ORION coming

Overpaid Union Thug

Now that a lot of you have had it for a while, what are your thoughts? I have a few questions - how does it work for base/split cars? Is it really saving time? We have 2 centers in my building and the other one just got it and I talked to a driver who said he's saving 10 miles a day but working an hour or more overtime. That doesn't seem to be saving the company any money.
ORION will be a huge deal for the first several months after implantation. Your sups will be stressing to get the numbers required to show that it's a success. They will be all about ORION at first but will quickly see how much of a failure it is.

As your center fails to gets its numbers (unless your center is mostly rural routes) your management team will be instructed to harrass and intimidate drivers into filling out the "Beat ORION" form that will be posted for everyone to see. When many drivers start giving up on ORION, and some run it 100%, your management team will be instructed to enforce the "first stop" metric. Then you won't hear anything about it again.

At that point ORION is just another tool in the tool box. My center still sends the "Your ORION Miles Are...." message. But that's all we hear about it now. I often go several days in a row without using ORION. Today I switched to RDO as soon as I had to break off for NDAs. I very rarely match or beat the ORION miles. Hell, sometimes I'm double digits+.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
ORION will be a huge deal for the first several months after implantation. Your sups will be stressing to get the numbers required to show that it's a success. They will be all about ORION at first but will quickly see how much of a failure it is.

As your center fails to gets its numbers (unless your center is mostly rural routes) your management team will be instructed to harrass and intimidate drivers into filling out the "Beat ORION" form that will be posted for everyone to see. When many drivers start giving up on ORION, and some run it 100%, your management team will be instructed to enforce the "first stop" metric. Then you won't hear anything about it again.

At that point ORION is just another tool in the tool box. My center still sends the "Your ORION Miles Are...." message. But that's all we hear about it now. I often go several days in a row without using ORION. Today I switched to RDO as soon as I had to break off for NDAs. I very rarely match or beat the ORION miles. Hell, sometimes I'm double digits+.
Me too, although I have not worked in 3 weeks, I hear nothing has changed. The guy running my route I hear he has been beating my stops per hour, but then of course he fixes the load, and there is no reason to, I have a great loader. But I do have customers, who I have given my phone number to because of the erratic delivery times, who I care about their service, while the company may not, have heard from so much I shut my phone off. But he is doing it the way he is told to. And hes fairly new. I have no problem with someone being better than me, I just hope they can make it as long as I have. But when I go back tomorrow, I am pretty sure the crap will hit the fan, when I dont meet or exceed his numbers. And while I will try and give my fair days work, I am quite sure it will not be enough. But then why be pessemistic, I know I wont because I will not work off the clock, skip my lunches and breaks, unless I am having a bad day caused by something wrong in my world, or work unsafely.

Overpaid Union Thug

Me too, although I have not worked in 3 weeks, I hear nothing has changed. The guy running my route I hear he has been beating my stops per hour, but then of course he fixes the load, and there is no reason to, I have a great loader. But I do have customers, who I have given my phone number to because of the erratic delivery times, who I care about their service, while the company may not, have heard from so much I shut my phone off. But he is doing it the way he is told to. And hes fairly new. I have no problem with someone being better than me, I just hope they can make it as long as I have. But when I go back tomorrow, I am pretty sure the crap will hit the fan, when I dont meet or exceed his numbers. And while I will try and give my fair days work, I am quite sure it will not be enough. But then why be pessemistic, I know I wont because I will not work off the clock, skip my lunches and breaks, unless I am having a bad day caused by something wrong in my world, or work unsafely.
I've noticed that many of the drivers in my center that are so much better than the bid drivers are the same ones that customers complain to me about the most. Go figure.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
It is a dumb as you have heard.
1. It does not account for traffic, so when you do get to your 1st stop you are already behind the Orion time plan.

2. It does not care about bulk, it might tell you to do an 80 piece bulk stop after 4.

3. Left hand turns, got a lot of busy roads? Orion wants you to crisscross them all day, have fun

4. Safety, Orion does not care about safety, so you have to watch out since it will have you doing unsafe things.

5. One big way Orion saves miles is by planning you to turn around in driveways, UPS says don't do that, but team Orion says DO IT.

6. If you have a business route, and this is one I really don't get, it might have you doing 100 main street at noon, but 102 main street 3 hours later. Now this is easy to avoid since it is not a break if you are on the same street, but still it is really stupid.

7. When it is new your management team will tell you how great Orion is, they will tell you how smart it is. After a few weeks of pointing out really stupid mistakes Orion makes, they will stop telling you how smart the system is.

8. When you get a performance ride however Orion is just great, you follow it as close to 100% as you can and it will drive your Supervisor nuts when you are over 10, I like to tell them that before Orion I could do this in under 9 hours, that annoys them too.

9. Even if you can ignore Orion and beat the Orion miles they will tell you to follow Orion at least 85%, so when they tell you this is about saving miles it really isn't.

10. In closing, enjoy the extra pay.