ORION and the upcoming peak...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
99624960-94DD-4910-B102-9436C3119D34.jpeg
As a history buff, when I think of ORION I cannot help but to draw a comparison between it and the final days of the Third Reich in WW2.
By March of 1945, Hitler was effectively insane. He had been reduced to a senile, trembling, drug-addicted shell of a man who indulged in grandiose and deluded fantasies of victory. He issued nonsensical orders to non-existent armies which were obediently transmitted by his syncophants even though they knew full well that the situation was hopeless and the war was lost. He was convinced until the very end that victory could still be salvaged through the use of high-tech wonder weapons like the V2 rocket, and he would order the execution of anyone who tried to tell him otherwise. The parallels between this and the almost suicidal zeal with which upper level UPS management has embraced ORION are striking. I just hope they step away from the Kool Aid in time for us to salvage peak season....

GenericUsername

When peak rolls around, I'll be on a 300 stop all resi route with no pickups. Orion will work just fine for me as the route won't be all butchered to cater to pickups.

I'm also not volunteering to be a mentor so I don't have to field 30 phone calls a day asking stupid questions. Just going to sit back and watch the center burn around me as I get off at 8 PM every night.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
View attachment 215036 As a history buff, when I think of ORION I cannot help but to draw a comparison between it and the final days of the Third Reich in WW2.
By March of 1945, Hitler was effectively insane. He had been reduced to a senile, trembling, drug-addicted shell of a man who indulged in grandiose and deluded fantasies of victory. He issued nonsensical orders to non-existent armies which were obediently transmitted by his syncophants even though they knew full well that the situation was hopeless and the war was lost. He was convinced until the very end that victory could still be salvaged through the use of high-tech wonder weapons like the V2 rocket, and he would order the execution of anyone who tried to tell him otherwise. The parallels between this and the almost suicidal zeal with which upper level UPS management has embraced ORION are striking. I just hope they step away from the Kool Aid in time for us to salvage peak season....
Scroll and delivery. Dean Wormer dropped the big one.

soberups

When peak rolls around, I'll be on a 300 stop all resi route with no pickups. Orion will work just fine for me as the route won't be all butchered to cater to pickups.

I'm also not volunteering to be a mentor so I don't have to field 30 phone calls a day asking stupid questions. Just going to sit back and watch the center burn around me as I get off at 8 PM every night.
A lot of our 300-stop resi routes wont contain during peak, so they bag up the 7000 and 8000 shelves and shuttle them out to PODS or other drop points for the driver to pick up once he has made room for them.
It will be interesting to see how well ORION works when it has us delivering stops in the AM that wont even physically be on the car until 6:00 at night...

GenericUsername

A lot of our 300-stop resi routes wont contain during peak, so they bag up the 7000 and 8000 shelves and shuttle them out to PODS or other drop points for the driver to pick up once he has made room for them.
It will be interesting to see how well ORION works when it has us delivering stops in the AM that wont even physically be on the car until 6:00 at night...

I'll go out with about 230-240, then pick up the last 60 from a pod for the golf cart route that's running. Last year I did the same thing with a great loader, really had nothing big and was getting my first load done by 330/4 pm with my helper.

Why are you doing half days?

soberups

I'll go out with about 230-240, then pick up the last 60 from a pod for the golf cart route that's running. Last year I did the same thing with a great loader, really had nothing big and was getting my first load done by 330/4 pm with my helper.
Were you on forced ORION with no way to view RDO last year?
If your car is bricked out and ORION wants you to pull your first 10 stops out of the middle of the 7000 shelf, I doubt it will go as smoothly...

GenericUsername

Were you on forced ORION with no way to view RDO last year?
If your car is bricked out and ORION wants you to pull your first 10 stops out of the middle of the 7000 shelf, I doubt it will go as smoothly...

Last year we had RDO. The direction we've been given in regards to Orion is that if it's in a position in the car that makes no sense for us to grab it, ignore Orion and work with what makes business sense.

Howe909

Orion isn't bad peak non peak I can always walk front to back in package truck 4 out of 5 days but then again my trace is about 30 percent

Dulce Bombón

I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!
View attachment 215036 As a history buff, when I think of ORION I cannot help but to draw a comparison between it and the final days of the Third Reich in WW2.

Sound like you talking about Trump.:kickedoutsmile:

Heffalump

Wow, who's balls you tickle for that bid.