On road sup

RolloTony Brown Town

TearsInRain and BrownIEMan have been spot on throughout this thread.

At the end of the day you need to understand that management isn’t for everyone.

There are positives to both being a career package/feeder driver and going into management. The posts from the union folks about on roads being drivers that couldn’t hack it simply isn’t true. Are there circumstances like that? Of course. Those are the worst of the supervisors. They got into the job for the wrong reasons.

My advice to anyone reading this is to follow your gut. Do you care about your job? Can you care about your job while you’re being told by drivers that you’re a liar and a scab? Will you tell a driver the way he/she should be doing their job when they have a bad habit? Will you Answer their questions honestly even if it means you’re telling them the method is incorrect?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Straight from my onroads mouth. Guess it's just a symptom of the lying and dishonest culture that you guys in management have cultivated.

What are you saying then? Can FT sups get OT? IF not then mine is working for free constantly, (also violating DOT hours) If they can get OT then why is my supervisor feeling pressured to not get paid for it? Seems like a strange thing to say since he knows I don't care if he has to work for free.
your ORS sounds like a total * if he's doing those things or allowing them to happen in his presence

Last edited by a moderator:

TearsInRain and BrownIEMan have been spot on throughout this thread.

At the end of the day you need to understand that management isn’t for everyone.

There are positives to both being a career package/feeder driver and going into management. The posts from the union folks about on roads being drivers that couldn’t hack it simply isn’t true. Are there circumstances like that? Of course. Those are the worst of the supervisors. They got into the job for the wrong reasons.

My advice to anyone reading this is to follow your gut. Do you care about your job? Can you care about your job while you’re being told by drivers that you’re a liar and a scab? Will you tell a driver the way he/she should be doing their job when they have a bad habit? Will you Answer their questions honestly even if it means you’re telling them the method is incorrect?
What are the mgmt positives? Why are nearly all new mgmt new and inexperienced?

RolloTony Brown Town

The type of invaluable experience in logistics and transportation that you can’t get anywhere else. Opportunities to learn about industrial engineering, labor relations, interpersonal relations, and Human Resources, etc that you don’t get to learn about when you’re a delivery driver.

The reason that most on roads are new and inexperienced is because the drivers that have stayed in the union don’t want it. Think about it... if you’ve been in for 10+ years you’ve opportunities to Go into management. Many of them have the ability but not the desire to go into management. There’s a level of commitment that they don’t have. AND THATS FINE! There’s nothing wrong with wanting to remain an hourly. There’s nothing wrong with pursuing management.

The type of invaluable experience in logistics and transportation that you can’t get anywhere else. Opportunities to learn about industrial engineering, labor relations, interpersonal relations, and Human Resources, etc that you don’t get to learn about when you’re a delivery driver.

The reason that most on roads are new and inexperienced is because the drivers that have stayed in the union don’t want it. Think about it... if you’ve been in for 10+ years you’ve opportunities to Go into management. Many of them have the ability but not the desire to go into management. There’s a level of commitment that they don’t have. AND THATS FINE! There’s nothing wrong with wanting to remain an hourly. There’s nothing wrong with pursuing management.
Let’s be clear when we compare driving to mgmt. we are comparing to operations mgmt.

It all sounds good for volunteer work. But you did not list any benefits. If there were a benefit for a 10 year driver to go into mgmt., many would do it. That is not happening.

RolloTony Brown Town

Let’s be clear when we compare driving to mgmt. we are comparing to operations mgmt.

It all sounds good for volunteer work. But you did not list any benefits. If there were a benefit for a 10 year driver to go into mgmt., many would do it. That is not happening.

That depends on your idea of benefit. My back doesn’t hurt. Neither do my knees. Only time management gets their balls busted is because they did something wrong same as a driver. I’ve had very little issues with that.

To be clear I’ve only been in operations management. I was a hub supervisor who drove. I became a package on road and ups helped me get my cdl. Now I’ve gotten feeder dispatch and feeder on road experience. These are all avenues I would not have been able to pursue had I stayed a driver.

Maybe ups is my career, maybe it’s not. I can take my experience to several other companies. There are benefits to whatever paths we choose. I don’t :censored2: on yours. Don’t :censored2: on ours.

