On road sup

brownIEman

We had a sup that wouldn't answer his phone. He now has a company provided cellphone...

Weird, so now they are saving him around $70 or $100 / month. Why didn't they just fire him?
FYI, Back in the day I had a UPS provided cell phone. I didn't answer that one at 2 AM either unless I was already up.

Sigh, OK, I will parse out Dr. Brownz ignorant diatribe, if only to give actual answers to the OP assuming he is considering this move and not just trolling.

Weird, so now they are saving him around $70 or $100 / month. Why didn't they just fire him?
FYI, Back in the day I had a UPS provided cell phone. I didn't answer that one at 2 AM either unless I was already up.

Sigh, OK, I will parse out Dr. Brownz ignorant diatribe, if only to give actual answers to the OP assuming he is considering this move and not just trolling.
Because he actually knows what he is doing.
He isn't enslaved to this place.

brownIEman

You will work more hours for less money.

This is probably the closest thing to true. But it depends. As a rule of thumb, the ORS salary was typically about what a top rate driver made working 45 hours/week. It has probably slipped some I would guess. But, there is no progression, so you don't have to wait 4 years for top rate. On average, an ORS probably works more than 45 hours a week. But that depends on a lot of factors, many of which the ORS has some control over. There were times I worked 80 hour weeks. There were a few times (admittedly not often) I worked 30 or less hour weeks. I got paid the same. Both of my daughters were born during the years I was a full time operations supervisor, and I made sure I went with my wife to every ultrasound appointment for both without ever taking a personal day. For a FT management person, it is about covering your responsibilities, not about the hours worked. As was pointed out, if you advance to center manager, the pay goes up significantly.

They will say you will get paid for OT as an on road and then pressure you into not filing the paperwork to get paid properly.

FT management are salary. They do not get OT no matter how many forms they fill out. This statement is totally ignorant. As stated before, if you work 80hrs, or 0 hours, same pay.

As an onroad you can be fired for any reason, you don't have the union to protect you from corporate scum.

ORS does not have a union. The rest of this statement is totally false. You cannot be fired for just any reason. If your manager, or Division Manager, or District Manager want you gone, they will have to go through HR and show cause. It is a much different employee/employer relationship than with the union, so, if you are jerk and have no ability to develop and maintain positive interpersonal relationships in a professional setting with the people you report to, then the job is not for you. ( BTW, that last sentence was a test, if you read it and thought "Yeah, he means if you aren't willing to kiss your bosses ass", then, guess what? You are a jerk and have no idea how to develop and maintain positive interpersonal relationships with the people you report to, and the job is not for you.) During my career I had 2 Division managers and an OPS manager who wanted a UPS without me involved (probably mostly because they thought I was a smart ass with a cavalier attitude. I know right? :) ) The closest they came was when I was pressured to take a special assignment. Turned out to be the best assignment of my career, go figure. It was a lot of travel, but I enjoyed it, and after the assignment I went on my next 3 or 4 vacations on airline miles and hotel points acquired on UPS' dime.

Onroads are oncall 24/7 so when the DM tells you to get out of bed at 2am and drive 3 hours to a nearby center to help out you have to do it.

You will be expected to pitch in and occasionally go above and beyond. But this 24/7 on call is simply not true. I worked preload or twilight occasionally, did many special assignments. During the disaster that was peak '13 I went on a ready team to Utah, Oklahoma, and CACH. None of them were on less than 24 hour prior notice, and none of them were strictly non-voluntary. Had I had family issues that would have made them a hardship, I could have simply told my boss and refused to go. As it turned out, I loved all three. The OK assignment ended on Dec 23rd and I flew home the morning of Dec 24th, and reported directly to my center of course (if you believe that, I have bridge you might be interested in). Spending a Christmas eve with family and friends during one of the worst Peaks in memory was a nice perk that I can say for a certainty none of the drivers in my center enjoyed. No, that is not a reason to take the job, but it was nice.

