Only driving automatics for medical reasons.

DieHardUPSER

For all those calling out UPS for making these accommodations..... UPS is required by law to make a reasonable accommodation. And it is made on a region level not at the local management level. If an employee makes an accommodation request there are multiple departments that have to justify their approval or disapproval to the region representatives.

Go below for more info:
The ADA: Your Responsibilities as an Employer

browndriverguy2015

It's kinda pathetic that when a fellow driver reaches out to ask for advice before talking to a sup that some people automatically come up with the idea that anyone asking for a temporary accommodation is a butthurt snowflake.

I guess it's a bad thing to ask for help so that I'm able to provide for my family?

raceanoncr

A few weeks before this post, one of our feeder drivers I still have contact with said, essentially the same thing.

One of the new feeder drivers was ordered to take XXX tractor, a ten speed. He refused. "Can't drive ten speed. I can only drive automatic". No "medical" condition just don't know how. They let him sit it out.

My question to my driver friend was, "How did he get hired in the first place". "How many automatic feeder tractors do you have?" "Could WE have done that back in the day?" "Why did the company fold".

PACNW

For all those calling out UPS for making these accommodations..... UPS is required by law to make a reasonable accommodation. And it is made on a region level not at the local management level. If an employee makes an accommodation request there are multiple departments that have to justify their approval or disapproval to the region representatives.

Go below for more info:
The ADA: Your Responsibilities as an Employer

I only know of one driver that has accommodations. He is from the center near me. He applied for the accommodation using the the ADA. This was at least 14 years ago. I don't recall what his disability was, but he was an extremely large man.

rod

Retired 22 years
How many rollaways have you seen with an automatic transmission. It begs to reason why one would even apply the brake while using an auto.

Ask my wife. She smashed up my cherry 1964 Chevy Malibu at the local mall when it rolled across the parking lot driverless into another car after she said it must have popped out of park.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
About 15 years ago I ruptured a rotator cuff and after surgery and extensive PT my MD released me to RTW with a power steering restriction. UPS refused the restriction so I returned to PT and then was to move into a work hardening program. Just before work hardening, Liberty Mutual contacted me and stated that UPS would abide by the power steering "off the record". That letter is still in my file as far as I know and UPS has honored it all these years.

rod

Retired 22 years
A few weeks before this post, one of our feeder drivers I still have contact with said, essentially the same thing.

One of the new feeder drivers was ordered to take XXX tractor, a ten speed. He refused. "Can't drive ten speed. I can only drive automatic". No "medical" condition just don't know how. They let him sit it out.

My question to my driver friend was, "How did he get hired in the first place". "How many automatic feeder tractors do you have?" "Could WE have done that back in the day?" "Why did the company fold".

I blame it on the youngens---a bunch of P*

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I've seen it done as a temporary restriction. Like a guy has had some knee issues and is trying to get up to full strength. But never permanently. We'd have 25 doctors notes the next day saying they can't drive a manual.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It's kinda pathetic that when a fellow driver reaches out to ask for advice before talking to a sup that some people automatically come up with the idea that anyone asking for a temporary accommodation is a butthurt snowflake.

I guess it's a bad thing to ask for help so that I'm able to provide for my family?
We used to man up and work hurt. Take the pain!

Over 70

How the :censored2: does someone not know how to operate a manual transmission. I get being rusty or not good but to be completely clueless?

Sounds like a boring childhood to me. No dirt bikes, motorcycles, or cool cars

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
We have a couple of kids in our center pull this nonsense. Some even thought they could fake there way through the road test in hopes they would never get stuck in a manual. Another stalled out in a major intersection and couldn't get the truck started. UPS is in a world of hurt if this generation doesn't turn it around. I tell the to youngsters all the time you need to be able to drive every truck in the yard at any time. Heck I drive one of the biggest pieces of junk in the yard if I can do it so can you muscle man.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How the :censored2: does someone not know how to operate a manual transmission. I get being rusty or not good but to be completely clueless?

Hello? Are you nuts?Those are risky! Add football to that list.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

I learned how to drive a manual on a package car. Nobody drives them anymore, it's just a different upbringing.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't know why people are making this a big deal, the company isn't buying any more manuals all the new package cars and tractors are automatics. I work in a pretty big bldg (200+ routes) and most of our package cars are automatics at this point. In 5 years or so that's probably all we will have.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

How can you honestly say you can't clutch but can climb in and out of a package car 150+ times a day? Are you planning to only step with your right leg...That's not going to fly cause you would never get done.

If it's that bad fry the clutch and start in third at every stop, that will cut your shifts almost in half. Either that or get the knee replacement it sounds like you need.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

They make us learn and test in the crappiest old International tractors they can find. I can't even imagine any feeder drivers in my building trying that.