Orion Compliance (Work as directed)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You will always be my unknown hero!!
I have better protection under the contract out here in the Western Region than you do in the Central. If I were in your situation I might very well be making the same choices that you do about ORION compliance. Its a lot easier to stand up for oneself when one has strong contract language backing them up.

Back first

Just embrace Orion because it is here to stay. I scroll down through my Edd and find all the business that Orion would have me del. after 5 and make service. I am working much later with Orion so I am now on the 95 list. Orion is the biggest piece of crap but UPS has to justify all the money they invested.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have better protection under the contract out here in the Western Region than you do in the Central. If I were in your situation I might very well be making the same choices that you do about ORION compliance. Its a lot easier to stand up for oneself when one has strong contract language backing them up.
I think I will just take my dog to work, the day will be better, LOL This is her Orion face, coz Mommy is never home.....
008.JPG

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's not my job to manage the route,make decisions,or to be responsible for anything other than to follow a plan FAR smarter people than me have implemented.
I have no stress,run as close to 100% in compliance as i can and when the truck is empty I go home being VERY well compensated for my efforts.
I think ORION is a big steaming pile but .....................we dont get paid to think.

One thing i LOVE LOVE LOVE about the program is that management is tied up in knots over it. Unless you just murder a customer there is NO time for the penny ante BS over "production" Telematics" or any other of their pulling -wings-off -flies crap they love to throw at us
I have never seen so many stressed out,pissed off unhappy people in my time with the company. they never have good days lol
This. If it adds 3 hours to my day so be it. After 7 pm it's OT plus triple time is how I see it. I don't want or need the OT but at that price bring it on.

Ill take your stupid wrap it in pretty white yellow and pink paper and smile all the way to the bank.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Yes I have been getting an extra 10 hours a week, minimum, its a beautiful thing. And Ive been so late, I think I set records, as I have been following it as directed. So yes I am stressed out, because I really dont want so much overtime. So I will have to get on the 9.5 list. I find it hard to do, because, someone wants to pay me 50 dollars an hour to do it, and I find it very hard to fight that, there are people who would kill for that, I did too, 20 yrs ago. My body just doesnt like it anymore.

I also dont like my numbers shown to the whole center so I look like a slug, to people who appreciate those numbers. And I dont like being pulled in the office for it, I do not like stress. I know I know its part of the job, just ignore it, fair days work, fair days pay. I have less stress now that they know it makes no sense.
Apparently one stop I said has to be off by 2, messed up the whole thing. I thought we were suppose to highlight those places to make service. If its going to make the whole route messed up, why do it, I could care less if they get their stuff, its UPS service, not me that is at stake. Its not like I put it in to favoritize this company, its their hours.

So I commend you for being able to embrace it, Im just trying to finish the marathon.
And I had a great day yesterday, I callled off. Its about survival.

First-get on the nine five list and every week you go over FILE. what are they going to do in retaliation,send you out heavy with a bad load? they will eventually tire of paying us this much money so make it worth your while. Management dosent care if the hourlies are mad and upset but they DO care about money

Second- if your numbers are being posted for all to see file Harassment grievance and the numbers will be taken down

Third- when they take you in the office ask them to please show and tell you what you can do to make your numbers better. If you are working safely,by the methods, no injuries,driving speed limits,having no late air or service failures and are trying to stay as close to 100% in compliance as you can ..............well there just aint much more you can do is there?

I dont always agree with Soberups but one thing he has stated before REALLY comes into play here- they HAVE to make it look like they are 'addressing the problem' by blaming the drivers for a crappy program ,and heck they may even issue a Warning Letter or two to make their bosses think they are on top of the program! just take these meetings with a grain of salt,and (as soberups has said) tell them you are "working on improving" and THEN stick it to them by asking for help,and letting them know these little Rah Rah meetings will make you go over nine five once again!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
............ I have spent my whole "career" trying to stay off the radar.
Management is viewing your position as being weak,and are trying to exploit that percieved weakness. Sometimes you HAVE to be the ONLY thing they see on the radar to get problems fixed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I will take all the advice I have been given, bundle it all into one large package, and see what happens. Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. I really mean that.

By The Book

Yes I have been getting an extra 10 hours a week, minimum, its a beautiful thing. And Ive been so late, I think I set records, as I have been following it as directed. So yes I am stressed out, because I really dont want so much overtime. So I will have to get on the 9.5 list. I find it hard to do, because, someone wants to pay me 50 dollars an hour to do it, and I find it very hard to fight that, there are people who would kill for that, I did too, 20 yrs ago. My body just doesnt like it anymore.

I also dont like my numbers shown to the whole center so I look like a slug, to people who appreciate those numbers. And I dont like being pulled in the office for it, I do not like stress. I know I know its part of the job, just ignore it, fair days work, fair days pay. I have less stress now that they know it makes no sense.
Apparently one stop I said has to be off by 2, messed up the whole thing. I thought we were suppose to highlight those places to make service. If its going to make the whole route messed up, why do it, I could care less if they get their stuff, its UPS service, not me that is at stake. Its not like I put it in to favoritize this company, its their hours.

