Oil reaching the Gulf Coast

klein

Für Meno :)
Palin calls oil spill 'tragic' and defends offshore drilling

Steve Kraske - Kansas City Star

Gulf of Mexico oil spill or not, Sarah Palin on Saturday defended offshore drilling as an essential component of U.S. energy security.
Speaking to a crowd of mostly Republicans at the Independence Events Center, the former Alaska governor called the oil spill "very tragic" but added: "I want our country to be able to trust the oil industry."

Perhaps if Obama shared her opinion, there would be less blame on him ?

On another occasion she also said she knew what the population around the Gulf region is feeling. She went thru it all with the Exxon Valdez spill.
What did she learn from it ? :
"Drill baby drill" !!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have a problem with the way the whole thing was handled. Since it happened in fed waters, it was on the president. So While BP was trying things, and they are the experts, much more so than anyone in the white house would ever be, including every past president..........why didnt they give the governors everything they asked for to curtail it hitting the coast. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama governors know more what to do, engaging the people who travers the ocean, than anyone else could.
Why did we not just let the locals with their expertise do what they wanted, what they felt would help!
And where are Kevin Costners vaccuums? Im gonna go look!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Bobby Jendal (sp) probably had a good idea about building berms to at least keep the oil out in the water, but he was waiting to get approval from B.O. and Brack was hanging shooting hoops with the homies or hanging at Man's Country.

diesel96

Palin calls oil spill 'tragic' and defends offshore drilling

Steve Kraske - Kansas City Star

Gulf of Mexico oil spill or not, Sarah Palin on Saturday defended offshore drilling as an essential component of U.S. energy security.
Speaking to a crowd of mostly Republicans at the Independence Events Center, the former Alaska governor called the oil spill "very tragic" but added: "I want our country to be able to trust the oil industry."

Perhaps if Obama shared her opinion, there would be less blame on him ?

On another occasion she also said she knew what the population around the Gulf region is feeling. She went thru it all with the Exxon Valdez spill.
What did she learn from it ? :
"Drill baby drill" !!!

Supreme Court Overturns Exxon Valdez Verdict
This is one of those Supreme Court cases Quitter Palin couldn’t think of, even though it had just happened and it affected her own state....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is a shame it has been ignored. I still think we need to drill for oil in our own country, until some smart person finds things that will fuel cars and planes. But at this point use what we have, even if it doesnt work whats to lose?

wkmac

As the oil flows in the Gulf of Mexico from BP’s ruptured well, so does the BS from Obama’s White House in Washington. Using the privately-created crisis as an excuse for government involvement and political grandstanding, Obama was recently quoted by CNN as saying:
“’BP is the responsible party for this disaster,’ he said. ‘But as I said yesterday and as I repeated in the meeting we just left, I ultimately take responsibility for solving this crisis. I’m the president, and the buck stops with me.’”
Well, the first portion of Obama’s statement is obvious and true enough. But what is he alluding to in what follows? That he just accepted an offer of employment from British Petroleum?
Hardly: He’s doing what all government bureaucrats do all the time – arrogating power over areas where they have no legitimate authority, namely, the lives and property of others..........

It’s time to recognize that government has no proper role in this arena – or any other. The buck doesn’t stop with Obama, as much as he’d like to convince us all otherwise, and he has no legitimate right to use our hard-earned bucks to assist BP, or to do anything else at all. It is BP who, in a free market and a free society, are responsible for stopping the oil leak, cleaning up any mess it caused, and fully compensating anyone and everyone who has suffered damage as a result of this accident.

The Buck, and Oil, Stops With BP Alone

wkmac

I don't have the answer to this but I've been wondering could a rig have been set up in much shallower waters and then used slant drilling techniques to access this oil? Had a wellhead failure occurred there (shallow waters), at least divers might access directly instead of via remote robotics. I do believe oil is a replenishing material but the rate of withdrawal to replenish of reserves seems at present to factor in. Finding alternatives for not only the oil itself but also alternatives that are local to use, renewable eg sustainable, and don't require our worrying with access to foreign sources is just a win/win IMO.

