Options for 10 year wait for driver at my hub

UPS Lifer

Hi.
I work at Grande Vista Hub and from what I have heard the wait is 10 years to drive! Ridiculous.

Can I transfer to another hub and dramatically reduce the time? I have heard different things so I'm asking here now.

This is idiot talk you are hearing because of the current economic situation. Somebody (some idiot) has spread this around based on assumptions.

I used to work in your current district (SEC). If this is about going full time this is what I suggest. Transfer to Ontario where they have a ton of combo jobs. Actually, you may be able to put in for a combo job in Ontario. However, GV is going to split off from SEC when it is absorbed into Central California District. Ontario will be part of South California District ... so you may want to move fast.

Go to HR and check to see what your options are. You can also ask to find out the seniority date of the top person on the list for combo and driver. This will give you an idea of how long it is currently taking. Don't forget that person might sit on the top of the list for awhile if no jobs are open right now.

If things are improving as everything indicates, jobs will start opening up. Combo jobs in Ontario have a much shorter waiting list than driver jobs anywhere in the district. Some buildings have more of a chance of hiring at certain times of the year. For example, Palm Springs will have a need for more drivers until May than it dies off rapidly because the snow birds leave and go back home. Palm Springs is in your current district. A good HR rep can find out all this for you... just seek the person out and start asking questions.

Good Luck

UPS Lifer

Redistricting does not affect pt seniority list. For example: MS. Local 396 and Local 63 will not mesh their pt seniority list.

Ah Ha moment.... That is why the new Southern California and Central California Districts are split the way they are. Cerritos - San Gab and GV are all 396. The rest of the country must be doing the same thing, making sure the local unions are in the same district.

So the only other way to get out to Ontario besides quitting and hoping to be rehired is to show that your are going to go to school out that way and that you need a transfer based on school. If they go as low as the Junior Colleges, you have a lot of choice.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I transferred out of 396 into 542 and only lost center seniority; but then again I was full-time, not sure if the same applies to part-time.

Overpaid Union Thug

Transferring from a hub to an extended center drastically reduced my wait time. I still had to wait a while though. Transferring from hub to hub will increase the wait time in most cases.

DazedandConfused

Hi.
I work at Grande Vista Hub and from what I have heard the wait is 10 years to drive! Ridiculous.

Can I transfer to another hub and dramatically reduce the time? I have heard different things so I'm asking here now.
Like it was said, 5 yrs. turned into a 2 year wait. Your 10 yr. wait might be 5-6 yrs. It all depends on how long the ft'ers in front of you have left before they retire. Every place is different.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
When I was part time I heard all types of predictions on the wait. You must also realize that believe it or not there a lot of part timers who are on the list and continuously pass on the offer. In my building alone there are probably 5 part time employees who are D.O.T. certified that turn it down year after year because they simply don't want a life style change.

Anyhow on the option of transfer, this is always an option. Seeing that you still have relatively low seniority you would not be giving up much. About 6 months before I went full-time there was a guy transferred out here from New York. He transferred for the sole purpose of having a shorter full-time wait. He transferred out here with the college line, and once he was here simply dropped all of his classes. As he says his wait went from 10 years to 9 months.

UPS Lifer

I started a brand new center that moved from local 396 to local 63. Center seniority prevailed but the seniority dates were dovetailed in as well.

In 396 the wait to be a feeder driver was around 10 years or more and when we moved to 63 I had a driver with less than 2 years of seniority become a feeder driver domiciled out of our center. None of the feeder drivers wanted to go there. I had never seen anything like that before.

My guess is that you will never see a 10 year wait to become a regular driver. It may be that way now because everything is frozen but as soon as things start moving again that wait is going to drop rapidly. Like everyone has said ... every area is different. Take a 22.3 job while you are waiting to drive.