This is probably the closest thing to true. But it depends. As a rule of thumb, the ORS salary was typically about what a top rate driver made working 45 hours/week. It has probably slipped some I would guess. But, there is no progression, so you don't have to wait 4 years for top rate. On average, an ORS probably works more than 45 hours a week. But that depends on a lot of factors, many of which the ORS has some control over. There were times I worked 80 hour weeks. There were a few times (admittedly not often) I worked 30 or less hour weeks. I got paid the same. Both of my daughters were born during the years I was a full time operations supervisor, and I made sure I went with my wife to every ultrasound appointment for both without ever taking a personal day. For a FT management person, it is about covering your responsibilities, not about the hours worked. As was pointed out, if you advance to center manager, the pay goes up significantly.

FT management are salary. They do not get OT no matter how many forms they fill out. This statement is totally ignorant. As stated before, if you work 80hrs, or 0 hours, same pay.

ORS does not have a union. The rest of this statement is totally false. You cannot be fired for just any reason. If your manager, or Division Manager, or District Manager want you gone, they will have to go through HR and show cause. It is a much different employee/employer relationship than with the union, so, if you are jerk and have no ability to develop and maintain positive interpersonal relationships in a professional setting with the people you report to, then the job is not for you. ( BTW, that last sentence was a test, if you read it and thought "Yeah, he means if you aren't willing to kiss your bosses ass", then, guess what? You are a jerk and have no idea how to develop and maintain positive interpersonal relationships with the people you report to, and the job is not for you.) During my career I had 2 Division managers and an OPS manager who wanted a UPS without me involved (probably mostly because they thought I was a smart ass with a cavalier attitude. I know right? :) ) The closest they came was when I was pressured to take a special assignment. Turned out to be the best assignment of my career, go figure. It was a lot of travel, but I enjoyed it, and after the assignment I went on my next 3 or 4 vacations on airline miles and hotel points acquired on UPS' dime.

You will be expected to pitch in and occasionally go above and beyond. But this 24/7 on call is simply not true. I worked preload or twilight occasionally, did many special assignments. During the disaster that was peak '13 I went on a ready team to Utah, Oklahoma, and CACH. None of them were on less than 24 hour prior notice, and none of them were strictly non-voluntary. Had I had family issues that would have made them a hardship, I could have simply told my boss and refused to go. As it turned out, I loved all three. The OK assignment ended on Dec 23rd and I flew home the morning of Dec 24th, and reported directly to my center of course (if you believe that, I have bridge you might be interested in). Spending a Christmas eve with family and friends during one of the worst Peaks in memory was a nice perk that I can say for a certainty none of the drivers in my center enjoyed. No, that is not a reason to take the job, but it was nice.
That's why back in the day they didn't want us going over 45 hours a week.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

75k with MIP, tops out around 100k i think
That's all, no union protection ,you pay for a health insurance premium, no pension, etc... now please do the actual real math
Let's say 100k sounds fair - monthly health insurance premiums + any copays and additional costs = $xx,xxx.xx per year. Now take that and - 401k contributions that would in effect replace a drivers pension. What you are left with is what you would actually make now you have an apples to apples comparison

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
That's all, no union protection ,you pay for a health insurance premium, no pension, etc... now please do the actual real math
Let's say 100k sounds fair - monthly health insurance premiums + any copays and additional costs = $xx,xxx.xx per year. Now take that and - 401k contributions that would in effect replace a drivers pension. What you are left with is what you would actually make now you have an apples to apples comparison
1. firing a FT sup is more difficult than you realize, unless they’re dirty and stupid at the same time

2. who cares unless you’re some diseased person who’s chronically sick

3. who cares a 401k is better

4. you’ll still retire with millions if you aren’t an idiot and at least your body isn’t :censored2:ing broken and weather beaten to :censored2: when you do retire

dudebro

1. firing a FT sup is more difficult than you realize, unless they’re dirty and stupid at the same time

4. you’ll still retire with millions if you aren’t an idiot and at least your body isn’t :censored2:ing broken and weather beaten to :censored2: when you do retire

Not to mention, special assignments are interesting most of the time. I've been to California from the east coast so much I brought my family out there on vacation, paid for the hotel rooms with points, and knew where to go and what to do. It was fantastic.
People here are making special assignments sound like the gulag in Siberia.

And how many supervisors end up taking mental cacativac in the nut house?
Mental stress will kill you before working hard does.

Returntosender

The smart ones always keep a paper trail Incase they get fired? At their hearing they can prove their manager instructed them to do the dirty! If at hearing they loose they can always go to Amazon

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Firing may or may not be as difficult as I may or may not think it is from both sides of the aisle management or union.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and by the way personal circumstances do in fact matter. Each has to make the choice based on their and their families best interests.

Now as to the money, we have at least half a dozen guys in our center who routinely break 100k do they work more or less than management? I've never personally cared to ask. However I can work a calculator so it's not really all that hard to figure out if I wanted to. Have a great weekend ya all
Ps. Just incase you didn't know there are many chronic diseases/illnesses a person can develop that induce serious side effects such as chronic pain, fatigue. Cancer comes to mind. So who cares? Good question?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
And how many supervisors end up taking mental cacativac in the nut house?
Mental stress will kill you before working hard does.
the only sups i've seen take stress leave were the ones on the cusp of being fired for being ridiculously incompetent (and not willing to even try to change), or the ones who were fixing timecards/hours and got caught

The smart ones always keep a paper trail Incase they get fired? At their hearing they can prove their manager instructed them to do the dirty! If at hearing they loose they can always go to Amazon
amazon is worse for management; longer hours, same pay, less benefits, far more stress

unless you're IE of course, that's a totally different world anyways

Now as to the money, we have at least half a dozen guys in our center who routinely break 100k do they work more or less than management? I've never personally cared to ask. Just incase you didn't know there are many chronic diseases/illnesses a person can develop that induce serious side effects such as chronic pain, fatigue. Cancer comes to mind. So who cares? Good question?
you know, our health benefits aren't THAT bad

i've had several medical assistants comment on how good UPS health benefits are, even on the cheapo management plans

YMMV

brownIEman

you know, our health benefits aren't THAT bad

i've had several medical assistants comment on how good UPS health benefits are, even on the cheapo management plans

YMMV

The crap drivers talk on here about management health benefits remind me of a spoiled teenager driving around in a brand new Lexus looking down his nose at his classmate's Accord. Yes, the Lexus is nicer, but they both get you were you need to go comfortably. meh.

Management is certainly not for everyone. Probably the biggest difference is that there is way more flexibility in the relationship between you and your boss than with an hourly. This cuts both ways. If your boss hates you, he has more flexibility to try and fire you or to try and make your life a living hell to get you to quit than with the union. The converse is also true. I knew a manager who was well respected by his superiors who had an unexpected death in the family. There was no 3 days for funeral travel or whatever is in the contract. It was take whatever time you need, I think he was off for 2 weeks, maybe a bit longer. No vacation time used, all of it paid, no stopping of benefits, no forms to fill out, just go do what you need to do. For me, that was always preferable to the rigidity of the union/employer relationship, but it's not for everyone and I respect that.

Dr.Brownz

literally none of that is true

Straight from my onroads mouth. Guess it's just a symptom of the lying and dishonest culture that you guys in management have cultivated.

What are you saying then? Can FT sups get OT? IF not then mine is working for free constantly, (also violating DOT hours) If they can get OT then why is my supervisor feeling pressured to not get paid for it? Seems like a strange thing to say since he knows I don't care if he has to work for free.

Dr.Brownz

The other thing is - everyone compares on car supervisor to driver. Many supervisors go on to become managers or higher, and the pay goes up considerably.

Simple math, there are less higher level positions than there are onroad positions......which means the majority do not go higher.

Straight from my onroads mouth. Guess it's just a symptom of the lying and dishonest culture that you guys in management have cultivated.

What are you saying then? Can FT sups get OT? IF not then mine is working for free constantly, (also violating DOT hours) If they can get OT then why is my supervisor feeling pressured to not get paid for it? Seems like a strange thing to say since he knows I don't care if he has to work for free.
Do you understand the concept of a salary?

UPSER1987

Either you or your Sups are poorly informed. Management hours are SALARY. One is never working for free. They get a SALARY regardless of the hours worked. It’s not difficult people