract states that all non-economics would take effect Jan 1,2008. So , no, the raises will take effect Aug 1,2008.

True...the contract doesn't take effect until all supplements have passed. I'm sure some exception could be made for this if that isn't the case, though.

Back on topic..........I've stated elsewhere that, in my opinion, whether you opted in or out won't really make a difference in your dispatch. Everyone will still be working the same hours as they have been. The only difference is the penalty paid if you grieve it. That is, of course, unless you're dumb enough to "opt out". By opting out, you give up your right to grieve on 9.5 matters. Junk language that does nothing to alleviate the problem of overdispatching.

BigBrownSanta

Re: Now what? Opt In / Opt Out

Everyone may "opt in", but how many will actually file a grievance?

You have basically the same language now (except it's double time) and while many drivers complain about the hours, they're too afraid of harassment to file a grievance.

IMO, most dispatches won't lessen because most drivers won't file the grievances. Those that do file will get 3 days of 9.5 and 2 days of up to 14 hours.

I could be wrong (and I hope I am). If not, it's too late to fix it now.

BrownShark

Banned
it should be noted that it will always be cheaper to pay the grievance than hire a new driver.

Expect no full time drivers added, and hundreds of grievances that will take up to 8 months to pay,

A win win for the company.

Peace.:peaceful:

J

JonFrum

Mike B,

No offense, but are you actually serious here? Ratified? What do you think just happened? Those votes that just got counted were for what in your opinion?

Once again, I say the same thing that everyone seems to have missed.

THE UNION GAVE BACK 8 MONTHS OF OUR CURRENT CONTRACT.

IT STARTS ON JANUARY 1 2008.

Why does everyone still believe the contract ends on July 31 2008??????

BrownShark,

"The Contract" consists of the National Master Agreement, and numerous (31?) regional Supplements and Riders. All, ( each one individually) have to receive a majority vote in order for "The Contract" to be ratified. If just one Supplement falls short of the 50%-plus-1 vote needed to pass, then the entire Contract is not yet ratified. In fact, five Supplements failed. Only when all five have passed will "The Conract" be ratified. Until then we are under the old (2002) contract that expires July 31, 2008. Any implimentation of the new contract language before it is ratified can not be legal if just one person objects. Such early implimentation is, in effect, a voluntary agreement between management and the employees. It is not contractually based.

pkg-king

I'm really amazed when I read some of these posts about what goes on in other centers. Our dispatch sup. won't send us out with over 9.5 hours of work at anytime. Work is always moved so that everyone is in range. We have about 40 routes in our center and on some days they all come in under 9.5. On an average day only 2 to 3 will be over 9.5, usually dure to unforscene things such as heavy pick-ups, getting stuck in the snow etc.

unionsteward104

CONTRACT EXPERT
WOW...I FEEL SORRY FOR SOME OF YOU PEOPLE... THIS CONTRACT IS THE SAME AS WHAT WE HAVE HAD FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS. WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE GRIPING ABOUT? WE ARE THE HIGHEST PAID IN THE INDUSTRY. MOST PEOPLE WANT 8 TO 9 AND THEN THE CRYING BEGINS. I HOPE EVERYONE OPTS/IN. I KNEW WHAT MY DAY WOULD CONSIST OF WHEN I TOOK THIS JOB 14 YEARS AGO. THE AVERAGE WAS 10 / 11 HOUR DAYS, BOY THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL PAY CHECK.. I AM CRYING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK. UPS HAS AFFORDED ME ALL THE BEST THINGS THAT LIFE HAS TO OFFER. SURE I HAVE BUSTED THERE BALLS FOR YEARS, BUT THAT IS ONLY BECAUSE YOU GET SOME STUPID SUPERVISORS THAT THINK THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT AND THEY TREAT PEOPLE LIKE :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, THEY ARE NOT ALL LIKE THAT, YOU ALL KNOW SOME OF THEM ARE YOUR FRIENDS.

THE PENSION IS BETTER THAN WE HAD...

WE GOT PAY RAISES....

WE GOT 5 MORE YEARS.....

WE GOT BETTER LANGUAGE...

WE CLEANED UP THE GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE...

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT WE GAVE UP??????

I AM STILL LOOKING.. STOP COMPLAINING AND START COUNTING....