That depends on your idea of benefit. My back doesn’t hurt. Neither do my knees. Only time management gets their balls busted is because they did something wrong same as a driver. I’ve had very little issues with that.

To be clear I’ve only been in operations management. I was a hub supervisor who drove. I became a package on road and ups helped me get my cdl. Now I’ve gotten feeder dispatch and feeder on road experience. These are all avenues I would not have been able to pursue had I stayed a driver.

Maybe ups is my career, maybe it’s not. I can take my experience to several other companies. There are benefits to whatever paths we choose. I don’t :censored2: on yours. Don’t :censored2: on ours.
Again nice for volunteer work. Feeder experience does come with driving. I’ve been on both sides. You sound very young.

Benefits driving

Pay: $37
Vacation: 7 weeks (310 hours$
Optional days: 5 days (40 hours)
Sick: 40+ hours
Retirement: @ age 52

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

i'm in management because i enjoy managing people; i like making things organized and efficient (as much as i'm allowed to)

i love my job 95% of the time

if the only thing you're going to keep bringing up is pay or benefits, you don't understand management whatsoever

dudebro

A 10 year driver is there for 10 years because he or she enjoys being a driver. Of course they don't change jobs. I liked the driving job just fine while I did it, but I wanted to do the types of things an engineering degree allowed me to do. I would have gotten bored driving for 30 years or even 10, but that's just me.

dudebro

Simple math, there are less higher level positions than there are onroad positions......which means the majority do not go higher.

Sure - the VAST majority of loaders don't go driving. What's the point of that observation?

Does that mean the driving job isn't good or that it's impossible to get one?

A 10 year driver is there for 10 years because he or she enjoys being a driver. Of course they don't change jobs. I liked the driving job just fine while I did it, but I wanted to do the types of things an engineering degree allowed me to do. I would have gotten bored driving for 30 years or even 10, but that's just me.
My experience was reversed. Years of dispatching, peak plans, running centers at the 90-95% threshold. Driving brought hundreds of routes, sales leads, and personal contacts (both within ups and outside). Everyday it’s something new.

With just Orion alone there are a ton more safety hazards to the job and a different plan to fail everyday.

i'm in management because i enjoy managing people; i like making things organized and efficient (as much as i'm allowed to)

i love my job 95% of the time

if the only thing you're going to keep bringing up is pay or benefits, you don't understand management whatsoever
Well there is hiring and training... watching trainees become center managers is satisfying. But the pay and benefits suck.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

the only sups i've seen take stress leave were the ones on the cusp of being fired for being ridiculously incompetent (and not willing to even try to change), or the ones who were fixing timecards/hours and got caught

amazon is worse for management; longer hours, same pay, less benefits, far more stress

unless you're IE of course, that's a totally different world anyways

you know, our health benefits aren't THAT bad

i've had several medical assistants comment on how good UPS health benefits are, even on the cheapo management plans

YMMV
I agree, regardless of if you're managment or union the health insurance is either as good as, better, or far superior to what you would find at another job or company rather
For my family my situation, the difference in copays between management and union on the specific medications my wife and children need to not only live but have a functioning life, is shall we say cost prohibitive. See everybody's body is different, my wife and children have metabolisms that consume medication. For instance you may take a advil at the recommended dosage and feel a small sense of relief from pain. My wife and children need to take 3 or 4 not two advil and alternative with tylenol at 2 hr intervals as per a doctor's orders to receive the same relief. Thus, if a given medication is generally prescribed at 50mg per day I can expect a doctor to prescribe 300 to 400 mg dosages for my kids. This is extremely costly as you could imagine, thus the differences between these two options for me are magnified. I understand not everyone's situation.

UPSER1987

My experience was reversed. Years of dispatching, peak plans, running centers at the 90-95% threshold. Driving brought hundreds of routes, sales leads, and personal contacts (both within ups and outside). Everyday it’s something new.

With just Orion alone there are a ton more safety hazards to the job and a different plan to fail everyday.

Are you retired or still active? Are you saying Orion made the job less satisfying?