on the truck before start time

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Red, you brought up a good point in "pkg hide and seek".

With all these drivers that apparently are working off the clock, where are all the stewards for these drivers at? Why aren't these stewards raising 9 kinds of hell at these centers?

stringerman85

Like I said in the other thread.....
Who in the hell wants to look at the crap in the morning anyway :happy-very: I get into my truck and put my stuff in there and see a wall of bricks stacked near the bulk head door, All I think is holy christ...Then I walk out...I rather deal with that stuff when I'm at my first stop :wink2: Then from there just dig for my rear bulk stops, But at 8:30 before start time, NO THANKS

brownrodster

Normally I show up less than 5 minutes before start time. Often only 2 or 3 minutes before start time and never touch a package before I clock in. However, I'm on a new junk route until x-mas . Today I showed up 10 minutes early, put my crap in my truck and checked out my first shelf before I went to PCM. After PCM I did a little sorting then took off. This time of year I'll gladly give away a few minutes a day if it makes the day less stressfull because no matter what we are working late and totally screwed.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
10 minutes straightening,cleaning,loading,sorting,setting up,getting supplies,finding totes,hand carts,getting call tags,air manifests,filling out CSA tests,helper info, etc. before start times adds up to this:

50 min per week free labor
210 min. (3.5 hrs.) per month free labor = $ 99.89
2520 min (42 hrs.) per year free labor = $1198.68

So you are basically working an entire week for free by spending 10 minutes a day working before start time. Why would you give a thousand dollars back to UPS? There are those who "get it" and those who don't. Which one are you?

And that's just at 10 minutes in the morning, some spend way more time. How much money are you losing???

Normally I show up less than 5 minutes before start time. Often only 2 or 3 minutes before start time and never touch a package before I clock in. However, I'm on a new junk route until x-mas . Today I showed up 10 minutes early, put my crap in my truck and checked out my first shelf before I went to PCM. After PCM I did a little sorting then took off. This time of year I'll gladly give away a few minutes a day if it makes the day less stressfull because no matter what we are working late and totally screwed.

And if we are working late anyways, why bother? You'll reap the benefit of waiting till on the clock, at the end of the week.

over9five

Staff member
I would like to think we are all professional drivers. As professional drivers, we really have no need to work off the clock. You get in your truck after your start time, and go out and do the job.

.......and get paid for it.

barnyard

KTM rider
It's not just drivers.

Last time I was bumped to the preload, the unloaders were opening up the trailers, getting their rollers and load stands postioned, preloaders were sorting send agains, getting totes, and all that. When start time clicked, there were already packages on the belt.

I was unloading and hung out at the time clock. Walked down to my trailer and started setting up. Supe went ballistic wondering why I was not ready.

It amazes me that people that scream about getting kicked off the clock at 5 hours, have no problem giving away 10-15 minutes of free labor every day before the start time.

There are only 3 groups in my center that I do not see whoring themselves off the clock, feeders, local sort and mechanics.

TB

JustTired

free at last.......
Seems I read in an earlier thread that if someone is working "off the clock", that it could be grieved by anyone to receive the pay that the person is forfeiting by doing so.

Not sure of the validity of this....but it would surely go a long way in getting these people out of the trucks before their start time.

I, at one time, was guilty of doing the same. But in reflection, I'm guessing it did more harm than good. If you think of it from a loaders' perspective, it could make them feel that you're just, by your action, saying that they suck as a loader. And if they suck....why even try when you are going to go in and "straighten" everything they just did? They have no incentive to do a better job. As a matter of fact they will just get lazy and pitch the stuff in anywhere because they know you will put it where it belongs.

Sorting your vehicle before start time is a habit that's hard to break. I know! But most loaders will ultimately do a good job when given a chance. Communicating any load problems with them,along with praise for a good job, will help you while on the clock and make them feel better about the job they are doing for you.

Try it!........it just might work!

Seems I read in an earlier thread that if someone is working "off the clock", that it could be grieved by anyone to receive the pay that the person is forfeiting by doing so.

Not sure of the validity of this....but it would surely go a long way in getting these people out of the trucks before their start time.

I, at one time, was guilty of doing the same. But in reflection, I'm guessing it did more harm than good. If you think of it from a loaders' perspective, it could make them feel that you're just, by your action, saying that they suck as a loader. And if they suck....why even try when you are going to go in and "straighten" everything they just did? They have no incentive to do a better job. As a matter of fact they will just get lazy and pitch the stuff in anywhere because they know you will put it where it belongs.

Sorting your vehicle before start time is a habit that's hard to break. I know! But most loaders will ultimately do a good job when given a chance. Communicating any load problems with them,along with praise for a good job, will help you while on the clock and make them feel better about the job they are doing for you.

Try it!........it just might work!
I agree with what you have said in part.
It is true that with some loaders you do not give them the incentive to become better at their job. However there are some that "suck" at it and have for a long time and are not going to do any better regardless of what a driver does or doesn't do. For instance, the route I have been covering off and on for the past three months. The day before yesterday, I had 4 off area misloads and the load was a mess, I wrote him up. Yesterday, the load wasn't as bad but the pkg count was down by 50. I did a quick spot check before the loader left and found an off area misload. When I pointed it out to him he said it was because he had extra cars to load. Good enough excuse I suppose, but this is a pattern for going back to summer. The wins with this loader are one day at a time.

