OPL payout

sendagain

Since we seem to have received the last distribution of the OPL liquidation, does this mean we can now right off the stock as a loss on our taxes? I seem to remember something about this when they first started liquidation.

ups79

Since we seem to have received the last distribution of the OPL liquidation, does this mean we can now right off the stock as a loss on our taxes? I seem to remember something about this when they first started liquidation.

Yet to see the .545 dollars per share pay off in my Wachovia account. Are you even illegible for a loss, when my OPL shares were purchased when the thrift plan was closed out and these money's were never taxed in the first place.

UPS Lifer

There is no loss unless you paid more than the shares sold for. It does not matter how much the shares went up. For example - You paid $10 a share and the shares went up to $85 a share. The final payout was $12 - you still made $2 a share. There is no loss. This is just an example. If the final payout was less than $10 a share you can apply the loss against any gains you had for that tax year. It does not matter whether the stock was taxed, it only matters if there was a gain or a loss.

sendagain

The payouts over the years were treated like a dividend distibution on stocks held outside of a retirement account, but we were never allowed to declare a loss until the company was completely liquadated. Now that the shares are worth zero, I am wondering if I declare my entire purchase price as a loss.

FAVREFAN

Sendagain, definitely a question for your acountant. What a bunch of b.s. that all turned out to be. It's funny how U.P.S. ended up winning that case with the I.R.S. over the taxes. So why did it have to be liquidated? I never understood. Good luck. I only had 200 shares of O.P.L.

tieguy

Banned
Sendagain, definitely a question for your acountant. What a bunch of b.s. that all turned out to be. It's funny how U.P.S. ended up winning that case with the I.R.S. over the taxes. So why did it have to be liquidated? I never understood. Good luck. I only had 200 shares of O.P.L.

The IRS was going after every year of its existence. The legal expenses were going to be extensive. The companys getting a lot of bad press sounding like tax evasion. So we took our victory over the first 4 or 5 years of the plans existence and settled on the rest of the years.

To me its another side of the corporate structure. No guts. Once we had our victory we should have beaten the irs into the ground. They created the laws and we took advantage of them. If they don't like that then they should change the laws not penalize us. There were many corporations taking advantage of those laws the IRS clearly came after us because we would provide the issue some high visibility and scare the other corporations into submission.

trickpony1

satellitedriver-
thanks....maybe someday I can be as wonderous, as magnificent and as stupendous as you.

Last edited:

FAVREFAN

Tieguy, they went after the old TYCO in the exact same way. Bermuda based back then. thanks for the update on the O.P.L. outcome.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy, they went after the old TYCO in the exact same way. Bermuda based back then. thanks for the update on the O.P.L. outcome.

thanks its a legitimate issue that needs to be reviewed. The company haters love the fact that the IRS gave UPS a rough time of it. But if you can look past that issue then what you have here is an overzealous government agency abusing its power. A company the size of UPS does not do something on a whim. They do so because they believe the tax law allows them to do so. If the IRS does not like this then they should close the loophole not file unwarranted lawsuits against that company.