Offered inside hub work, should I accept?

Hey guys. Newly registered to the site, but hoping to contribute more. I have worked as a driver helper here in New Jersey three times. This time though, I was offered permanent work as a part time handler. They called me the other day and said they were calling helpers first and wanted to know if I was interested. I've heard sooooooooooooooooo many horror stories about package handling(from friends who worked at UPS and quit, from drivers I worked with, from my Dad who is a trailer shop mechanic and sees the handlers drenched in sweat during the summer, etc.), but here's the thing:

*I'm done schooling(graduated college last year) and am unemployed(finished the driver helper job in late December 2007).

So, I really don't have a choice but to at least TRY the job right? I know it's only $8.50, and I know it's only part-time, but I could use the benefits. I've always been on my Dad's UPS BlueCross insurance, but they sent a letter telling him I dropped off of coverage because I'm going to be 24 this year.

Do you guys recommend even spending the time taking the tour and filling out all the paper work, or should I just pass and look elsewhere? The location I'd work out of is in Lawnside, NJ, it's an average UPS sized facility. Not overwhemingly big like Philadelphia's, but definitely not small.
I'm basically just concerned about whether I can hack the job. I'm used to working fast paced, physical jobs(worked at the Post Office as a receiving clerk last year), but am somewhat out of shape.

Lastly, do package handlers HAVE to load or can you ask to only be an unloader? I noticed in the videos they have on UPSjobs.com of people talking about being a handler, that they keep mentioning unloading and one guy even said something like "the job consists of unloading trailers at whatever pace is set for the shift." I don't mind loading if I have to, but I'm a terrible packer and they'd probably all fall down.

Thanks a ton for the anticipated advice.

dillweed

Sounds like a part-time inside position would be good for you right now. It's a great workout, has the benefits plus it gives you plenty of time during the day to pursue other options.

Congratulations on your education! It is great back-up in case you don't like the inside work. I've seen sports players just out of high school who couldn't handle the job. May be the UPS BS, the dirt, the noise, the hours or any number of reasons. I've also seen petite woman and small-built men bust butt and enjoy the work. It's all a matter of what you can tolerate.

It's certainly a dirty, noisy place to work and some of the workers just don't give a hoot. Management has a way of "dumbing us down" which is difficult for anyone with a good mind. Micro management, it's called, and they want to tell you every move to make even when you know what you're doing. Frustrating. There's also the matter of numbers, which management obsesses over. They often try to get us to work harder than we safely can just to get the pkgs moved. Takes some strong will to work safely and disregard the hounding.

From your post I'd suggest you give it a shot. Come back and ask questions or just vent a bit. We've all been through it and folks here are very helpful. Just hang in there and best of luck!

BCFan

First let me say that what Dillweed said is right on target about conditions inside the building and also about being a helluva workout..after 3 months unloading you will be able to walk thru brick walls:jumping: I will add only that you really should join the Teamsters as soon as possible the few dollars expence is more that worth it in the return of peace of mind!!!! Good luck with whatever road you take , I am sure you will be a success at whatever you attempt :blahblah: BC (not Big Country):devil3:

I'm pretty sure that they would not have a problem with you staying in the unload. For them that's like a kid with the speed of a wide receiver and the strength of a tackle that wants to play linebacker, ever coach's dream.
With your Dad having worked for UP$ and yourself with a little experience, I'm figure that you already know that you can't believe everything they tell you.
You said that the person on the video said,"the job consists of unloading trailers at whatever pace is set for the shift.""the job consists of unloading trailers at whatever pace is set for the shift.", well that pace is as fast as you can without tearing up the packages. Good Luvk to you on whatever you decide to do.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
*I'm done schooling(graduated college last year) and am unemployed(finished the driver helper job in late December 2007).

So, I really don't have a choice but to at least TRY the job right? I know it's only $8.50, and I know it's only part-time, but I could use the benefits. I've always been on my Dad's UPS BlueCross insurance, but they sent a letter telling him I dropped off of coverage because I'm going to be 24 this year.

I worked for UPS twice. Once in Illinois and again in Denver, Colorado. First time was great, second time I wondered if this was the same company I worked for once before.

Yes, you wil sweat like a stuck pig in the summer. Those trailers get to be about 120 degrees in direct sunlight. If you're working the Twilight Sort (not Noonday), you might be OK. I doubled on Twilight in Denver several times. The sort-aisle you unload with can (and will) talk a lotta mouth. The key is knowing how to shut 'em up. I've got suggestions if you need 'em :happy-very:.

I worked for UPS the second time for the health insurance. After 10 months the boredom, frustration and poor-treatment was getting to me--sleep patterns, quality of grad school work, etc. I did a little research into the health insurance found out it wasn't all that great. I mulled it over and jumped ship after a week of H*LL similar to Peak....in September!

UPS isn't for everyone. I wouldn't suggest a college-graduate with bigger plans or dreams stick around for longer than a year unless you want to go into management. And I wouldn't suggest that. You can do much, much better. -Rocky

Thanks guys, I knew I'd get good answers from you all that replied. I appreciate the advice. Will call them back this week and set up the interview. Want to at least say that "I tried it." I'll then continue to look for better work that is college degree oriented and go from there. Thanks again!

upsdude

Take the job, work as instructed, make a decision later. It's always easier to find a job when you have one.

Who knows, 20 years from now folks may be on here *itching about the new CEO, you!

Big Babooba

Hell yeah, take it. If it's not your pot of tea, you at least have the time to look for something better. Who knows, you might like it.