Obamacare

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You're a fool if you think that the 85% of your age group that works now in dead-end jobs with no benefits and definitely no retirement plan will let Social Security die. Most of your generation are the ones sucking on the welfare teat and need food stamps now to make ends meet. Because you can only see a few inches past your own nose, you don't have a clue as to what automation, robotics, and AI are going to do to ANY high paying job. High paying jobs ARE the biggest targets corporation have and will disappear as fast as those assembly line jobs. And I tell you now that landscaping jobs don't pay that well, no matter how many doctorate degrees you have.

Thinking that your generation will cut off social security is a joke when they will have nothing else to lean on.
When did I say ss was going to end? What I'm saying is this "me generation" baby boomer sense of entitlement that people can depend on someone else to support them half their life isn't sustainable. There will be cuts.

vantexan

Revenues went up because he raised taxes and spent more money and raised the debt. If the government spends $1.5 trillion, of course when that money is spent and someone gets more in income, revenue will increase. But revenues won't increase as much as the deficit amount spent.

Under Reagan massive amounts were spent on boondoggle defense projects, and when contractor are paid, of course some of what they get paid goes back in taxes. IF you think that adding willy-nilly to the debt just to raise revenue makes sense, it means you are a republican. If you think that adding targeted spending to the debt to gradually decrease the debt, it means you are a republican. These untargeted tax cuts being proposed now will only increase profits and stock values, a gift to the wealthy. If instead they took $1.5 trillion and built new roads, repaired infrastructure, modernized the electric grid, etc, etc, it would GUARANTEE more hiring. The repub plan is just HOPING that business does something good with their added profit, while infrastructure spending ACTUALLY accomplishes something good.
Reagan didn't just raise taxes willy-nilly. He broke the back of the Soviet Union, leading to it's demise. And for that we should all be thankful.

Meat

Reagan didn't just raise taxes willy-nilly. He broke the back of the Soviet Union, leading to it's demise. And for that we should all be thankful.

Someday - lamentably in the next decade or so - historians will be asked to provide a line of demarcation as to when capitalism failed the majority of the US populace. Some will say after the 90’s tech crash, some will say at some point during Bush Jr’s administration, and at the latest, some will say 2008; which means, in the best case scenario, the greatest symbol of market principles will have lasted a whopping 18 years longer than the “nefarious” Communist ideology that Russia represented - whoopty :censored2:ing doo!.

vantexan

Someday - lamentably in the next decade or so - historians will be asked to provide a line of demarcation as to when capitalism failed the majority of the US populace. Some will say after the 90’s tech crash, some will say at some point during Bush Jr’s administration, and at the latest, some will say 2008; which means, in the best case scenario, the greatest symbol of market principles will have lasted a whopping 18 years longer than the “nefarious” Communist ideology that Russia represented - whoopty :censored2:ing doo!.
Problem with your theory is that communism basically failed it's populace from the get go. Communism didn't collapse in 1990-1991, the Soviet Union did. And the people living in that system would've been very envious of how we have it here since our "collapse."

floridays

When did I say ss was going to end? What I'm saying is this "me generation" baby boomer sense of entitlement that people can depend on some
Meat
Thanksgiving is gone, as is the appropriate civility.
You said some will say, what do you say? Put your oysters on the grill.

bacha29

Reagan didn't break the back of the Soviet Union but Afghanistan did just as it did to the Romans, the British, the Russians and in the end .......the United States.

Meat

Problem with your theory is that communism basically failed it's populace from the get go. Communism didn't collapse in 1990-1991, the Soviet Union did. And the people living in that system would've been very envious of how we have it here since our "collapse."

Hard working, really smart guys like you
have been reduced to living a trailer-trash life style for at least a portion of their lives, which leads me to believe that the system has failed.

bacha29

Right the Mujahideen, stick the to boxes you don't deliver anymore.
The Afghan war busted the Soviet treasury and it's economy as it has done with ours and there's no end in sight. When the Soviet economy tanked the Baltic states rebelled Poland was emboldened by Pope John Paul so the dye was cast and to his credit Mikail Gorbachov knowing that the Soviet system had nothing to offer that was worth fighting over refused to turn the army on his own people. And as a result the Cold War ended not in World War III but rather in bankruptcy court and the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

floridays

have been reduced to living a trailer-trash life style for at least a portion of their lives, which leads me to believe that the system has failed.[/QUOT
Meat,
Define communism, and explain how a person can better their life under that system. Van attacked communism, You, I believe will try to go down another road, answer these before travelling farther.

floridays

The Afghan war busted the Soviet treasury and it's economy as it has done with ours and there's no end in sight. When the Soviet economy tanked the Baltic states rebelled Poland was emboldened by Pope John Paul so the dye was cast and to his credit Mikail Gorbachov knowing that the Soviet system had nothing to offer that was worth fighting over refused to turn the army on his own people. And as a result the Cold War ended not in World War III but rather in bankruptcy court and the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.
You're crazy as a :censored2: house rat.

vantexan

have been reduced to living a trailer-trash life style for at least a portion of their lives, which leads me to believe that the system has failed.
You can't even begin to compare it with communism. And in our system you have the freedom to make the kind of life you want.