So I commend you for being able to embrace it, Im just trying to finish the marathon.
And I had a great day yesterday, I callled off. Its about survival.
I too have business that closes at say 4:00, and a p/up that needs a 4:30 pickup. What I noticed is my pickups that I do are not in my Orion deliveries in order. They are sprinkled in my Orion pattern which doesn't give me the miles for my plan. I also fuel away from the building and don't see a time on paper for it.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It's not my job to manage the route,make decisions,or to be responsible for anything other than to

You keep saying the same thing over and over, and again, you are DEAD WRONG. We get it, you dont like ORION either, but man, you have to get your understandings correct.

YOU ARE responsible for making decisions the moment you start up the truck. YOU ARE responsible for every driving decision on the road. YOU ARE responsible for every delivery you make. YOU ARE responsible for making every committment placed into your EDD. YOU ARE responsible for every pickup. YOU ARE responsible for public safety when operating the company truck. YOU ARE responsible for securing the package car when you are out of it.

YOU continue to say you are NOT responsible and "we" have clearly pointed out article 37 of the NMA that says YOU ARE responsible, and presto, you repeat the same.

I am begining to believe you dont understand what your basic function as a driver truly is.

TOS.

soberups

I too have business that closes at say 4:00, and a p/up that needs a 4:30 pickup. What I noticed is my pickups that I do are not in my Orion deliveries in order. They are sprinkled in my Orion pattern which doesn't give me the miles for my plan. I also fuel away from the building and don't see a time on paper for it.
We are instructed to follow ORION by 85% or better.

We are also instructed to complete at least 85% of our pickups within 15 minutes of the scheduled time.

Those two instructions are mutually exclusive. ORION has me doing my pickups 5 hours before their scheduled time. Complying with one instruction will automatically cause me to violate the other one.

The beauty of this scenario is that the company has invalidated any disciplinary action they might try to take against me for failing to follow those instructions. Giving an employee conflicting instructions under threat of discipline is harassment and over-supervision which is a violation of Art 37 of the contract.

By The Book

We are also instructed to complete at least 85% of our pickups within 15 minutes of the scheduled time.

Those two instructions are mutually exclusive. ORION has me doing my pickups 5 hours before their scheduled time. Complying with one instruction will automatically cause me to violate the other one.

The beauty of this scenario is that the company has invalidated any disciplinary action they might try to take against me for failing to follow those instructions. Giving an employee conflicting instructions under threat of discipline is harassment and over-supervision which is a violation of Art 37 of the contract.
It sounds like your route is a high mileage route possibly. This Orion is their shiny bell, not ours, and the 85% compliance is about the same here for both deliveries and pickups. I tend to make up my trace percentage by running my resis off almost in order and don't over think it. My Orion trainer said it was set up for resis so it keeps me under the radar.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You keep saying the same thing over and over, and again, you are DEAD WRONG. We get it, you dont like ORION either, but man, you have to get your understandings correct.

YOU ARE responsible for making decisions the moment you start up the truck. YOU ARE responsible for every driving decision on the road. YOU ARE responsible for every delivery you make. YOU ARE responsible for making every committment placed into your EDD. YOU ARE responsible for every pickup. YOU ARE responsible for public safety when operating the company truck. YOU ARE responsible for securing the package car when you are out of it.

YOU continue to say you are NOT responsible and "we" have clearly pointed out article 37 of the NMA that says YOU ARE responsible, and presto, you repeat the same.

I am begining to believe you dont understand what your basic function as a driver truly is.

TOS.
i'm quoting my management team as far as what we have been told we are and are not responsible for my good fellow.Things may be different where you are ,but in my little spot of the wonderful world of UPS this is what WE have to deal with.

With all due respect Article 37 has the phrase
"The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest."

THIS has been interpreted at my local as "Working as Directed" i.e it isnt up for hourlies to decide what the "best interests" are to be. ( and in real life as on this forum MANY drivers have a really hard time letting go of the concept that THEY know what the best interests are)

As far as your concern that i dont know what my function as a driver is, I shall have to think you are in a time warp and still think it's 1980 something and think you are still entrusted with making decisions . The times have changed my good man,and I am changing with them.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

isnt your management team smart enough to change compliance times on pick ups to avoid conflict...................wait, i MAY know the answer to this one

By The Book

isnt your management team smart enough to change compliance times on pick ups to avoid conflict...................wait, i MAY know the answer to this one
I think if management was forced to put in all the del closed times and pickups how the drivers do them and fueling, correct left building times into the Orion plan then they could get close to reality. Garbage in garbage out! I've been here long enough to know that when something's the flavor of the month it gets attention.

soberups

Even if they did change my pickup compliance times...which they wont....following ORION's plan will not allow me to complete them within the 15 minute time frame. ORION's calculations for the time it takes to actually do the work are inaccurate, and my ORION solution involves traveling down nonexistent roads or roads that are closed to the public or passable only with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. A 3 year old blind kid with a crayon could draw a better trace on a map than ORION does for my route.

728ups and I simply have different solutions to the same problem. 728ups follows ORION and then notifies management of any problems that may result so that they can give him permission to stop following ORION if needed. I don't waste time asking for permission; I have notified my management ahead of time that my ORION is irrevocably flawed and that I have no intention of following it. If they instruct me otherwise, I will then ask them to put it in writing that I wont be disciplined for the service failures that will inevitably result; they will not do this; so we will be back to square one. Either way, the problem is on them not me.

MethodsMan

Orion thinks you should be leaving the building at least 20 minutes before you really do. Sometimes earlier. The program should allow an extra couple miles for the daily misload(s).