% of drivers that are fired

brett636

We had a on road manager banging a clerk. Both still employed. Btw, still bangin....
It’s funny how the company has softened up on that. I can think of two former full time managers who got caught messing around with hourlies and lost their jobs over it. One supposedly was caught in their office in a compromising position and the other got a part timer pregnant. Nowadays I bet they would both keep their jobs.

Zowert

Fired and it stuck? Probably 2%. I can’t even begin to tell you all the stories I know of drivers doing dumb sheet, having a 6 week vacation and coming back like nothing ever happened. It almost impossible to get fired and have it stick. If you get fired as a driver at UPS and it sticks, you really deserved it.
So true. I knew a guy that showed up late every day, sometimes 5 minutes late sometimes 30. He also no call no showed at least once a month. After numerous warning letters and suspensions they finally fired him. Union got his job back. When he came back he was good for about a month then started showing up late again. No call no showed two days in a row, suspended again. That went on for a couple months until they fired him again. This time the union said they weren’t going to help him but he came forward and said he had a serious drinking problem. Off to rehab. Six months later he returns to work and he’s been doing good ever since.

Point is it takes a serious screw up to get fired for good.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
20 years, fired once. I was visibly shaken when speaking with my rep and he basically told me to chill, he’s been fired twice.

Last One In

Started part time October 1988; full time May 1995. Never been fired. I need some pointers on how to get fired preferably right around Thanksgiving.

Seriously, the reason I have seen twice for drivers getting permanently fired is not reporting driver's license revoked due to dui. Another guy was not fired as he reported his promptly. Had 3 drivers fired for failure to follow instructions; I think some drivers didn't fight being fired and they were gone. Depends on how much you want to come back and if you have a good BA fighting for you.

PT Car Washer

Started part time October 1988; full time May 1995. Never been fired. I need some pointers on how to get fired preferably right around Thanksgiving.

Seriously, the reason I have seen twice for drivers getting permanently fired is not reporting driver's license revoked due to dui. Another guy was not fired as he reported his promptly. Had 3 drivers fired for failure to follow instructions; I think some drivers didn't fight being fired and they were gone. Depends on how much you want to come back and if you have a good BA fighting for you.
At my building a DUI gets you a broom job for up to a year. Most can't wait to get out of the building and back to driving.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It’s funny how the company has softened up on that. I can think of two former full time managers who got caught messing around with hourlies and lost their jobs over it. One supposedly was caught in their office in a compromising position and the other got a part timer pregnant. Nowadays I bet they would both keep their jobs.
We had one fired not long ago. He works at FedEx now.

Of course he pissed her off or broke it off and she accused him of sexual harassment. So that’s what did him in.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Had a FT automotive sup get fired for rubbing one out in the managers office. Had a mechanic get fired for stealing VT365 injectors right out of the parts draw, heard he was selling them on ebay. Guy was even warned that a camera was aimed right at the draw they were in. I guess his need to support his habit was more important than keeping his job.

35years

Gravy route
Over 40 years now, never fired.

I probally average 3 warning letters a year. 3x40=120

I average about 5 grievances a year.
5x40=200

After a while you realize the warning letters mean nothing. I take pride in a bunch of them because I know they were retaliation. Love getting under thier skin. Lots of those managers were fired. My favorite grievance spelled out my manager's dishonesty in detail. He was livid. It was great.

I will be displaying all the paperwork at my retirement party. Better that than the silly plaques they give you.

rickyb

Just curious if anyone has a decent guess at what percentage of drivers are fired at least once throughout their career? Including times when you get your job back.
me....well when ur swearing it kinda implies you quit :)

worked out good for me although i wasted years at a union car rental; did some other jobs like fuel truck before i figured out what an actual good career for me would be.

rickyb

50% plus but 99% did not stick. ( feeder ) it's almost a badge of honor.

The only ones I saw stick was a driver hitting someone.
Another was obviously high and drunk when he punched it. It was a real shame because this driver was a hellava guy. Very unusual behavior for him. Was a total professional .

Nobody found out what happened. death in family? divorce? something traumatic must have triggered it.

Another for sleeping in feeder truck and staying on clock.
Stealing, a cardinal sin.

Another for stealing guns
Another for stealing oxy from packages.
One for stealing cell phones.
its only a cardinal sin when you steal

not when UPS steals from you!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Over 40 years now, never fired.

I probally average 3 warning letters a year. 3x40=120

I average about 5 grievances a year.
5x40=200

After a while you realize the warning letters mean nothing. I take pride in a bunch of them because I know they were retaliation. Love getting under thier skin. Lots of those managers were fired. My favorite grievance spelled out my manager's dishonesty in detail. He was livid. It was great.

I will be displaying all the paperwork at my retirement party. Better that than the silly plaques they give you.
Could cover a whole wall with that

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Just venting here two new guys in one week managed to pinch themselves on a bumper either leaving the building or parking afterwords and the most they will likely get is a warning letter so the skill floor here really is falling down deep.
Not even going to begin with all the center accidents. They already get covered to death.