One more.....

J

johnny_b

I can't help it.

"LABORER"

I went to college for a BS in computer science. Grades got me, but I earned 80% of the hours I needed and got an AA and an AS.

So one day I hear that a TSG position is available. At this time, I had my letter in, my full-time supervisor signed the sheet saying that I was good for the job. That sheet, my cover letter, and my resume, all came back with "LABORER" written on them at least three times.

I love UPS. I think it does a wonderful job at being Santa Claus and all. But this stuff is just stupid.

If anything, the people that get the work done, and the biggest reason I am not a supervisor is because I get the work done, are people that should be thought of as better than laborers.

(Message edited by johnny_b on September 30, 2003)

D

deliver_man

I'm rather proud to be a laborer.....but that's just me
cool.gif

D

dannyboy

Nothing wrong with working hard for a living. FAct is, there IS a pride in doing a job well. And honest work never killed anyone;)

d

J

johnny_b

I don't mind being called a laborer, but I just hate being put down (ie not being allowed to interview for a job) because of it.

T

tieguy

To be perfectly honest I don't know if I've found a term that adequately represents your jobs. I have always thought terms such as laborer or hourly were demeaning. I think service provider is too cutsey. Driver does not cover everything you folks do.

D

dammor

We are the front line of UPS. Some go down, but there are many ranks behind us. Find a tree to get behind.
zorro.gif

R

rd0127

"I went to college for a BS in computer science. Grades got me, but I earned 80% of the hours I needed and got an AA and an AS."

Johnny b, go back to school and get that BS. It will make a world of difference in your chances of promotion into management. UPS is a different company today (years ago a degree didn't matter as long as you were a hard worker, this is definitely not so today), you will need that degree if you want that promotion. JMHO