On making scratch and qualifying

Pullman Brown

This is what the argument is about. I think it should be clear to everyone that forcing people in on a day off regularly is a sign of improper staffing. The longer it is allowed to continue, the more the company will try to say it's normal.

I just don’t understand how keeping the same language trying to grieve it, focusing on Article 3 section 7 is going to stop the company from normalizing this. It hasn’t stopped them now. If the Union wants to take that approach and gamble without at least changing the language a little bit up to what you said-none of us should be surprised if it stays the same or gets worse.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I just don’t understand how keeping the same language trying to grieve it, focusing on Article 3 section 7 is going to stop the company from normalizing this. It hasn’t stopped them now. If the Union wants to take that approach and gamble without at least changing the language a little bit up to what you said-none of us should be surprised if it stays the same or gets worse.

I'm not arguing that the union shouldn't negotiate for better language in the next contract. I meant that if I were to fight the current, on-going forced 6th punches, that's how I would do it with the current language. It needs to be fought early and often to keep it from getting worse, and to help our negotiating position for the next contract.

Pullman Brown

I'm not arguing that the union shouldn't negotiate for better language in the next contract. I meant that if I were to fight the current, on-going forced 6th punches, that's how I would do it with the current language. It needs to be fought early and often to keep it from getting worse, and to help our negotiating position for the next contract.

Are you a shop steward?

Thebrownblob

The company has clearly abused the forced punch language. The language I would use to combat the forced punches is article 3 section 7.

"The Employer shall make every reasonable effort to maintain a suffcient workforce to staff its operations with bargaining unit employees."

Forcing people to work 6th punches for months on end does not sound like a reasonable effort. That sounds like they are understaffed.
I have written a grievance for the building Im in for that exact scenario, the company has failed to uphold there end of the contract and properly staff the operation continually, causing undue burden on current package car drivers, as well as violating the spirit of the agreement because now regular package car drivers are working six days and the to 22.4s are working five. Exactly the opposite of what the contract was supposed to create. It doesn’t even get into the fact they’re pushing Monday volume on Saturdays thereby creating more unnecessary routes Saturday and forcing more people. A complete and total :censored2: show.

Pullman Brown

I have written a grievance for the building Im in for that exact scenario, the company has failed to uphold there end of the contract and properly staff the operation continually, causing undue burden on current package car drivers, as well as violating the spirit of the agreement because now regular package car drivers are working six days and the to 22.4s are working five. Exactly the opposite of what the contract was supposed to create. It doesn’t even get into the fact they’re pushing Monday volume on Saturdays thereby creating more unnecessary routes Saturday and forcing more people. A complete and total :censored2: show.

Have they made a decision yet?

So today they gave me a day off. Starting to break my balls about numbers with about two weeks left of my 30. Giving me the usual ups spiel we like you and see how hard you’re working we want you to qualify. It’s hotter than hell and even more humid and you gotta be safe and don’t crash

BUTTTTTTT

We need you to be faster !

mcsketcher

So today they gave me a day off. Starting to break my balls about numbers with about two weeks left of my 30. Giving me the usual ups spiel we like you and see how hard you’re working we want you to qualify. It’s hotter than hell and even more humid and you gotta be safe and don’t crash

BUTTTTTTT

Yep. Ignore them. It’s all BS.

Yep. Ignore them. It’s all BS.
I had a really tough apartment yesterday 65 pieces. Lots of walking and got caught in a downpour. Cost me some time. They claimed I was a couple hours over which seems impossible to me given there’s pickups I can’t even do until like 530 or so

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

BUTTTTTTT

Everyone runs when qualifying

UndressedFedexed

DQd Day One
So I’ve been driving for about 3 weeks now halfway through my 30 days roughly. Tuesday to Saturday schedule so apparently Saturdays don’t count towards your 30. Do you have to scratch to qualify or is it a numbers game that Ups can manipulate? With a half hour lunch scratch would be finishing before 530 for me and I have letterboxes that can’t be picked up before then. So it feels almost impossible. I’m getting better at the job though and I think management likes me. Anyway any input appreciated thanks
Don’t stop at stop signs, run red lights, never take your break, small packages can be thrown from package car to the door, never stop for peds in crosswalks, never wear your seatbelt (slows you down) and honestly use as little as you can of the brakes. If you follow these methods you will qualify. If you don’t, come on over to FedEx.

UnionStrong

Don’t stop at stop signs, run red lights, never take your break, small packages can be thrown from package car to the door, never stop for peds in crosswalks, never wear your seatbelt (slows you down) and honestly use as little as you can of the brakes. If you follow these methods you will qualify. If you don’t, come on over to FedEx.
Never close bulkhead door either

What'dyabringmetoday???

Well,

You have to take your whole lunch....so no factor.

Your day should vary as it varies.....

Some days 5:30 some days 10:30.

In my day, we had to have 5 days better than scratch....you had 22 days. Then a decision was made to go forward or DQ.

I found that some things hurt your day....some help.

UPS doesn't care what happens out there......but they expect you to overcome all obstacles and meet their numbers whatever their manipulation.

If they want you to make it...you will.
Or go full-time in feeders then if you go to delivery you are already a full-time employee.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Scratch five days in a row is what we are hearing in our center.
They are obviously looking at other things as well, missed premiums, back first exceptions, so on.

Also, I do believe Saturdays count towards your packet. Any day you log into a truck.
Good luck. Work hard, don't crash get all stops off.
They need warm bodies- everyone should chill. They will hire anyone now. Even Big Union Man...

UnionStrong

If you ran as humid as it’s been in jersey you would pass out
I ran my ass off in the northeast in summertime. August of 90. I know what it’s like. And I didn’t pass out. Just stay hydrated. If you’re not a fatty and in decent shape, you can hold out till you make the list. Then you can drop anchor and work like you should.

mcsketcher

I had a really tough apartment yesterday 65 pieces. Lots of walking and got caught in a downpour. Cost me some time. They claimed I was a couple hours over which seems impossible to me given there’s pickups I can’t even do until like 530 or so
Same. I’m still apparently qualifying. Haven’t gotten all my mentoring in yet.

Apts suck. Even when they say you have to take them to the Apt door, I just leave it in the mail location and call it front door.

They’ve told me I was 1.5hrs over when I had checked the time in the morning and I’d beat it by 1/2hr. It’s all 100% made up BS to make to try harder than you possibly can.

Same with pickups. Ask the biz when the driver usually gets there and you’ll find they’re hitting them early a lot of the time.