Option days question

Faceplanted

So let’s say an employee is told by a doctor he cannot work for a certain period. Can management burn their option days? How exactly does this work? I don’t see anything in the contract concerning this issue and I’m not getting a proper answer from mr stewies Does the employee need to be on disability for them not to use their days?

if the doctor says you cannot work should these days be coded as sick days and the option days not be burned?

This is for the southern

clean hairy

Not where I can look it up, but I am in the southern as well.
"Option days are to be used as the first days missed in a year"
Something along that language in the supplement
Not word for word, but the essence of what it says.

clean hairy

What is the time frame as far as not working per the dr?
If you use fmla, then the company can burn all but one week of vacation and all your option days...

Faceplanted

Not where I can look it up, but I am in the southern as well.
"Option days are to be used as the first days missed in a year"
Something along that language in the supplement
Not word for word, but the essence of what it says.
That’s what Iv seen too. I’m curious as to if short term disability would make burning an employees days not allowed. The issue was just an ER issue at first with a good possibility of longer term issues pending how the employee recovers. The longer term issues seem to be looking like this health issue might become a few week issue (not COVID). From what it appears, it’s a shorter term issue (possibly a few weeks) and not a Fmla issue.

PCM Troll

Whether it is short term or long term, it will have to be done as FMLA. UPS will burn all option days and vacation days. If you have multiple weeks of vacation they will allow you to keep one week to use like normal.

Faceplanted

Whether it is short term or long term, it will have to be done as FMLA. UPS will burn all option days and vacation days. If you have multiple weeks of vacation they will allow you to keep one week to use like normal.
I was on short term disability many years ago. I got a check from the union for a percentage. Fmla is no pay. Std does not force you to burn days from my understanding

im assuming you’re saying any time off for health issues is categorized the same concerning vacation/option days?

Last edited:

PCM Troll

You can use STD to get some type of pay while out of work but it does not protect you from losing your job like FMLA does. Best thing to do is use both at the same time. UPS is known for finding reasons to fire people who go out on disability leave and worker's comp. FMLA will protect you from that. UPS will burn your days while on FMLA which means STD may not start to pay until all your days have been used. I apply for FMLA each new year after I have used up all my option days and option week since UPS will use them anyways.

PCM Troll

Just don't trust UPS to "do what's right". Protect yourself. A good friend who works with me had surgery on his feet and went out on STD. UPS was trying to get rid of him the whole time. After he got on FMLA they stopped messing with him.

dogs.bite.me

So let’s say an employee is told by a doctor he cannot work for a certain period. Can management burn their option days? How exactly does this work? I don’t see anything in the contract concerning this issue and I’m not getting a proper answer from mr stewies Does the employee need to be on disability for them not to use their days?

if the doctor says you cannot work should these days be coded as sick days and the option days not be burned?

This is for the southern
If you look at the agreement in the back of the contract, option days are sick/personal days.

if this is a work injury preventing you from walking, then that should be ST Disability

textat3

I got an STD back in 1996 in Cancun. I took a shot in the arm and a few pills and was back out there in 24hrs. Not a big deal at all.

ManInBrown

If it ends up being STD, it will be retroactive to the first day you were out. Any days that were burned would be given back to you, and would be coded STD. They take all days except one week vacation if it ends up being an FLMA issue.