Obama care

thedownhillEXPRESS

Your prediction. Who do you think will be our next President?

Closer than it should have been but I think Obama will take it.

No matter what happens can we all agree not to be snarky or mean come Tuesday night.

Perhaps if you think its a good idea, I can start a thread Tuesday evening to kind of "live blog" the results we are seeing.

Between all the varied news sources it will be a valuable piece of information I believe.(if everyone remains civil that is)

bbsam

Staff member
Then by law, he has ceded state power to the federal government, hasn't he? The state biggest into secession talk will now allow the federal government to run its health exchange. Odd. I wonder if this isn't a bunch of bravado masking the state's inability to comply with the law, as if they too were betting repeal really was going to be happening about now.

hypo hanna

Then by law, he has ceded state power to the federal government, hasn't he? The state biggest into secession talk will now allow the federal government to run its health exchange. Odd. I wonder if this isn't a bunch of bravado masking the state's inability to comply with the law, as if they too were betting repeal really was going to be happening about now.

"Bravado", what an excellant choice of words. It describes gov big hair to a T. Like the popular saying in Texas, "He's all hat, and no cattle!"
Texas law is set up to have a weak govonor. His powers are to make som appointments and set the schedule for the legislature. Mostly it's a bully pulpit which works our well for someone like Perry. He plays to the lunatic fringe in the state which is unfortunatly a sizable portion of the population. A good example... He now wants to drug test welfare reciepiants. Never mind that it was an epic failure in Florida, the loony tea party types love it.

vantexan

"Bravado", what an excellant choice of words. It describes gov big hair to a T. Like the popular saying in Texas, "He's all hat, and no cattle!"
Texas law is set up to have a weak govonor. His powers are to make som appointments and set the schedule for the legislature. Mostly it's a bully pulpit which works our well for someone like Perry. He plays to the lunatic fringe in the state which is unfortunatly a sizable portion of the population. A good example... He now wants to drug test welfare reciepiants. Never mind that it was an epic failure in Florida, the loony tea party types love it.

How can you have a bully pulpit with no teeth to back it up?

vantexan

: a prominent public position (as a political office) that provides an opportunity for expounding one's views; also : such an opportunity

Read more at Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

But as a governor with little real power as you say, as opposed to a political office with power to enact change, no one would really care about or be "bullied" by his expounding. Perry keeps getting reelected in Texas because he gets things done. Sure he panders but few politicians don't. But Texas has prospered during his tenure and has managed to weather the economic collapse better than most states, certainly better than the other big states.

jmeti000

But as a governor with little real power as you say, as opposed to a political office with power to enact change, no one would really care about or be "bullied" by his expounding. Perry keeps getting reelected in Texas because he gets things done. Sure he panders but few politicians don't. But Texas has prospered during his tenure and has managed to weather the economic collapse better than most states, certainly better than the other big states.

Probably because all those Texans have a little extra money from all the water restrictions placed on them because of the droughts...more restrictions = less water consumed = lower water bill, and fuel is typically priced much lower as well which is additional pocket change, but at the expense of air quality (I am all to familiar with the legal loop holes they used to avoid the epa coming down on the state for lax air quality legislation in dealing with refineries). Im not even going to go into the fact that a large portion borders Mexico including two larger cities that are utilized heavily for international trade, which also has an impact on how the state weathered the economic collapse.

vantexan

Probably because all those Texans have a little extra money from all the water restrictions placed on them because of the droughts...more restrictions = less water consumed = lower water bill, and fuel is typically priced much lower as well which is additional pocket change, but at the expense of air quality (I am all to familiar with the legal loop holes they used to avoid the epa coming down on the state for lax air quality legislation in dealing with refineries). Im not even going to go into the fact that a large portion borders Mexico including two larger cities that are utilized heavily for international trade, which also has an impact on how the state weathered the economic collapse.

Fuel is certainly cheaper than on the coasts, but I was paying $3.44 a gallon before leaving 3 months ago. Air quality isn't an issue in most areas. There's a big boom in oil production as well as natural gas. The influx of people from other areas looking for work helped the economy too as they all needed housing, food, etc. A major reason Texas is doing ok despite the economy is since the last downturn the state gov't has encouraged the relocation of many businesses from around the country looking for lower costs. Thus the economy is much more diversified. The border has done a lot better with maquiladora trade. No state income tax either, which saves people more than water bills. A lot of reasons Texas is doing well, and Perry is seen by the majority as having been a good mgr. Keeps getting reelected. The drought is over by the way and where I was at in east Texas we were getting heavy rain for a year. Filled our huge reservoirs to the brim.