Orion, driverless package cars, delivery robots, and the future of UPS

When will the total functions of operations at UPS be or almost be completelty automated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Is part of the implementation of Orion about setting the stage for the future of driverless package cars and delivery automatons conquering the "travelling salesman problem"? Will the driverless PCs be making as many lefts onto double-yellow lined roads as we do? Will the robots have to wear the uniforms or will they be simply UPS-branded? Will they call out "UPS!" on the way into businesses? Et cetera.

Yeah, I realize 4/20 was the other day.

We will not need package cars or drivers...we will be TELEPORTING your packages to the destination directly from the shipper - WORLDPORT...get it now!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Is part of the implementation of Orion about setting the stage for the future of driverless package cars and delivery automatons conquering the "travelling salesman problem"? Will the driverless PCs be making as many lefts onto double-yellow lined roads as we do? Will the robots have to wear the uniforms or will they be simply UPS-branded? Will they call out "UPS!" on the way into businesses? Et cetera.

Yeah, I realize 4/20 was the other day.
Was going to borrow Colorado's 420 mile marker when I visit there in June. Guess they knew I was coming.
th

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I put 2040-2050, though I believe it will be closer to 2050 than 2040. Technology growth over the last 15 years has been tremendous. Arguably grown faster than the 30 years before that. We're at a point now where driverless cars aren't that far off. Tesla is doing amazing things with it right now. Are we talking about driverless feeders in 5 or 10 years? Probably not. But 15-20. Possibly.

The biggest challenge will of course be loading and unloading package cars and the actual delivery. For it to be economically feasible you'd still need 1 robot for multiple cars. Then you need to figure out how to adjust it to different sized packages. Loading feeders, I don't really think will be that hard. There are already robots that can build pallets. It is a much bigger jump going to feeders, but the technology jump isn't near as large as driverless cars or loading.

The next 30 years will be interesting company wide in regards to automation.

clean hairy

Suppose the first step is to replace the center manager & DM with Computers?
How will drivers deal with the issues of being over dispatched and how would they file grievances for over 9.5 violations?
How will the center manager/DM computer deal with Drivers calling in and using an Option Day?
How would a computer bring a Driver into the office to address missed air, late pickups?

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
They got this all wrong. You NEED to build zip-lines to every home from every hub we own like its one big ass dry cleaners. Its probably cheaper too.

10 point

images (1).jpg
Will the Robot be charged for an avoidable accident while out of the PC making a delivery and some numbskull runs into the parked PC?
How will the Robots file a grievance for violation of the 9.5 list?
How will the Robot react to a warning letter for late air and missed pickups? Will the Robot try to blame it on Orion?
Will the Robot be able to reason as a Human does to break trace to make service?
What happens to the Robot if it does not meet the 85% Orion trace requirement?

ArcherUTR

There is no forseeable or even imaginable technology that will allow a robot to replace a feeder driver.

Yes there have been choreographed "tests" of driverless feeder rigs in Europe, but these were under carefully controlled conditions, perfect weather, in a convoy.

A robot wont be able to build a set of triples, install chains, or deal with changing schedules, closed roads, snow, ice or rush hour traffic.

6 robot feeder rigs arriving at an overcrowded hub at the same time wont be able to coordinate their movements with one another in order to get the trailers to the right doors at the right times.

Sounds like something a human could take over once the trailers have arrived.

10 point

I put 2040-2050, though I believe it will be closer to 2050 than 2040. Technology growth over the last 15 years has been tremendous. Arguably grown faster than the 30 years before that. We're at a point now where driverless cars aren't that far off. Tesla is doing amazing things with it right now. Are we talking about driverless feeders in 5 or 10 years? Probably not. But 15-20. Possibly.

The biggest challenge will of course be loading and unloading package cars and the actual delivery. For it to be economically feasible you'd still need 1 robot for multiple cars. Then you need to figure out how to adjust it to different sized packages. Loading feeders, I don't really think will be that hard. There are already robots that can build pallets. It is a much bigger jump going to feeders, but the technology jump isn't near as large as driverless cars or loading.

The next 30 years will be interesting company wide in regards to automation.
Yeah, loading multiple sized (torn up) packages into PCs on shelves and spacing them appropriately is a lot like building pallets.
Really?

Just put a bobcat bucket on it and it'll be just as good as we have now.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Yeah, loading multiple sized (torn up) packages into PCs on shelves and spacing them appropriately is a lot like building pallets.
Really?

Just put a bobcat bucket on it and it'll be just as good as we have now.
You kind of merged what I said. I said loading package cars would be difficult while feeders would be an easier obstacle to overcome.

10 point

You kind of merged what I said. I said loading package cars would be difficult while feeders would be an easier obstacle to overcome.
I'm just joking about your post. I'd really like to see the overhead scanners they have in air hubs to be mounted above all of the pkg cars to stop Misloads and divert add/cuts before they get loaded in the wrong cars.

That would be a better use of $ and technology immediately.