Drones to help Package Drivers look like Feeder Drivers

Inthegame

Sure you will it's simple. If 1-2 routes per loop are in Saturday then 1-2 routes per loop will be T-S bid. They will absorb the other routes in their loop.

We bid routes not work schedules. This isn't @MyTripisCut local
I mean I don't know what local you're in and more power to you but that's not the way we rolled it out so far, and we haven't heard a peep out of labor
He's in the Central and our language prohibits your scheme. Should start getting loud soon.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Art 3 Sec 8 requires all permanent FT jobs be bid to the classification. If a route exists T-S, regardless of the area covered on Saturday, it should be bid, just as any M-friend route.

ok, but the route doesn't exist T-S, that's the point, it only exists on S

if what you're saying is true, you'd be able to bid on any split route ever put in on a heavy day, and that's chaos

there's a more specific definition, and what i'm driving at is that the S routes are 99% likely to not meet that definition

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
ok, but the route doesn't exist T-S, that's the point, it only exists on S

if what you're saying is true, you'd be able to bid on any split route ever put in on a heavy day, and that's chaos

there's a more specific definition, and what i'm driving at is that the S routes are 99% likely to not meet that definition
Ups threw that definition out a long time ago.

I lined out how it would work earlier. Say loop 3 has 5 routes and 2 run on Saturday.

Routes 1-3 are Monday Friday bid routes 4-5 are Tuesday Saturday bid.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I really doubt it will happen. Just think of the liability associated with a fully automated drone. The only way they will do it is when they can shift the blame onto the driver or the recipient of the package somehow.
Absolutely.....remember those long pieces of leather with stones on the end.. Hunters use them to trip up small game and such.... Think about some hillbilly out in the sticks not wanting a drone flying around and take one out with the above mentioned or a shotgun.... We all are joking about that senerio but this could most definitely happen!!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I can't believe you said that.

Unlike you, he needs just a little more than a driver's license and a high school diploma to do his job. And, consider that your life and safety are in your mechanic's hands.
Thanks. A CDL, experience, and about $20K in tools for starters before getting your foot in the door.

35years

Gravy route
To work properly the end of the flight has to utilize a camera.
I see major privacy objections especially by rural folks who value their privacy.
Any landowners whose land we fly over would have to agree to the drone delivery or fly over ahead of time.
The drones will also have to contend with local regulations, weather, trees, kids, dogs, sprinklers/irrigators and rural helicopters that spray fields.

One crop dusting chopper goes down because we flew over the neighbor's field and the lawsuit is $5,000,000

I believe the application of this technology would be so cumbersome and costly that widespread utilization would be unrealistic. If it can't be utilized universally the costs become untenable.

Would you let a drone remotely controlled hundreds of miles away into your yard with your kids playing?

And if the drone looses its signal and crashes into your windshield while driving...

Last edited:

gman042

Been around the block a few times
There might be a perk to this after all.
You could always check out the neighborhood sunbathing queen without every having to leave your truck.