Odds of a PE mechanic caught sleeping on the job and falsifying documents getting his job back?

Needabiggerhammer

We have another mechanic who's been sleeping in server rooms for 2, 3, 4 or even 5 hours a day on the clock and then falsifying his time card (believe it or not we have to track every minute of our day) to say he was elsewhere in the plant completing dispatched work. It's been a very open secret that he's been doing this but management has been weak. It came out in his firing that our supervisor actually caught him sleeping twice...and didn't document it but only verbally warned him not to do it again and kept it to himself.

It all blew up when he put down 6 hours total on a job directly underneath a camera with 2 other mechanics and the other 2 guys finally got pissed at his shenanigans and told management he wasn't there for the job. We have a new PDA system that let's you see who put labor on dispatched work orders etc, so at the end of the day their dispatches showed that he had recorded 6 hours on a large job they did alone. This was after his keys had been found in the server room (he couldn't get back in without them) and turned in to management and returned to him the week before.

He got canned a couple weeks ago and tried to appeal, the appeal was denied this week. They said he's taking it up to the next level to appeal again.

Can someone please promise me this :censored2:ing tweaker isn't getting his job back? He's been filling up a mechanic job that could be held by someone who actually wants to work for over 2 years now.

Needabiggerhammer

Stop worrying you will get your job back . Just don't do it again .
Damn. It's not me and that's not what I want to hear...lol. When he's working it puts the rest of us in a direct position to have to do more work and basically cover for him. On paper he's around completing all this work and helping us but in reality he's off sleeping. So management sees us as being slack because on paper we have 3 guys working on a job instead of 2, or 2 instead of 1, that sort of thing.

Nobody wanted to snitch but it got where the rest of us are being called out by management as to why we aren't doing our job because we have a ghost mechanic.

BootsOnTarmac

Peer pressure can only go so far in your job. Management needs to get involved. The sad truth is that management today is weak and does not want to discipline for fear of reprisal. Sad. In the long run employees respect strong management and fair discipline, ultimately reducing future problem children. Nip it in the bud!

Indecisi0n

Damn. It's not me and that's not what I want to hear...lol. When he's working it puts the rest of us in a direct position to have to do more work and basically cover for him. On paper he's around completing all this work and helping us but in reality he's off sleeping. So management sees us as being slack because on paper we have 3 guys working on a job instead of 2, or 2 instead of 1, that sort of thing.

Nobody wanted to snitch but it got where the rest of us are being called out by management as to why we aren't doing our job because we have a ghost mechanic.
Again, you'll be fine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Shortly before I retired we had a mechanic who was fired for pencil whipping repairs. Drivers would write up issues with their package cars and the mechanic would state on the DVIR that the issues had been corrected when in fact he had not done a thing. It got to the point where the supervisor in charge of the mechanics for our district set up a sting and the mechanic was caught not doing his job. Young family with a kid on the way. If only he had just done his job.

To the OP----you need to make sure this guy doesn't come back. There may be a time when he is tasked to perform maintenance on a piece of equipment which if not done correctly (or at all) could put someone in danger of physical harm.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Had a guy in our maintenance dept which a supervisor found sleeping on a belt. Supervisor fired him. Union got his job back. But that was before all this stupid technology. I person just can't get a good days sleep on the job anymore.

Integrity

Binge Poster
We have another mechanic who's been sleeping in server rooms for 2, 3, 4 or even 5 hours a day on the clock and then falsifying his time card (believe it or not we have to track every minute of our day) to say he was elsewhere in the plant completing dispatched work. It's been a very open secret that he's been doing this but management has been weak. It came out in his firing that our supervisor actually caught him sleeping twice...and didn't document it but only verbally warned him not to do it again and kept it to himself.

