Older driver fired for "not using 3 points of contact", but really for performance.

20_years_in

Re: Older driver fired for "not using 3 points of contact", but really for performanc

Try this--it will allow you to take care of the customer while keeping your center manager off your back. If a customer comes to you with checks in hand, deliver their pkgs to them and then go back in and void out the original delivery.

I will tell you that if you had my COD pkgs and I came to you with checks in hand and you refused to deliver them I would be calliing the 1-800# on you.

Many of my customers have called the 800 number for this exact reason and our OMS person told them to have their checks ready when the attempt was made. My on car told me that I had done the right thing by telling them that I would make the transaction the next day.
I could void the original attempt, but honestly I go right up to the 12 hour limit more often than not. I would hate to have to sheet my last 1 or 2 resi stops as missed because some guy was unprepared to write checks for the order that he placed. How much trouble do you think I would get in if I had a few missed at the end of the day because I voided out a perfectly valid COD attempt, only to resurrect the same stop again, however successfully?
It was not my choice to overdispatch the route nor did I create the 12 hour maximum law. Missed packages and working over 12 hours is a guaranteed visit to the office, and our center manager is very fast on the trigger to threaten a discharge. If it were my business, I would do it your way, but our center manager is going after the numbers. He obviously has a lot of heat on him.
BTW, can we get in trouble for posting this company info on the internet?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: Older driver fired for "not using 3 points of contact", but really for performanc

The time that you spent telling them you couldn't deliver the pkg would have been better spent delivering the pkg and voiding the original delivery attempt. You could also sheet the 2nd attempt as duplicate stop but your center manager may give you a hard time about doing that. Your OMS actually told the customers that they needed to have the checks ready? Doesn't this person know that we work for them, not the other way around?

You don't want to have any missed just to take care of the send agains. You also don't want to bring unwarranted attention upon yourself. Work as directed, despite the fact that the direction sucks.

As far as getting in to trouble for anything posted here, it is entirely possible that it could happen why is why I won't say anything here that I wouldn't say in person.

20_years_in

As far as getting in to trouble for anything posted here, it is entirely possible that it could happen which is why I won't say anything here that I wouldn't say in person.

I think I am going to do more reading than posting from now on because management has made me so fearful of being fired. For the umpteenth time I will reappear with a new user id that will hopefully not sow the seeds of my discharge. 20_years_in signing off and assuming a new identity which I will try my best to keep. Please understand my paranoia; I just don't want to let down my wife and kids.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think I am going to do more reading than posting from now on because management has made me so fearful of being fired. For the umpteenth time I will reappear with a new user id that will hopefully not sow the seeds of my discharge. 20_years_in signing off and assuming a new identity which I will try my best to keep. Please understand my paranoia; I just don't want to let down my husband and kids.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your paranoia. You have posted nothing even mildly controversial since joining. I don't agree with the philosophy of your mgt team, especially when it comes to customer service. You need to do what you are comfortable with for you and your family.

As I said above, UpstateNYUPSer and David A. ******** are one in the same. I don't sugarcoat or tell you what you want to hear. I am not here to make friends. I am here to share my experiences with others and to hopefully learn a thing or two.

804brown

I think I am going to do more reading than posting from now on because management has made me so fearful of being fired. For the umpteenth time I will reappear with a new user id that will hopefully not sow the seeds of my discharge. 20_years_in signing off and assuming a new identity which I will try my best to keep. Please understand my paranoia; I just don't want to let down my wife and kids.

Hint: dont come back as 21-years-in and your safe!! LOL

over9five

Staff member

I'll be Over 95. They'll never know!!!

djcodine

any chance of geting a copy of that leter id like to read it im part of the northern california region

Thomas Aiden

You gotta play their game, a pinky is 3 points of contact, thats all it takes. They are easily out witted.

annoyed804

The contract is only as good as your local that polices it. I hope your local is not the current 804 local. Their motto is if we like you we fight for you if we do not like you we do only what is required under law.

union4life

I recall my instructor at driving school telling us of a driver who had dropped off the pkgs in the morning only to come back in the afternoon to find that the business had gone out of business. The driver was on the hook for the COD's.
We have a driver hear in my center who had this exact situation happen. He is paying back about $1700.

union4life

Your OMS actually told the customers that they needed to have the checks ready? Doesn't this person know that we work for them, not the other way around?
Actually, we work for the customer that "shipped" the package. Not the one we are delivering to.

LagunaBrown

We created a Unfair Production Standards petition for people to sign online that takes about 3 minutes to complete, I guess the moderators here won't link it but you can go to LagunaBrown if you want to sign up as opposed to just complaining about the work.

Ups135

thats a very interesting case with the older driver. Where im from we had a center manager take a driver up for having 50-60 method violations, such as handrail, not tucking the mirror in and so on. They took it up past the local level and went to the state panel, people who sit on the committee said this "How many methods are there" company replied with I dont know, the added all the methods up and multiplied that by the number of stops that he had in a single day. They came to find that the driver was 99.99% effective in his job duties. They told the center manager not to bring any more of these up unless they have atleast 300 or more violations on a driver

THETOWN

Please excuse me for my ignorance. But what is a "signing bonus"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please excuse me for my ignorance. But what is a "signing bonus"?

A "signing bonus" is an incentive offered by management to get the rank and file to vote "yes" on a contract proposal. The bonus is paid upon ratification of the contract.

804brown

A "signing bonus" is an incentive offered by management to get the rank and file to vote "yes" on a contract proposal. The bonus is paid upon ratification of the contract.

More importantly, it is usually given as a replacement to a raise which means it doesnt carry over year after year!!