MAKE IT TO RETIREMENT AND THEN SEE WHAT YOU GOT , COMPARED TO YOUR NEIGHBOR WHO WORKS AT ,,, YOU NAME IT......FILL IN THE BANK.... WAKE UP!!!!

BrownShark

Banned
WOW...I FEEL SORRY FOR SOME OF YOU PEOPLE... THIS CONTRACT IS THE SAME AS WHAT WE HAVE HAD FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS. WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE GRIPING ABOUT? WE ARE THE HIGHEST PAID IN THE INDUSTRY. MOST PEOPLE WANT 8 TO 9 AND THEN THE CRYING BEGINS. I HOPE EVERYONE OPTS/IN. I KNEW WHAT MY DAY WOULD CONSIST OF WHEN I TOOK THIS JOB 14 YEARS AGO. THE AVERAGE WAS 10 / 11 HOUR DAYS, BOY THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL PAY CHECK.. I AM CRYING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK. UPS HAS AFFORDED ME ALL THE BEST THINGS THAT LIFE HAS TO OFFER. SURE I HAVE BUSTED THERE BALLS FOR YEARS, BUT THAT IS ONLY BECAUSE YOU GET SOME STUPID SUPERVISORS THAT THINK THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT AND THEY TREAT PEOPLE LIKE :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, THEY ARE NOT ALL LIKE THAT, YOU ALL KNOW SOME OF THEM ARE YOUR FRIENDS.

THE PENSION IS BETTER THAN WE HAD...

WE GOT PAY RAISES....

WE GOT 5 MORE YEARS.....

WE GOT BETTER LANGUAGE...

WE CLEANED UP THE GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE...

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT WE GAVE UP??????

I AM STILL LOOKING.. STOP COMPLAINING AND START COUNTING....

MAKE IT TO RETIREMENT AND THEN SEE WHAT YOU GOT , COMPARED TO YOUR NEIGHBOR WHO WORKS AT ,,, YOU NAME IT......FILL IN THE BANK.... WAKE UP!!!!

Well, sounds like you had a fun 1st year on the job.

When you get to 19 yrs like I, come back and let us know how your body feels after all those 11 /12 hour days.

Its guys like you that need to OPT OUT and show the rest of us how the job is suppose to be done.

If your single, then it makes sense why you would like to work such extended hours. The rest of us who like women prefer to spend our time with our wifes and girlfriends.

Knock yourself out on the road.

tieguy

Banned

Well, sounds like you had a fun 1st year on the job.

When you get to 19 yrs like I, come back and let us know how your body feels after all those 11 /12 hour days.

Shark ,

Do you ever read these posts before you slam them? 104 says he took the job 14 years ago?

I like the way you slam your "brothers" without reading their posts and then put that little "peace" at the end. Real classy.

cino321

Shark ,

Do you ever read these posts before you slam them? 104 says he took the job 14 years ago?

I like the way you slam your "brothers" without reading their posts and then put that little "peace" at the end. Real classy.

Here we go, already with the union brother nonsense. What's your goal divide and conquer?

brazenbrown

Here we go, already with the union brother nonsense. What's your goal divide and conquer?

No, I think it would be more like, PAY ATTENTION before you go making posts with a misinformation tactic geared at diminishing the other poster...:wink2:

The only ones who want to divide and conquer are the ones who have no business doing so... The UN UPSers and the anti company people who don't realize who gives them a paycheck for "a fair days work"..

The union merely sucks off the tit of the corporation (somewhat like a leach) that supplies our livelihood and has been for 100 years, providing us with good paying jobs. I'd have to say that's pretty amazing...

So divide and conquer that, sucka!:happy-very:

BrownShark

Banned
No, I think it would be more like, PAY ATTENTION before you go making posts with a misinformation tactic geared at diminishing the other poster...:wink2:

The only ones who want to divide and conquer are the ones who have no business doing so... The UN UPSers and the anti company people who don't realize who gives them a paycheck for "a fair days work"..

The union merely sucks off the tit of the corporation (somewhat like a leach) that supplies our livelihood and has been for 100 years, providing us with good paying jobs. I'd have to say that's pretty amazing...

So divide and conquer that, sucka!:happy-very:

Brazenblown,

Do you forget that the TEAMSTERS were invited to represent the employees by the founder and CEO of UPS??

Why is it, that you work for a company, that pays you a wage that is negotiated for YOU, Benefits that are negotiated for YOU and contract language that protects YOU from the same company that you claim is the savior of all employees??

