NSF check.

upschuck

He is implying that the customer has an obligation to have the funds in his account to cover whatever form of payment given and that it is a crime to knowingly submit a check with insufficient funds to cover it.
See, I don't think that is what he is implying. What I think he is implying is we can take whatever type of payment, and we have no responsibility that it will go through, but that is only if they don't specify.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

See, I don't think that is what he is implying. What I think he is implying is we can take whatever type of payment, and we have no responsibility that it will go through, but that is only if they don't specify.

He is correct in that if the shipper does not specify then we are not on the hook if their check bounces.

He is incorrect if he believes that for CODs where we are directed to accept certified funds only.

Boulevard859710

We have a couple places that will try three times and place in future for another 3 times sometime down the road. Mostly small clothing shops, that don't "know" when their orders are coming in.
I myself will only do three attempts. After that they can come pick them up. No longer my problem.

MynameisNeigan

Always make sure you look at the labels with CODs. Only way to make sure you don't get screwed. And if UPS knows this customer has issues paying they should put a warning on the Diad.

clean hairy

What I read, ( and certainly correct me if I am wrong) is even if certified or Cashiers check is specified, we may accept funds other than those specified.
Also, (if I read correctly) any NSF or other issues with the funds being good or not, is an issue between the shipper and the Receiver.
Hypothetical scenario here:
Upstate is going to drop off payment for his Cable Service.
His Neighbor asks if he can take his payment as well.
The Neighbor's check is no good and bounces.
Would it be proper for the Cable Co. to go after Upstate for giving them a bad check, (when Upstate had no means of knowing if the check was good or not) or the Neighbor whose check was no good?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
This is what I see happening during your meeting:

Your supervisor will review the incident with you and ask you if you remember seeing the DIAD prompt asking that you accept either a cashier's check or money order. You will then be handed an agreement in which you will be asked to repay the $1,300 in weekly installments of an amount to be agreed upon by you and your management team. The minimum that they normally accept is $25 but more than likely you will be asked to pay $50 per week for the next 26 weeks. The company has already made good on the bounced check with the shipper. The agreement will be in lieu of any disciplinary action on their part. This agreement will be signed by both parties with a copy placed in your file. It normally takes a week or two for the wage garnishments to begin.

Your delusional

upschuck

What I read, ( and certainly correct me if I am wrong) is even if certified or Cashiers check is specified, we may accept funds other than those specified.
When
instructions to collect a cashier’s check
or money order only are clearly indicated
on the C.O.D. tag or system-generated
label, UPS reserves the right to accept
a cashier’s check, money order, official
bank check, or other similar instrument
issued by or on behalf of the Consignee.
Where does it say we can accept a personal check?
Also, (if I read correctly) any NSF or other issues with the funds being good or not, is an issue between the shipper and the Receiver.
You are correct, if we take proper form of payment.

clean hairy

Where does it say we can accept a personal check?QUOTE="

8th line of post 21, from our Terms of Service, and post 22 directs a person to the entire text.
Post 21 also states any issue with payment is between shipper and receiver.
If the reciever gives a phony cashiers check I would think would be covered by that as well.

instructions to collect a cashier’s check

or money order only are clearly indicated

on the C.O.D. tag or system-generated

label, UPS reserves the right to accept

a cashier’s check, money order, official

bank check, or other similar instrument

issued by or on behalf of the Consignee.

upschuck

Are you saying an official bank check is a personal check? It is not.
Other similar instrument is not either. That is a catch all, if something is generated by a particular bank.

clean hairy

Are you saying an official bank check is a personal check? It is not.
Other similar instrument is not either. That is a catch all, if something is generated by a particular bank.
Then, similar instrument would be open to interpretation, though a person might be able to argue a personal check being drawn on a bank is a bank check, not sure how that might play out.....

upschuck

Then, similar instrument would be open to interpretation, though a person might be able to argue a personal check being drawn on a bank is a bank check, not sure how that might play out.....
Says official bank check, which is what some banks have on their cashiers checks.

Siveriano

thanks again to all for the time you took (hopefully while on the clock) to reply. Ill update as soon as i get an update. yet remember this is a rumor on my center for which i havent been officially contacted by any person from management yet.

SmithBarney

Check your state and local laws...
Bad Check Laws by States-Civil & Criminal Penalties
Also could fall under Mail Fraud as well.

But the question is here, can UPS demand payment from an employee for a mistake?(getting the wrong kind of check)
That's a union issue, I imagine the first time you do it, slap on the wrist...next time maybe, but really that's a big amount of money, to not consider at least talking to a lawyer about... Otherwise have them take out 1$ for the next 1300weeks....

10 point

IMG_20160924_213723.jpg
Check your state and local laws...
Bad Check Laws by States-Civil & Criminal Penalties
Also could fall under Mail Fraud as well.

But the question is here, can UPS demand payment from an employee for a mistake?(getting the wrong kind of check)
That's a union issue, I imagine the first time you do it, slap on the wrist...next time maybe, but really that's a big amount of money, to not consider at least talking to a lawyer about... Otherwise have them take out 1$ for the next 1300weeks....
Larceny applies in many states. Look it up. In some states (and Commonwealths) if the amount is over $200 it's grand larceny.

10 point

If I was on the hook for that money you bet your ass I'd be collecting from that business one way or another.
Here, we take it to the sheriff's department and they send an officer over to collect it.
The customer gets a sense of urgency in fixing the issue.

Last edited:

By The Book

thanks again to all for the time you took (hopefully while on the clock) to reply. Ill update as soon as i get an update. yet remember this is a rumor on my center for which i havent been officially contacted by any person from management yet.
I would think if by some chance that this particular COD was a 4th attempt UPS may be liable by altering their own procedures on COD attempts. If this isn't the case and your coworkers have had to pay for their mistakes, your probably going to pay....because I'm sure the Union was involved in the previous lapses of judgement by your coworkers. Question....don't you drivers talk this stuff out? Slow down and do your job @By The Book!