Only driving automatics for medical reasons.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I learned how to drive a manual on a package car. Nobody drives them anymore, it's just a different upbringing.

One of the first things I did when I taught both of my kids how to drive was to teach them how to drive a stick. Empty parking lot on the weekend is a great place to learn. Their final test was to start up on a hill.

rod

Retired 22 years
How the :censored2: does someone not know how to operate a manual transmission. I get being rusty or not good but to be completely clueless?

Sounds like a boring childhood to me. No dirt bikes, motorcycles, or cool cars

I bet their mommies put dresses on them when they were real young and held their hands until they were 18.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
All my kids will know how to drive stick. I know its a lost skill in this day and age but you really never know when you are going to be in a jam. My husband and I have already decided that we will make sure they all have that skill.

rod

Retired 22 years
Mine learned pretty much on their own driving my pickup or 72 Bronco (both straight sticks) around on the frozen lakes. Nothing to hit for miles except a fishhouse or two. I got to fish as they learned how to operate a stick shift. I only had to get after my son a couple of dozen times for spinning donuts when he though he was far enough away that I wouldn't notice.

Over 70

I knew how to drive a stick shift when I was 6. My grandma drove an 89' mazda 626 which would later become my first car when I was 16.

I did all the shifting when she drove, all she did was clutch it. I loved the responsibility lol

rod

Retired 22 years
My first time driving (with permission) by myself was when I was about 12 and worked a mink ranch. They had an old 50"s Ford pickup that we would haul the mink :censored2: out to the woods with ---- it was just part of the job. I'm sure I stalled it a couple of times but quickly got the hang of it

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My first time driving (with permission) by myself was when I was about 12 and worked a mink ranch. They had an old 50"s Ford pickup that we would haul the mink :censored2: out to the woods with ---- it was just part of the job. I'm sure I stalled it a couple of times but quickly got the hang of it
I had driven my dads 1979 gmc 3/4 enough that I knew concept of how it worked. That truck was terrible though. My mom had driven only a stick for the first 15 years of her life and could hardly get it into gear.

My graduation gift was a 1997 ford ranger manual. I got out of school two hours before my parents got home. The day after it came home I took off after school and taught myself to drive it.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
I would qualify. I have been bidding on routes that have automatics since my back injury years ago. The one time management change my vehicle to a stick shift, I was out for a week.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

After returning to work after a herniated disk I could only drive trucks with power steering because it hurt to arch my back when ur driving a p1000 with no power steering. They said no problem but I'd come in to whatever piece of :censored2:,non power steering vehicle they stuck in the lineup. Until I came in that night and needed to call in an injured back...was never a problem again

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Under that scenario, I understand what you are saying and agree but does UPS recognize the brake as a parking brake or e-brake? Drivers are not trained to apply the brake during a loss of hydraulic braking but they are trained to apply it at every moment the vehicle is stopped which means they consider it a parking brake and not an E-brake.

Not arguing, just playing devil's advocate.
There are scenarios where that will be all you have to try to stop yourself (FEDERAL WAY accident). All car manufacturers still sell passenger vehicles with parking brakes. They can stop the vehicle or at least appreciable slow it down enough to mitigate an accident.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Subarus too. Just not on PCs.

My wife drives a '16 Forester. I know there is a shifter quadrant for park, but I'm ashamed to say I don't drive it enough to know if it has a mechanical or electronic parking brake (and it's too damned cold to go out and look).

But, I absolutely love the simplicity of my '11 Tacoma 4wd base model.:)