Without this negotiated contract, you would have worked for UPS for about 6 months before they "canned" your rear end and moved on to the next victim.

I guess you are of the belief that UPS wants to have 30 year employees on the books, or 15 year part timers. Maybe you believe UPS enjoys paying out benefits to all employees and sacrifices larger profits because of the kindness of their hearts for guys like you?

It amazes me the depth of peoples intelligence when they make a claim the employees are biting the hand that feeds them. Let me guess, do you pet your dogs rear end first when he comes up to you, or do you reach down and stroke his head?

The contract is something that YOU have to do absolutely nothing to gain a big benefit. Then, you turn around and call them leaches?

How close to the wages you currently earn, do you think you could get all by yourself with your dedicated service alone???

All the "ash" kissing in the world wouldn't bring you 50% of the hourly wage or benefits you currently have.

Why insult the collective barganing process all the while enjoying the benefits of it? It never ceases to amaze me the ignorance of such positions when it is clear that the very same company without this negotiated contract would remove ALL OF US and replace us in two seconds flat.

Maybe you are that one special guy that UPS would pay 32.50 an hour to deliver packages without a contract cause you love the company? But, I imagine even the best set of kneepads couldn't get that raise.

Why not in the least, thank the Teamsters for what they have done for the employees over the last 100 years and pray that they continue to represent the employees for the next 100??

This may not have been the best contract negotiated in the last 20 years, but it will do for the next 5. The real challenge will be to see what will happen in 2013 and what the company will expect us to lose then.

In the meantime, if you feel that the TEAMSTERS are merely a leaching entity, why not go to the company and ask them to stop paying your benefit package? Tell them that you want to make your own health care contributions and make your own personal investments to your private pension program and dont need the companies help.

Otherwise, your a fellow leach.

brazenbrown

Brazenblown,

Do you forget that the TEAMSTERS were invited to represent the employees by the founder and CEO of UPS??

Why is it, that you work for a company, that pays you a wage that is negotiated for YOU, Benefits that are negotiated for YOU and contract language that protects YOU from the same company that you claim is the savior of all employees??

Without this negotiated contract, you would have worked for UPS for about 6 months before they "canned" your rear end and moved on to the next victim.

I guess you are of the belief that UPS wants to have 30 year employees on the books, or 15 year part timers. Maybe you believe UPS enjoys paying out benefits to all employees and sacrifices larger profits because of the kindness of their hearts for guys like you?

It amazes me the depth of peoples intelligence when they make a claim the employees are biting the hand that feeds them. Let me guess, do you pet your dogs rear end first when he comes up to you, or do you reach down and stroke his head?

The contract is something that YOU have to do absolutely nothing to gain a big benefit. Then, you turn around and call them leaches?

How close to the wages you currently earn, do you think you could get all by yourself with your dedicated service alone???

All the "ash" kissing in the world wouldn't bring you 50% of the hourly wage or benefits you currently have.

Why insult the collective barganing process all the while enjoying the benefits of it? It never ceases to amaze me the ignorance of such positions when it is clear that the very same company without this negotiated contract would remove ALL OF US and replace us in two seconds flat.

Maybe you are that one special guy that UPS would pay 32.50 an hour to deliver packages without a contract cause you love the company? But, I imagine even the best set of kneepads couldn't get that raise.

Why not in the least, thank the Teamsters for what they have done for the employees over the last 100 years and pray that they continue to represent the employees for the next 100??

This may not have been the best contract negotiated in the last 20 years, but it will do for the next 5. The real challenge will be to see what will happen in 2013 and what the company will expect us to lose then.

In the meantime, if you feel that the TEAMSTERS are merely a leaching entity, why not go to the company and ask them to stop paying your benefit package? Tell them that you want to make your own health care contributions and make your own personal investments to your private pension program and dont need the companies help.

Otherwise, your a fellow leach.

Hey Brownshark,

Sounds like I upset you.

Let's make things clear; I don't have a problem with the Teamsters per se but more of a problem with some of its member's mentality and ungrateful displays of entitlement. There are members/employees who abuse the system and take every opportunity to disrupt things causing problems for others who just want to do their jobs and then they need the union to help clean up the mess they made.

Perhaps my analogy in using the term leach was a bit harsh my point is that UPS and the Teamsters have a symbiotic relationship (they need each other) such as the shark (no pun intended) and the remora, a small fish who eats the parasites off the shark and keeps the shark clean and healthy.

