Obamacare

bacha29

You're crazy as a :censored2: house rat.
Instead of launching personal attacks on people who actually lived during that time try learning something about that extraordinary time in history. No one single event brought about the collapse of the USSR but a series of events driven primarily by a populace realizing that living conditions had brought them to the point where they nothing to lose compelling them to take a stand against the mighty Communist Party and the military if controlled. Fortunately for them they had the savvy and politically pragmatic Mikail Grobachov on their side.

vantexan

The Afghan war busted the Soviet treasury and it's economy as it has done with ours and there's no end in sight. When the Soviet economy tanked the Baltic states rebelled Poland was emboldened by Pope John Paul so the dye was cast and to his credit Mikail Gorbachov knowing that the Soviet system had nothing to offer that was worth fighting over refused to turn the army on his own people. And as a result the Cold War ended not in World War III but rather in bankruptcy court and the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.
What the Afghan War exposed was the Soviet Union economy was basically India with a large military and nukes. They couldn't keep up the arms race with the U.S., and while Russians were the largest ethnic group there were many other ethnicities who were tired of being dominated by the Russians. Gorbachev would have been fighting his own people and wars with others all across the Soviet Union. But Reagan was the catalyst that sped up the inevitable.

vantexan

Instead of launching personal attacks on people who actually lived during that time try learning something about that extraordinary time in history. No one single event brought about the collapse of the USSR but a series of events driven primarily by a populace realizing that living conditions had brought them to the point where they nothing to lose compelling them to take a stand against the mighty Communist Party and the military if controlled. Fortunately for them they had the savvy and politically pragmatic Mikail Grobachov on their side.
Gorbachev wanted to keep it together. The real credit belongs to Boris Yeltsin.

floridays

I'm gonna have to stop with the "living at the time statement." Most likely I'm older than you. I'll read your :censored2: later and respond.

floridays

To add, crazy as a :censored2: house rat was not a personal attack. Us'uns in the south don't understand inglish tu well. Casin' summins frum the thu south red it I wanted them to understand you're (crazy as a :censored2: house rat) an educated slick hair. Really a compliment from from Us'ums.

vantexan

You chose to live in a trailer for a substantial portion of your adult life?
I did. I wanted to transfer around and see the country. And with two large dogs it was easier, and cheaper to live in RV parks. By the way RV parks can have million dollar motorhomes come through. Much different than mobile home parks.

floridays

I went back and read as promised, and I'm speechless.
If you were actually alive at the time, not in a coma, partially coherent and you're still vending that, as you just did, unbelievable.
I'm speechless again.

Last edited:

bacha29

I went back and read as promised, and I'm speechless.
If you were actually alive at the time, not in a coma, and partially coherent and you're still vending that, as you just did.
I'm speechless again.
Once again nothing but personal attacks. Clearly you know nothing about the historical events currently being debated because you were not interested in them then and you're not interested them now and those personal attacks are nothing more than a testament to your own ignorance.

floridays

He flat out stood up to Gorbachev and those tanks.
I understand, but there was no way out for the Soviet Union. Necessity may have demanded his actions, who really knows? Fact is President Reagan and Margaret Thatcher dealt the cards and they fell where they did and history records the outcome.

floridays

Once again nothing but personal attacks. Clearly you know nothing about the historical events currently being debated because you were not interested in them then and you're not interested them now and those personal attacks are nothing more than a testament to your own ignorance.
Got me ..bingo.