or other negotiable instrument issued

by or on behalf of the Consignee. When

instructions to collect a cashier’s check

or money order only are clearly indicated

on the C.O.D. tag or system-generated

label, UPS reserves the right to accept

a cashier’s check, money order, official

bank check, or other similar instrument

issued by or on behalf of the Consignee.

All checks or other negotiable instruments

(including cashier’s checks, official

bank checks, money orders, and other

similar instruments) tendered in payment

of C.O.D.s will be accepted by UPS based

solely upon the Shipper assuming all

risk relating thereto, including, but not

limited to, risk of non-payment, insufficient

funds, and forgery, and UPS shall

not be liable upon any such instrument.

clean hairy

The above also addresses if a personal check is accepted in place of a Cashiers check.
You can find all of the C.O.D. language by going to UPS.com
Bottom left corner, Terms of Service, Page 19.
This is the same as terms of use on Websites that no one ever reads.
My opinion, is that based on the companies own policies as posted to the Public, no action can be taken against the Driver, as a bad check is an issue between the Shipper and Receiver.

By The Book

5-6 attempts?

You are losing credibility with every post that you make.
As more of the story is told I feel that the consignee is deliberately trying to get products for free. I think that our diad software needs to be updated to not allow drivers to accept a check that is not an official payment method in this case.

25TOLIFE

Similar thing happened to me about 15 years ago. Customer gave me company check when it stated certified funds. Customer knowingly bounced the check and I had to go back and try to get another certified replacement. He would not do it. LP took over and he would still not pay. UPS would not deliver anything to him after that...nothing....Everything as per LP went back rts...He ran a retail mom and pop business. It just went away. I was probably just lucky as it happened back in the day when every aspect of the job was micro managed I'm sure today I would be on the UPS lay away plan...

ITwannabe

I think it's stupid this comes back on the driver. Anyone can miss that especially with these overdispatched routes. Plus half of our drivers probably haven't ever even written a check in their life. UPS should take that :censored2: customer to court and make him pay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As more of the story is told I feel that the consignee is deliberately trying to get products for free. I think that our diad software needs to be updated to not allow drivers to accept a check that is not an official payment method in this case.

It already does.

The DIAD cannot physically prevent a driver from not following the methods.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My DIAD doesn't say that.

If the package is processed using UPS software (WorldShip?) and the consignee designates that the driver accept only a certified check or money order for their COD the DIAD will prompt accordingly; in fact, you have to hit big arrow up before you are allowed to continue sheeting the package.

upschuck

If the package is processed using UPS software (WorldShip?) and the consignee designates that the driver accept only a certified check or money order for their COD the DIAD will prompt accordingly; in fact, you have to hit big arrow up before you are allowed to continue sheeting the package.
My board doesn't do that, I think. Some things are habit to bypass, that my be one of them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My board doesn't do that, I think. Some things are habit to bypass, that my be one of them.

When you scan the package and hit big arrow down for a regular COD you can enter the total and hit check; however, if it is CC/MO only, you would have to hit big arrow up before entering the total.