After giving it more thought does UPS really need the union?

Look at FedEx, sure they don't make as much but they don't work as hard and they don't make 50% less that we do..FedEx didn't have to bail out a screwed up Central States plan either. Maybe UPSers would be making more money than they do now if UPS didn't have to put up billions to rescue that debacle.

Just a thought!

Peace. :peaceful:

J

JonFrum

. . .FedEx didn't have to bail out a screwed up Central States plan either. . .

UPS didn't "bail out" Central States. They are just paying off their debt to Central States, as ERISA has required since 1980.

. . .Maybe UPSers would be making more money than they do now if UPS didn't have to put up billions to rescue that debacle. . .

UPS chose to trigger their obligation to pay off their debt to Central States by deciding to cease future participation in the Pension Plan. It's like running a tab at the local bar. If you announce you're leaving town, the bartender will want to be paid in full before you leave.

. . .The union merely sucks off the *** of the corporation (somewhat like a leach) . . .

Wow! Another C. Montgomery Burns disciple! You and Tieguy should get together with Smithers and start a chapter of the Mr. Monty Burns Fanclub.

tieguy

Banned
ah I see our friend is still scabbing the brown cafe.

UPS chose to trigger their obligation to pay off their debt to Central States by deciding to cease future participation in the Pension Plan. It's like running a tab at the local bar. If you announce you're leaving town, the bartender will want to be paid in full before you leave.

you responded to a point made that fdx did not have to buy their way out of a CS nightmare. either way you try to sugercoat it the point still remains the same.

Wow! Another C. Montgomery Burns disciple! You and Tieguy should get together with Smithers and start a chapter of the Mr. Monty Burns Fanclub.

LOL thats funny. Lets see what do my union buddies call someone who takes advantage of the benifits of membership but does not join? Oh yea a scab jonfrum.

steamroll

Hey Brownshark,

Sounds like I upset you.

Let's make things clear; I don't have a problem with the Teamsters per se but more of a problem with some of its member's mentality and ungrateful displays of entitlement. There are members/employees who abuse the system and take every opportunity to disrupt things causing problems for others who just want to do their jobs and then they need the union to help clean up the mess they made.

Perhaps my analogy in using the term leach was a bit harsh my point is that UPS and the Teamsters have a symbiotic relationship (they need each other) such as the shark (no pun intended) and the remora, a small fish who eats the parasites off the shark and keeps the shark clean and healthy.

Look at FedEx, sure they don't make as much but they don't work as hard and they don't make 50% less that we do..FedEx didn't have to bail out a screwed up Central States plan either. Maybe UPSers would be making more money than they do now if UPS didn't have to put up billions to rescue that debacle.

Just a thought!

if the union keeps selling out the members, maybe there will be no union. to be honest with you, in our local (396) we really don't have a union. in the 90's the past administration cared about the members.

ezmoney5150

Hey Brownshark,

Sounds like I upset you.

Just a thought!

Lets get something straight. The "Central States Debacle" as you call it has more to do with de-regulation of trucking and a government run by corporations. These people are very un-friendly to labor and the thought of having a defined benefit pension. It's OK for a CEO to screw a company up and have a "golden parachute" of 15 million, but God forbid that a working man wants a defined benefit pension.

I wasn't here, but I will go out on a limb and say that UPS wasn't offering money up to the fund when there were 30 freight companies in the fund and 1 package company. You fell right into the UPS propaganda trap.

BCFan

LOL thats funny. Lets see what do my union buddies call someone who takes advantage of the benifits of membership but does not join? Oh yea a scab jonfrum.

Actually Tie they are not SCABS but merely FREERIDERS (not sure which is the worst) Either way they are Persona Non Grata BC (not BCS fan for sure)

tunemixer

A couple of questions reagarding the opt in/opt out and bids . How will this affect the bids this year?There are some routes that there is no way the driver can use this opt in /opt out option.That will affect how we bid. And is it true the new 2 year bids go in effect this year and not next? I heard many of the changes that don't have to do with money went into effect Jan. 1st

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
BTW a post asked about raises. No, we got screwed on that, basically all NON monetary aspects of the contract go into effect this month, but raises don't come til 1/2 in Aug and 1/2 in June. So those like myself who will be retiring will get screwed out of half of our raise.