Options for 10 year wait for driver at my hub

Hi.
I work at Grande Vista Hub and from what I have heard the wait is 10 years to drive! Ridiculous.

Can I transfer to another hub and dramatically reduce the time? I have heard different things so I'm asking here now.

UPSGUY72

Hi.
I work at Grande Vista Hub and from what I have heard the wait is 10 years to drive! Ridiculous.

Can I transfer to another hub and dramatically reduce the time? I have heard different things so I'm asking here now.

The wait varies place to place. You could quit and try to get hired somewhere else you would start at the bottom again at that building. You also have the chance of being put on the NO REHIRE LIST.

Don't believe anything anyone tells about how long the wait is just keep putting your name on the sign up sheet to become a driver each year and don't let anyone tell you you shouldn't sign the list becasue you haven't got a chance. You'll never have a chance if you son't sign the list. The list should be up now sign it.

The wait varies place to place. You could quit and try to get hired somewhere else you would start at the bottom again at that building. You also have the chance of being put on the NO REHIRE LIST.

Don't believe anything anyone tells about how long the wait is just keep putting your name on the sign up sheet to become a driver each year and don't let anyone tell you you shouldn't sign the list becasue you haven't got a chance. You'll never have a chance if you son't sign the list. The list should be up now sign it.
Agreed. Just because someone tells you there is a ten year wait, don't believe them. It doesn't matter if they are hourly or management. It might be a ten year wait or a ten day wait. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow. Keep trying and don't give up.

Brown Rocket

We had people from all over the country quit their part time spots to come to my area to drive. The wait was 1 year and 1 day at the time. With the economy as it is now that probably isn't the case anywhere now. Our most senior part timer who wants to be a driver is going on his 5th year now as part time.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Hi.

Does Grande Vista run Package? I was under the impression it was a Feeder Hub....

29th Christmas

I never understand why many P/T people put all their eggs in 1 basket. What if you get the driving position and it's not what you thought it was going to be?

While you are P/T get some education, training, additional job and/or start a business.
Talk to some of the drivers that have been around for awhile about some of the negatives of the job. $ aint everything.

NHDRVR

Hi.

It changes all the time. I was told 5-6 and it ended up being only 2. With the economy it might be a while before a big wave of drivers are hired but 10 sounds a bit much. Who knows...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Thanks, but no thanks.

I was driving down to Florida and we drove around DC on the Beltway and saw pkg car after pkg car sitting in traffic. Literally sitting--as in not moving.
You do realize that sitting in traffic pays the same as humping boxes of paper up 3 flights of stairs. If you looked closer you would have seen the big smiles on their faces ;)

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I never understand why many P/T people put all their eggs in 1 basket. What if you get the driving position and it's not what you thought it was going to be?

While you are P/T get some education, training, additional job and/or start a business.
Talk to some of the drivers that have been around for awhile about some of the negatives of the job. $ aint everything.
Capablanca, I hope your'e reading this post. This is the best advice here.

When it comes to driving a package car . . . . . . 'careful what you wish for

over9five

Staff member
You do realize that sitting in traffic pays the same as humping boxes of paper up 3 flights of stairs. If you looked closer you would have seen the big smiles on their faces ;)

I was thinking the same thing. A lot less stress on your body when half your job for the day is sitting in traffic.

LVBrown1

Please also keep in mind that friend/T drivers are also still being laid off, if you switch to another hub and hope to get re hired and drive could be a longer wait. Considering you would have to start all over with seniority.

EXNOHEN

I would highly recommend that no young person spend any significant amount of time waiting on a driving job! The job isn’t worth that kind of sacrifice! Before you know it, you are in your thirties with responsibilities that you can’t get out, because you are locked into a situation. Go to college, and plan on bigger and better things with your life other than being a UPS driver. (It is a good honest job, but not worth wasting ten years of your life waiting on!)

I have all but decided to move on from UPS. My whole logic behind putting up with the grind of this job was that in a few years I would be making some bank. Now that I find out the wait is 10 years I see no reason to stick around.

I will find a less labor intensive job and go to school . I'm still kinda pissed though because I gave UPS a year and a few months from the expectation that I was originally given that it was only a 3-4 year wait. Looking back on the day I was hired I believe I was knowingly lied to by the guy who trained us. Still I'm 23 and feel I am much more valuable than working a part time for 10 years so I can go driving.

It was nice having found BrownCafe and its people. I wish all of you the best of luck. Wish me the same. :smart:

Bottom line: Teamster local 396 jurisdiction covers GV, MS, SG, Cerritos, SF VN, & Bay. The pk drivers seniority list includes pt from all these hubs. So transferring to Cerritos will not help your situation. Ontario (local 63) will shorten your wait time but you will have to quit GV and then get rehired at Ontario... a big gamble since Ontario may not hire you because you had once worked at GV. At this point, 9-10 years sounds about right. Talk with some the worn out pk drivers who are on the feeder waiting list(nearly 20 years). Some of them will retire before given the opportunity to go into feeder. Working at UPS at all levels is rough until you get into feeder. good luck.

purplesky

Hi.

DO NOT BECOME A UPS PACKAGE DRIVER! IT TRULY SUCKS! But if you insist than just suck it up and work part time for a decade like most drivers have had to do. I am really afraid to even think about how bad things at UPS will be in 10 years. The way routes are being eliminated I would bet you will wait more than 10 years. Drivers are working 12 hour days now and the Globalization thing aint goin away soon so the economy will continue to suck as we loose more jobs through this new decade. No Offense but its kind of ridiculous that you think a 10 year wait for a job that pays 90K a year in this economy is ridiculous. Its amazing how many people ask me daily if UPS is hiring drivers but they dont want to get off the couch and bust ass and put in the time to get the job!!!!!!:wink2: