Only driving automatics for medical reasons.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
UPS won't make any official accommodations because they don't want to set a precedent but local management will sometimes make some moves to take care of a senior driver.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I'd say just about 50% have some Left arm issue judging by all the backed off park brakes. "Park" is not a substitute for a functioning brake. Remember that.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'd say just about 50% have some Left arm issue judging by all the backed off park brakes. "Park" is not a substitute for a functioning brake. Remember that.
How many rollaways have you seen with an automatic transmission. It begs to reason why one would even apply the brake while using an auto.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The thing is it does not work to stop the vehicle once it is already in motion. It will just ratchet.
The whole binding up of the sprag assy on hills is why I had so many breakdowns with the Ford P32 especially. Drivers would put the trans in park and let the vehicle roll back BEFORE setting the brake. The whole thing including the shifter is loaded up and the driver would snap the shifter linkage trying to come back out of park.
The correct sequence to keep from breaking things on hills is to let the vehicle settle into the curb, set the brake and then put it into park.

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The thing is it does not work to stop the vehicle once it is already in motion. It will just ratchet.
Under that scenario, I understand what you are saying and agree but does UPS recognize the brake as a parking brake or e-brake? Drivers are not trained to apply the brake during a loss of hydraulic braking but they are trained to apply it at every moment the vehicle is stopped which means they consider it a parking brake and not an E-brake.

Not arguing, just playing devil's advocate.

UPS THUG

Just wondering if any of you guys/gals have drivers that have an accommodation to ONLY drive automatic package cars for actual legitimate medical reasons and if so, than what are the reasons?[/QUOTE nope nope nope sups are idots they :censored2: wit you untill you let them noe its more den a job ima thug but a hard working thug:2guns:

UPS THUG

Under that scenario, I understand what you are saying and agree but does UPS recognize the brake as a parking brake or e-brake? Drivers are not trained to apply the brake during a loss of hydraulic braking but they are trained to apply it at every moment the vehicle is stopped which means they consider it a parking brake and not an E-brake.

Not arguing, just playing devil's advocate.

Indecisi0n

I have very little empty crotch space and shifting can be a pain. During the cold winter months it doesn't seem to be as bad compared to the summer days. I'm looking into getting restrictions for an auto.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2017-3-6_7-27-42.png