On making scratch and qualifying

mcsketcher

You won’t make sense of UPS. I was told I probably won’t make it, and yet I was also told if I did good I’d work “some” Saturdays. I’ve worked every Saturday since week 1 and I even got air this morning.

It’s all BS. Get done and don’t get hurt and take whatever work is offered til you’re in. Then use your UPS job to pack your retirement savings and bargain while interviewing for other jobs. Lots of remote work available now.

Pullman Brown

When staffing is solid in a center scratching a route and the particular philosophy of the center manager has more weight too it. If staffing is struggling or down right desperate then as long you can run the route without needing help from drivers every night your chances of making it go up tremendously! That’s what I have seen.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They have contradicting language! They have what you said and if staffing isn’t there you can force from the bottom! Force from the bottom is taking priority!

Being forced to work an extra shift is not the same as having a regular schedule. That extra shift, because It's not part of your regular schedule, even if you took days off earlier in the week, has to be paid at OT rate.

Last edited:

Pullman Brown

Being forced to work an extra shift is not the same as having a regular schedule. That extra shift, because It's not part of your regular schedule, even if you took days off earlier in the week, have to be paid at OT rate.

I know that. I’m not talking about getting time and a half on your unscheduled day. I was strictly referring to contract language that is pitted against each other, the if a work day falls outside of your regular schedule work day you can be forced in reverse order. That carries more weight in the contract language.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I know that. I’m not talking about getting time and a half on your unscheduled day. I was strictly referring to contract language that is pitted against each other, the if a work day falls outside of your regular schedule work day you can be forced in reverse order. That carries more weight in the contract language.

And I was explaining why the two clauses don't contradict each other.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I notice (mostly anecdotally, checking the numbers for fun on a day or two) that they like to take opposing plays like bumping up stops while adding allowances or reduce stops while reducing allowances in a sort of carrot/stick cycle.

Pullman Brown

If we had language that said you can't be forced to work on a day that is not a regularly scheduled day, then you would have a point. We don't, but it would be nice if we did.

Why don’t we have that type of language? I don’t think the forced six day fiasco going on in many areas changes without that language. UPS can’t work around that. Agree?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I can see the exception during Peak but doing the rest of the year if you don't have the proper staffing that shouldn't ruin someone else's life

The company has clearly abused the forced punch language. The language I would use to combat the forced punches is article 3 section 7.

"The Employer shall make every reasonable effort to maintain a suffcient workforce to staff its operations with bargaining unit employees."

Forcing people to work 6th punches for months on end does not sound like a reasonable effort. That sounds like they are understaffed.

The company has clearly abused the forced punch language. The language I would use to combat the forced punches is article 3 section 7.

"The Employer shall make every reasonable effort to maintain a suffcient workforce to staff its operations with bargaining unit employees."

Forcing people to work 6th punches for months on end does not sound like a reasonable effort. That sounds like they are understaffed.
No argument from me

Pullman Brown

That won’t work it’s to subjective. That language you used above is the only thing that will work.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Why don’t we have that type of language? I don’t think the forced six day fiasco going on in many areas changes without that language. UPS can’t work around that. Agree?

The forced punch language should recognize that it's for emergency or occasional purposes only, not as a way to properly and normally staff their operation. I don't think it's necessary to eliminate the forced punch language, as doing that might be too costly as far as negotiations are concerned. But scaling it back to its intended purpose shouldn't cost us any bargaining leverage.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That won’t work it’s to subjective. That language you used above is the only thing that will work.

It's meant to be a deterrent against supervisors working. But the intent of the language I think can be used to demonstrate that the company is not properly staffing it's operations.

Pullman Brown

It's meant to be a deterrent against supervisors working. But the intent of the language I think can be used to demonstrate that the company is not properly staffing it's operations.

Right but what standard do you use ? 5 drivers? 7, 10, 20. It’s just seems so subjective. What is not properly staffing mean anymore?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Right but what standard do you use ? 5 drivers? 7, 10, 20. It’s just seems so subjective. What is not properly staffing mean anymore?

This is what the argument is about. I think it should be clear to everyone that forcing people in on a day off regularly is a sign of improper staffing. The longer it is allowed to continue, the more the company will try to say it's normal.