All the Cheech and Chong jokes aside, I still think hemp oil could prove of some if not a lot of value if for nothing more than to replace petro needs in non-transport products like say plastics for example. Aside from the sorry excuse of the moral purity crowd back in the 30's, the bigger driving force behind the illegalization of all cannabis plants (marijuana and industrial hemp) was likely more from the efforts of the wood paper interests and of course the alcohol industry who had just gotten the green light to crank all the breweries back up. Last thing they needed was a competing product that one could grow in ones backyard but then again maybe the big holdup now to letting people grow their own is the fear of a homegrown, local competitor to the oil marketplace?

One might be well served to ask in whose interest the gov't (both parties) is serving? But take heart, remember, we have a "free market" so all is well!
:wink2:

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I don't have the answer to this but I've been wondering could a rig have been set up in much shallower waters and then used slant drilling techniques to access this oil? Had a wellhead failure occurred there (shallow waters), at least divers might access directly instead of via remote robotics. I do believe oil is a replenishing material but the rate of withdrawal to replenish of reserves seems at present to factor in. Finding alternatives for not only the oil itself but also alternatives that are local to use, renewable eg sustainable, and don't require our worrying with access to foreign sources is just a win/win IMO.

All the Cheech and Chong jokes aside, I still think hemp oil could prove of some if not a lot of value if for nothing more than to replace petro needs in non-transport products like say plastics for example. Aside from the sorry excuse of the moral purity crowd back in the 30's, the bigger driving force behind the illegalization of all cannabis plants (marijuana and industrial hemp) was likely more from the efforts of the wood paper interests and of course the alcohol industry who had just gotten the green light to crank all the breweries back up. Last thing they needed was a competing product that one could grow in ones backyard but then again maybe the big holdup now to letting people grow their own is the fear of a homegrown, local competitor to the oil marketplace?

One might be well served to ask in whose interest the gov't (both parties) is serving? But take heart, remember, we have a "free market" so all is well!
:wink2:

Not sure about Slant drilling in deepwater but ive heard of it for Nat gas in the shale areas. Im not a big fan of the deepwater drilling because its much more easy and safer in shallow water...can you say ANWR...but thats off limits.

tieguy

Banned
Supreme Court Overturns Exxon Valdez Verdict
This is one of those Supreme Court cases Quitter Palin couldn’t think of, even though it had just happened and it affected her own state....

There are many around with memory issues. Why even now there many around that forget that the democrats have controlled congress the past four years and that think Bush is still president. Palin can never match that kind of stupidity no matter how hard she tries. :hot4::winks:

diesel96

There are many around with memory issues. Why even now there many around that forget that the democrats have controlled congress the past four years and that think Bush is still president. Palin can never match that kind of stupidity no matter how hard she tries. :hot4::winks:

Tie, trick question to jolt your memory....lol, What newspapers and magazines did you read regularly to inform you ?

game, set....MATCH !

klein

Für Meno :)
Diesel I can top that. She is soo dumm, she's all over youtube !

and the comments on youtube are priceless ! :

I just took the newest 2 comments, many more of them :
  • im moving to canada. I can't share citizenship with this woman.
    wutup66 1 day ago 13
    pixel-vfl73.gif
  • I think people who are willing to pay $300 a plate to sit and listen to Palin spew her stupidity, should really re-evaluate themselves.
    dagrampster 4 hours ago
And this is just plain hilarious:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Boston getting smoked by Canadian wildfires

Smoke Alarm!

People have been inundating local police and fire departments with calls today about a fire that’s more than 200 miles away - in Quebec.
The culprit that is blanketing the Hub with haze is a series of more than 50 forest fires in northern Quebec. The smoke, metereologists say, is being sucked south down along coastal waters and then inland by a “back door cold front,” according to the National Weather Service.

Thanks to all that smoke on the water, air quality alerts issued by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protections

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Boston getting smoked by Canadian wildfires

Smoke Alarm!

People have been inundating local police and fire departments with calls today about a fire that’s more than 200 miles away - in Quebec.
The culprit that is blanketing the Hub with haze is a series of more than 50 forest fires in northern Quebec. The smoke, metereologists say, is being sucked south down along coastal waters and then inland by a “back door cold front,” according to the National Weather Service.

Thanks to all that smoke on the water, air quality alerts issued by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protections

If it's any consolation we have had the haze here all day as well. It was supposed to move back north this afternoon when a warm front moved in but that hasn't happened (yet).