Oil for thought

brett636

The year for peak oil has come and gone many times ever since it was first predicted to occur in the late 70s based on what we knew about oil reserves in the 50s. The bottom line is that we may one day run out of oil as its existence is finite, but as anyone in the oil business will tell you things change. We make new strides in technology making oil that was once impossible to reach within reach. I believe this will hold true for the remainder of our lifetimes and well beyond. Once we can no longer pump oil out of the ground, if we ever reach that point as a civilization, we will find ways to synthesize it or replace it with another similar energy source. That is the wonder of the free market in my opinion, and that is once a fuel source like oil becomes too expensive to reach we find ways to make it less expensive or we switch to something new. The only thing holding us back is ourselves. There are many more compelling issues facing this company than the lack of oil. My personal belief is that problem is such a far way off that it simply isn't worth planning for yet.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Actually you might be surprised that new diesel trucks have to have an additive( diesel exhaust fluid) that is made from urine.

Similiar to urine, chemically, but DEF is synthetically made, just like nitrogen fertilizer. Dip down and get a whiff of that DEF. It'll turn your head. Ammonia doesn't smell good. Just don't be so quick to pee in your DEF tank.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I remember my Father telling me that experts said the world was gonna run out of oil back in the 1970's.

Ask your Dad about the gas rationing and the odd/even days during the 70's.

brett said it best----when the time does come that we do indeed run out of oil (none of us will still be here) we will adapt and move on.

brostalss

Ask your Dad about the gas rationing and the odd/even days during the 70's.

brett said it best----when the time does come that we do indeed run out of oil (none of us will still be here) we will adapt and move on.

He told me about those days as well.

My Parents also bought a home in New Jersey in 1981 with 13 1/2% interest on their mortgage. My Mortgage Guy was telling me when prime was 21 1/2%.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Which experts? Their are always different speculations by different groups of people. I wouldn't believe everything you hear. There is enough oil in Anwar to supply the world for millions of years. I think by importing the majority of our oil from foreign countries is a major part of the big picture. If we can deplete their oil supply then we would have a monopoly on the oil sales here in the US. We haven't even begun to touch our supply.
We don't export much crude oil. Most of what we export is the refined oil products such as gas and deisel. Had we kept these supplies in the states the law of supply and demand would force the prices much lower. Not in the best interests of the oil companies bottom line. They are going to send their product where it maximizes profits and screws the rest of us.

Ouch

We don't export much crude oil. Most of what we export is the refined oil products such as gas and deisel. Had we kept these supplies in the states the law of supply and demand would force the prices much lower. Not in the best interests of the oil companies bottom line. They are going to send their product where it maximizes profits and screws the rest of us.
You are absolutely correct. Well said.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I remember the fuel embargo and waiting in lines with my dad to get gas ,,it was crazy ! I got my license in 1980 when gas first hit $ 1.oo a gallon,,that was a lot of money back then...

Xexys

Retired and Happy
The year for peak oil has come and gone many times ever since it was first predicted to occur in the late 70s based on what we knew about oil reserves in the 50s. The bottom line is that we may one day run out of oil as its existence is finite, but as anyone in the oil business will tell you things change. We make new strides in technology making oil that was once impossible to reach within reach. I believe this will hold true for the remainder of our lifetimes and well beyond. Once we can no longer pump oil out of the ground, if we ever reach that point as a civilization, we will find ways to synthesize it or replace it with another similar energy source. That is the wonder of the free market in my opinion, and that is once a fuel source like oil becomes too expensive to reach we find ways to make it less expensive or we switch to something new. The only thing holding us back is ourselves. There are many more compelling issues facing this company than the lack of oil. My personal belief is that problem is such a far way off that it simply isn't worth planning for yet.

There is so much Methane in the Gulf of Mexico that researchers predict it will fuel the World for 80,000 years. Problem is, it's 4,000 feet deep. Believe it that they are working very hard to get to a point that we can extract that deposit and end this crap of dependence on oil.