Open Systems Programming

Deeohem

Dear Distributed Systems,

Yes, I'm local TSG, NO, I don't get to call myself a systems programmer. That doesn't mean I'm a clueless git. I know how to navigate your site. I've done it for years. I even knew how to find the hidden group picture you had on the old site. so next time, don't just throw me a link to someplace you haven't checked, especially considering I probably looked there already.

O

OSP guy

oooooh -- so you know how to install something based on docs I create and send to you...!!! Aren't you special..??!!!

Deeohem

oooooh -- so you know how to install something based on docs I create and send to you...!!! Aren't you special..??!!!

You mean the docs where each section the last instruction is "type EXIT and hit enter to close the command window" and the first instruction of the next section is "Open a command prompt by double-clicking on the command prompt icon located on the desktop"? :-)

I do feel for the tech writers up there at DS though. At one time I was told there were only a few of them, which was a surprise considering how MUCH documentation does get written for the various applications. Their workload must be enormous. And they get stuck having to walk a fine line. If they are detailed enough to provide explicit instructions down to the keystroke for mapping a network drive, then techs start to wonder how dumb they think we are. On the other hand, if they skip the part thats 'obvious', then they'll get complaints that they aren't being detailed enough. They end up either oversimplifying their docs or making them too complicated.

DS writing docs is important so that the guy who remembers installing NetWare off of floppies does things the same, UPS, way as the 22 year old PT sup who never saw a command prompt.

Doesn't excuse a guy not double-checking a link though.

Amen brother. I remember the old DS site you mentioned with the hidden group photo as well. UPS cheapness (slow wan links) was what helped me find it.

When I was a tech I always got a good chuckle out of the documentation. I hardly felt like a tech at all as all possible outcomes were covered, every last keystroke was documented and installs were automated/scripted. The only thing that made me special was my login credentials (and sometimes that didn't even make a difference). The docs were so detailed even management could do the install (had to get that shot in). And from the looks of things, that is the direction they are heading.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
So, do we now know who to blame for docs that are revised without updating the Revision leaf of the doc? (Don't they teach Technical Writers about version control any more?)

Do we now know who to blame for docs that have not been tested with the accompanying build CDs?

Does that picture on DS's website even qualify as hidden? I think a lot of Techs found it (while searching for any sort of info that might be useful in the field).

As others have pointed out, the process of building a workstation became easy - as it should be. Straightforward, standardized, simple builds make for easier support and faster recovery in the field.

TSG in the District I was in would rework the documents to match the actual build or install process, make them more concise (get rid of screen shots for "Click Next", eliminate closing a CMD window and immediately opening a CMD window, etc.) and add any District-specific reference info.

If TSG's job were limited to following written instructions to build workstations and install software, it would be awfully boring.

So, do we now know who to blame for docs that are revised without updating the Revision leaf of the doc? (Don't they teach Technical Writers about version control any more?)

Do we now know who to blame for docs that have not been tested with the accompanying build CDs?

Does that picture on DS's website even qualify as hidden? I think a lot of Techs found it (while searching for any sort of info that might be useful in the field).

As others have pointed out, the process of building a workstation became easy - as it should be. Straightforward, standardized, simple builds make for easier support and faster recovery in the field.

TSG in the District I was in would rework the documents to match the actual build or install process, make them more concise (get rid of screen shots for "Click Next", eliminate closing a CMD window and immediately opening a CMD window, etc.) and add any District-specific reference info.

If TSG's job were limited to following written instructions to build workstations and install software, it would be awfully boring.

Excuse me, but where exactly is the problem? And what exactly is the opportunity for improvement?

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
Excuse me, but where exactly is the problem? And what exactly is the opportunity for improvement?
I don't know where the person with the condescending is located, and I don't know where the people who wrote those docs are domiciled.

If you did not discern any problem with:
  • Documents without version information when there have been multiple versions
  • Documents that do not fit the build that accompanies them
  • Documents that are professionally written that are less usable than those made by field techs
...then I should ask where you are before I answer your first question.

There is no opportunity for improvement as long as a problem is denied.

I don't know where the person with the condescending is located, and I don't know where the people who wrote those docs are domiciled.

If you did not discern any problem with:
  • Documents without version information when there have been multiple versions
  • Documents that do not fit the build that accompanies them
  • Documents that are professionally written that are less usable than those made by field techs
...then I should ask where you are before I answer your first question.

There is no opportunity for improvement as long as a problem is denied.

And you hope that all these things will be magically fixed. Well, I hope so, too, but in the words of Ben Franklin
"He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

M

Mike Templar

First, why wouldn't you want everything documented so we could have a repeatable
process and actually build two workstations the same?

Second, the only reason anything needs to be documented is because UPS is a decade
behind and not using automated scripts.

It's amazing how two people doing jobs that should already have been replaced with
a script are arguing over who does it better. Maybe management reviews this
site and this is why they are going to outsource IT.

ImpactedTSG

It's amazing how two people doing jobs that should already have been replaced with
FINALLY!!!! Someone agrees with me about the upcoming outsourcing.

1 man 2 vote

First, why wouldn't you want everything documented so we could have a repeatable
process and actually build two workstations the same?

Second, the only reason anything needs to be documented is because UPS is a decade
behind and not using automated scripts.

I'm predicting the "Red shirted stepchild" building will be the first to go, and be gone within 3 years, and that's being generous. It's the only office space being leased.

R

ramsey500

attachment.php

1120070943.jpg