"On Topic" Change... Real Change with Integrity

Integrity

Binge Poster
Of course. I have no intention of getting maimed or dying at work. I didn't say I don't care about safety, I'm saying UPS doesn't care. They give it a lot of lip service, but then they demand production on a level where it's impossible to work safe AND meet their production standards. It's one or the other, and they'll always harass you more about your production when it falters than they will over safety (which only matters when the regional and district guys come in for a visit).

I would like to find the seriously injured or dead employee in any company that had the intention of getting maimed or dying on the day they did just that.

So you are saying that the production demand makes it impossible for you to work safe.

You also state that in order to avoid being harassed about production you don't worry so much about SWM because you know they won't hassle you about that much except when upper management visits.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Integrity

Binge Poster
i should add that in turn, safety may be ignored or overlooked when production is right, but it flips around into a tool of harassment when production is lacking or you file a legit grievance. in short, that's what safety is to UPS.
You really believe this!

And you accept this!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Our center is in such disrepair our safety committee will be writing a grievance this week about the dangers inside and out. Was built in 1960. Since we have outgrown it. The mechanics bay is. Not safe. Original floors are peeling up. Toilets hardly work. Too long of a list. I don't see change anytime soon

Do you think it will be effective in facilitating change?

cardboard-surfer

DOK's are a joke. Something for the bought-and-paid-for safety sups to prove their salary is justified. UPS only cares about safety as far as the legal department tells them to care.

If UPS really cared about safety they'd be handing out work gloves and hardhats to hub & center workers, and facemasks because of all the pulverized cardboard and god knows what else the workers are breathing in. But UPS doesn't care about breathing problems...that pneumonia could've come from anywhere, so because it's impossible to prove in court it came from the workplace UPS doesn't have a ROI in providing $1,000 in cheap facemasks per day to every nationwide worker. They'd rather cough up the fluke quarter-million dollar settlement per year rather than the $365,000 per year safety equipment. It's all about the numbers.

If UPS cared about safety half the feeders wouldn't be missing loadstands, the other loadstands wouldn't be 30 years old and falling apart, and the workers wouldn't have to lift 500 lb roller assemblies into place at the end of their shift because the antiquated pieces of :censored2: won't roll correctly anymore.

If UPS cared about safety 30 lb boxes of flammable and corrosive hazmats wouldn't be shoved down the belts getting dented and crushed by over-flooded belts because management was told to save a few pennies per shift and push more volume.

If UPS cared about safety their shift supervisors wouldn't be watching the security cameras around the building like a hawk, seeing if anyone "official" is coming down the walkway for an audit or surprise inspection and immediately blaring it on the walkie-talkie to the entire full-time managerial staff so that everyone starts dotting i's and crossing t's because god forbid a corporate suit (or worse, an OSHA suit) would see what a hub or center is REALLY run like and shut em down in a heartbeat.

The fact is, safety gets in the way of productivity. UPS will always hate safety. There's no ROI in safety unless it involves a multi-billion dollar OSHA fine. UPS will always legally fight against every safety expenditure with one exception: the act of preaching how safe the company is and keeping its image intact (and keeping government safety inspectors off their backs).

SafetyFirst

You really believe this!

And you accept this!

several renditions of this have been posted by multiple people. it's life at UPS ... since you enjoy quotes so much, "attitude reflects leadership"

i'm not saying anything bad about my local management, i've been around long enough to know that these initiatives generally come from above them and no matter who rotates in or out the people setting these initiatives are for the most part the same people.

upschuck

I would like to find the seriously injured or dead employee in any company that had the intention of getting maimed or dying on the day they did just that.

So you are saying that the production demand makes it impossible for you to work safe.

You also state that in order to avoid being harassed about production you don't worry so much about SWM because you know they won't hassle you about that much except when upper management visits.

I think what he is saying, in a battle between production vs safety, production will always wins out, and the hourly has to either figure out how to do it against methods, or get harassment from management.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
If they are dead how would you find them? Is your ability to communicate with the dead the big change you have been speaking of?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I think what he is saying, in a battle between production vs safety, production will always wins out, and the hourly has to either figure out how to do it against methods, or get harassment from management.
Am I undstanding that you conduct yourself in same manner he does and for the same reasons?

km3

No. I'm usually able to meet the production standards which my supervisors have for me while working safe. Other people are quick to compromise, however, and it makes me cringe every time. Egress is my single biggest pet peeve. Not having a clear walkway, regardless of what job you're doing, is a huge risk for multiple reasons.

Of course, nobody intends to get maimed or killed at work. But a lot of people (at UPS and other warehouse/factory jobs) do cut corners because they feel that pressure to produce. And in that regard, UPS isn't much different from other workplaces in industrial settings.

I'm not here to argue that UPS is the brown devil, or anything like that. As far as I'm concerned, outside of the issue of safety, the company has been good to me. I'm here to make one point only: They don't care about safety. This is clearly evident to anybody that's spent more than 1 hour working here as an hourly.

SafetyFirst

He doesn't want to blame anything on UPS but if one thing is evident from this thread it's that a collection of employees in different positions who are scattered over the country and have never met pretty much unanimously agree that UPS doesn't care about safety. UPS is the one thing we all have in common, it's a culture that is company wide.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Not sure what that actually means to you, but you can't seem to accept anything that is the fault of UPS. Blinders are not a good thing in anything.

The employer is responsible to provide a workplace free of recognized hazards. There are many very bad faults in management when it comes to safety compliance. Many.

PT Car Washer

You mean other than completing my 4 year degree and earning 9 hours toward a masters?

We got to spend 4 years in Texas. Watched our newborns grow in to young children.

I enjoyed my time on active duty.
Military life is not the Hell that some people make it out to be. There are many challenges but also many rewards and a lifetime of memories and stories to bore young people with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Military life is not the Hell that some people make it out to be. There are many challenges but also many rewards and a lifetime of memories and stories to bore young people with.

When the kids were young and left their stuff lying around I would tell them to "find a home for it". I'm sure that was the military in me talking.

upschuck

The employer is responsible to provide a workplace free of recognized hazards. There are many very bad faults in management when it comes to safety compliance. Many.
I agree, and lower management gambles our safety away, for higher production numbers, to satisfy upper managements desires.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
You know this.

What do you think you should do to change this?
Let's see....I'll tell my management team they need to quit worrying about screwed up time allowances ( that they had a hand in ) and start telling the runners to do the job right and stop cutting corners. I'll let you know how that turns out.