As for those that say, : why worry about your load being messed up, the longer you are on the clock the more money you make". This is a true statement, however everyone isn't driven by the dollar alone. I would rather make a little less money, have a good day and get home in time to spend some time with my wife, that's why I married her. It's pretty simple to me, if I work a 1/2 less today, that is a 1/2 hour I get to snuggle with my Lady, before I pass out from exhaustion.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
With all these drivers that apparently are working off the clock, where are all the stewards for these drivers at? Why aren't these stewards raising 9 kinds of hell at these centers?
\
dill

that is just exactly what they want, to pit one driver against another. in many centers, the shop steward is hated because of that type of action.

please understand, its not the unions job to keep drivers off the truck before start time

it is the sole legal responsibility of the company.

they have the ability, they have the responsibility. but because they see it as getting millions of free work each year, they allow it. and will keep allowing it until they get snake bit.

they tried that "you are the steward, you get them off the truck" crap with me. i filed a safety grievance on it. and for pay as well. the pay part they were eager to pay, the safety grievance took longer to settle.

and for two years, until i left, no one in the trucks.

last time i went back to pick up packages early, it had reverted back to 60% getting back on the truck before start time again.

so the drivers think and see that as me getting them off the truck before start time, not the company.

again, the company is not to allow the behavior.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
And that's just at 10 minutes in the morning, some spend way more time. How much money are you losing???

And if we are working late anyways, why bother? You'll reap the benefit of waiting till on the clock, at the end of the week.
And another point to yours Steve, we can only work 12 hrs a day, if we go over that we have to mgt approval. We can not under any circumstances go over 14 hrs a day. If you are losing 10-30 mins a day by working off the clock that could easily give you a short day on fri because of the 60 hr rule.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Oh, I agree with you Danny. I know. There is a side door into the argument of the drivers being pissed at the steward. Steward goes to mgt, Joe Blow is working, you need to adjust the time card to reflect the new start time.

All the steward needs to do is make sure all drivers know that anyone starting early will be given the same treatment. Mgt will get pissed quick enough at having to adjust time cards for every driver. Mgt will put a stop to it. Reverse psychology.

brownrodster

Have any of you actually changed your start times to reflect coming in early and sorting ??? I have. If I'm doing certain routes then I show up early, punch in and sort on the clock. I'm a cover driver and my load quality will often dictate if I sink or swim. Also, have some of the people who sort off the clock thought about just sorting on the clock after PCM ???? I've seen many drivers in my center stay as long as 30 minutes after PCM to make sure their trucks are loaded properly before they leave. I generally don't touch a package off the clock but it does happen every once in a while depending on what I've got going on or if I NEED to be done early for something.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family

in the district office, we were required to be there and set up and ready to work 10 minutes before start time (not on the clock) so we were ready to begin our day at start time.

i guess this is what happens when you have no union to back you. you also get downsized when you have no union. but it was not an operations position, and we were not "allowed" to unionize.:dead:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Back in the day I used to spend a good 45 minutes off the clock sorting my truck. It was justified because our center was a bonus center and I used to run an hour under so I was technically getting paid. Either start at 830am without sorting and get done at 700pm or start sorting at 745am and get done at 615pm. Its all the same amount of time being paid for so what the *****? I liked getting home as early as possible. My loader was horrible. If I didnt sort I would have had misloads that were my responsibility to run off at the end of the day. Who needs that *****? I had to leave for work early to avoid rush hour traffic so I was at work anyway might as well do something positive with the time. I absolutley hated the forced overtime and wanted nothing more than 8 hours of work in my truck per day.

The best day of my career at UPS was when I bid out of the package car********* job and into an article 22 combination job. From there went to feeders. My life has been fabulous ever since. I continuously encourage all of the drivers I used to work with to follow in my footsteps.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just curious, are ****************** necessary? I could care less if you use these words as they are a reflection on you and your lack of a vocabulary, but there may be some members here who may take offense so do us a favor and clean up the language.

You would be amazed at how much more effective your posts would be if you avoided the curse words--people may actually read them.

Last edited by a moderator:

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Have any of you actually changed your start times to reflect coming in early and sorting ??? I have. If I'm doing certain routes then I show up early, punch in and sort on the clock. I'm a cover driver and my load quality will often dictate if I sink or swim. Also, have some of the people who sort off the clock thought about just sorting on the clock after PCM ???? I've seen many drivers in my center stay as long as 30 minutes after PCM to make sure their trucks are loaded properly before they leave. I generally don't touch a package off the clock but it does happen every once in a while depending on what I've got going on or if I NEED to be done early for something.
I am also a cover driver and when they change the work around on my truck or put me somewhere that I'm not too familiar with, I NEED to go through my car, if nothing else look at what's on the floor so when I'm at stops and there's a package down there, I will hopefully remember. In the future, when I'm a full time driver with my own route, I will try to change my habits regarding sorting off the clock. You all bring up an interesting idea of waiting until start time, and THEN organizing my truck. I guess it would only work if you weren't slammed on airs.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I am also a cover driver and when they change the work around on my truck or put me somewhere that I'm not too familiar with, I NEED to go through my car, if nothing else look at what's on the floor so when I'm at stops and there's a package down there, I will hopefully remember. In the future, when I'm a full time driver with my own route, I will try to change my habits regarding sorting off the clock. You all bring up an interesting idea of waiting until start time, and THEN organizing my truck. I guess it would only work if you weren't slammed on airs.

Isn't this covered by EDD? Doesn't matter how many air you have. Your board tells you where the pkgs are, as for your air, after start time, sort em and deliver em, then figure out your car.

BigBrownSanta

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't AM time charged to the preload? If so, when you work off the clock to fix your load, your helping the preload to skew their numbers. By their numbers you are making preload look as if they are doing a good job. If the load is screwed up make the preload numbers reflect it by using AM time to straighten up your truck.