It all blew up when he put down 6 hours total on a job directly underneath a camera with 2 other mechanics and the other 2 guys finally got pissed at his shenanigans and told management he wasn't there for the job. We have a new PDA system that let's you see who put labor on dispatched work orders etc, so at the end of the day their dispatches showed that he had recorded 6 hours on a large job they did alone. This was after his keys had been found in the server room (he couldn't get back in without them) and turned in to management and returned to him the week before.

He got canned a couple weeks ago and tried to appeal, the appeal was denied this week. They said he's taking it up to the next level to appeal again.

Can someone please promise me this :censored2:ing tweaker isn't getting his job back? He's been filling up a mechanic job that could be held by someone who actually wants to work for over 2 years now.
What were the circumstances of you informing management?

Did you go to them or did they come to you?

Needabiggerhammer

What were the circumstances of you informing management?

Did you go to them or did they come to you?
I'm not the one who went to management originally. Later when they came around asking other mechanics I said nothing but what I knew for a fact to be true and let them draw their own conclusions.

I am the one who turned the keys in when found, they had all our hub masters etc on them so I couldn't leave them lying around. Had no way of knowing 100% who they belonged to so I turned them in to my supervisor and told him where I found them, no other info provided.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Shortly before I retired we had a mechanic who was fired for pencil whipping repairs. Drivers would write up issues with their package cars and the mechanic would state on the DVIR that the issues had been corrected when in fact he had not done a thing. It got to the point where the supervisor in charge of the mechanics for our district set up a sting and the mechanic was caught not doing his job. Young family with a kid on the way. If only he had just done his job.

To the OP----you need to make sure this guy doesn't come back. There may be a time when he is tasked to perform maintenance on a piece of equipment which if not done correctly (or at all) could put someone in danger of physical harm.
Didn't you vow to leave this site and never come back once you retired?

Hypocrites and renegers have zero credibility here....JS

Perhaps you could join a Retired Teamster's Club (until they break your jaw) or start mall walking to fill your newly found free time instead?

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
I know of many that were caught sleeping and warned. A few fired and most got there jobs back. Usually if they don't change their ways UPS will get them in the future. Most of the firings of non-drivers I have seen, other than for theft have really been for past transgressions. The one they get fired for just happens to stick.
I know of a few PE mechanics that ride that magic pencil. I remember one who used tap his pen then look inside the barrel and say " come on I know you have one more job in there".
One used to spend 2 or 3 hours a night collecting returnable bottles and cans. They even had it in his Pittsburgh!
We found the files left out one time and laughed like hell at all the funny things in them.

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat

Are you in an automated hub?
We got those PDA devices a few months ago but they have been sitting on the supervisors desk. We are in non-automated buildings.
Have you seen more scrutiny of times for repairs? Also are you getting a daily dispatch. We haven't seen daily dispatches for about 18 or 19 years. They dispatch our PMI 04 05 06 02 and 10's every 2 weeks or so and a few repairs that we turned in as 5's on our PMI sheets. Anything less than a 5 rides until the next PMI.

rod

Retired 22 years
I know of many that were caught sleeping and warned. A few fired and most got there jobs back. Usually if they don't change their ways UPS will get them in the future. Most of the firings of non-drivers I have seen, other than for theft have really been for past transgressions. The one they get fired for just happens to stick.
I know of a few PE mechanics that ride that magic pencil. I remember one who used tap his pen then look inside the barrel and say " come on I know you have one more job in there".
One used to spend 2 or 3 hours a night collecting returnable bottles and cans. They even had it in his Pittsburgh!
We found the files left out one time and laughed like hell at all the funny things in them.
I'm sure at my old center in the filing cabinet in the center manager's office there is a note in my file (even though I've been retired for 18 years) that says I was late my 2nd day of work in 1971 by (if I remember right) 6 minutes and that I was told how important it was for me to be on time and that I agreed. That note was in there for 30 years so I can't imagine it ever being tossed.

We had a PE mechanic fired for being drunk on the job. Took him to the hospital for a blood draw, the whole bit. After a couple months they offered to let him come back. He turned it down.