Drones to help Package Drivers look like Feeder Drivers

rod

Retired 22 years
Looks like they don't have to teach that monkey to drive after all. I would like to see that drone maneuver through the canopy of trees that surround my house.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
The stockholders are eating this up. Let's stop all the negativity. Just look how good Orion is. These guys know what's best for all of us. :lol:

Orion is the best thing since sliced bread......that has been sitting in the cupboard for a few weeks now.
Orion is a farce. I beat that silly little program by a combined 60 miles last week running my route the same way I always have. Beat it 25 miles yesterday.
You mean to tell me that it calculates the best way to run your route everyday? Total BS!!!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Orion is the best thing since sliced bread......that has been sitting in the cupboard for a few weeks now.
Orion is a farce. I beat that silly little program by a combined 60 miles last week running my route the same way I always have. Beat it 25 miles yesterday.
You mean to tell me that it calculates the best way to run your route everyday? Total BS!!!

orion is a direct reflection of your PDS' competence and work ethic, fyi

it can be amazing or total :censored2:, as you have obviously experienced

Dr.Brownz

I really doubt it will happen. Just think of the liability associated with a fully automated drone. The only way they will do it is when they can shift the blame onto the driver or the recipient of the package somehow.

Faceplanted

I really doubt it will happen. Just think of the liability associated with a fully automated drone. The only way they will do it is when they can shift the blame onto the driver or the recipient of the package somehow.
Imagine the liability associated with an idiot ups driver flying through a neighborhood looking at his Diad.

Ooooo wait....

Dr.Brownz

Imagine the liability associated with an idiot ups driver flying through a neighborhood looking at his Diad.

Ooooo wait....

Except UPS can say "we fired him, we are committed to the publics safety....blah blah blah"

IF UPS's AUTOMATED drone system crashes it calls into question the safety and efficacy of the entire system. Not only that but I can see GPS having errors in rural locations. I hike in the mountains all the time and GPS is off by up to a half mile sometimes (even more if I'm at the bottom of a canyon/valley)

Faceplanted

Except UPS can say "we fired him, we are committed to the publics safety....blah blah blah"

IF UPS's AUTOMATED drone system crashes it calls into question the safety and efficacy of the entire system. Not only that but I can see GPS having errors in rural locations. I hike in the mountains all the time and GPS is off by up to a half mile sometimes (even more if I'm at the bottom of a canyon/valley)
In my center just in the past few years there have been at least 3/4 blatant hit other in rear accidents. I'm sure the people who got hit got attorneys and ended up with nice big 30-100k checks from ups just in personal injury costs, that's not including car damage. A drone is not gonna kill hurt people in any higher of a ratio than a ups driver, I would actually expect the opposite. Automated cars have already proven them selfs much safer than a car driven by a human. FACT

All the drivers are still here that destroyed others cars in the rear

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How's that gonna work? If a route is in 30 out of 90 Calendar days it gets bid.

these routes are going to be in maybe 12 out of 90 calendar days so still no go

saturday routes aren't going to be the same as tues-fri, or monday

it'll be more like each of your loops gets 1-2 routes to cover the whole thing; you want to bid something like that out?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
these routes are going to be in maybe 12 out of 90 calendar days so still no go

saturday routes aren't going to be the same as tues-fri, or monday

it'll be more like each of your loops gets 1-2 routes to cover the whole thing; you want to bid something like that out?
They will have to bid T-S jobs. Otherwise every Saturday will be a nightmare of offer the work to those without 40 hours. Then offer the extra work from the top down then finally force from. The bottom up.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Sure you will it's simple. If 1-2 routes per loop are in Saturday then 1-2 routes per loop will be T-S bid. They will absorb the other routes in their loop.

We bid routes not work schedules. This isn't @MyTripisCut local

I mean I don't know what local you're in and more power to you but that's not the way we rolled it out so far, and we haven't heard a peep out of labor