ODS commit times!!!

Automaton

There is not a single stop on my route that needs a 14:00 commit time, yet I keep getting hit with them almost every day----no less than 4 of them today in fact! Something really needs to be done about this--change the telephone prompts or something. I am just getting destroyed by these things!!! Anyone here got connections with that department?

DS

Fenderbender
I get up to 24 ods every day...its up to them to submit a commit time,all you have to do to CYA is type in,cant get there till 530pm and they will resend it with a later commit time...or send another driver... relax man

Automaton

They can't send another driver--they have cut too many routes! I could, like you say, send them back and request a later time, but that's just a band-aid fix for a problem that I think needs to be addressed at a higher level.

Automaton

See, I'd like to think that there's someone somewhere who isn't aware how much of a problem this issue is causing, and that if I can somehow make them aware of it they can earn their keep by creating a (non-band-aid-type) solution worthy of a multi-billion dollar company. With as much emphasis as this company places on driver efficiency, you would think that they would be absolutely horrified by the thought of us breaking trace to chase unnecessarily premature default commit times. Maybe they're content with the band-aid solution, but I just think it's un-professional.

Big Babooba

See, I'd like to think that there's someone somewhere who isn't aware how much of a problem this issue is causing, and that if I can somehow make them aware of it they can earn their keep by creating a (non-band-aid-type) solution worthy of a multi-billion dollar company. With as much emphasis as this company places on driver efficiency, you would think that they would be absolutely horrified by the thought of us breaking trace to chase unnecessarily premature default commit times. Maybe they're content with the band-aid solution, but I just think it's un-professional.
Unfortunately, they either look the other way or are wearing rose colored glasses.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
If I know a business will be open until 5 or whenever, I don't worry about what time I get there. I get there when I get there. When they first started ODS pick-ups our center manager said he was asked about a commit time. He said he told them 1:30 not really thinking. What difference does it make what time you get there? The packages aren't going anywhere till you pull in that night and unload them with the rest of your air packages.

When they send me an ODS I usually just put in 5:00. When it asks for a reason why I just put in "received past commit". LMAO!!! I have never had any management come up to me and ask why I pick up later than commit times. Just glad I deliver in a rural area and don't have to deal with too many of em.

browned_out

:confused:1 Makes you wonder sometimes, I had a similar problem one day got an ods for a nda with a commit time of 1300pm. I put in 1530 because I pick up next door at that time. When I got to the ods stop the lady inside was furious because the "person" on the phone told her we would be there by 1300pm for pick up. I asked my sup later about this and he said they (call center) give all ods a three hour commit from the time of the call.

DS

Fenderbender
What burns me more is cut off times for oncalls.Where I am its 6:30PM.
Often people will call for a p/u at 6:20 PM.When you get there,they say what are you doing here already? They said you wouldn't be here till between 7 and 8 PM,I`m still waiting for them to fax me the customs documents.How the hell do they know when I'll be there?We get grief if we don't get to the air sort by 7:30PM and its a half hour drive back to the bldg.

I almost never do these by the commit times and it's never been an issue. They've never said a word to me. ( Then again, mine are almost always commercial and I always get to them before they leave for the day.) When it comes up late, "Delayed in Traffic" is my favorite option, then I put in the time I'm actually going to arrive... :thumbup1:

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
When it comes up late, "Delayed in Traffic" is my favorite option, then I put in the time I'm actually going to arrive... :thumbup1:

Lol, mine too!

Yeah, those ridiculously early commit times are a pain, but like someone had previously mentioned just over-ride it and say that you cannot possibly make that commit time. They always come back with a more reasonable time.

4over

its my understanding that the commit time comes from the shipper. Had this problem today! Bounce it back and request a later commit,(it is within the realm of possibilities), or kindly speak to the shipper to change their close/commit time. If none of these work, miss a stop or pickup, the point will be made.

Automaton

All of these responses just underscore the point I'm trying to make. This service needs a makeover. And bouncing messages back just makes more work for the OMS too, or whoever it is that has to resend them. No wonder they seem grumpy when I call the center.