OT- Ads on page.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Over 6000 sites are displaying that banner today. It's the same group that organized the CISPA / SOPA protest.

Since some of you say that the banner isn't functioning properly I'll take it down and add a notification instead. In the future if something is going wrong you'll get a faster response if you send me a message.

Thank you. For some reason (maybe it was written in flash?) it was playing havoc with my iPad.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Thank you. For some reason (maybe it was written in flash?) it was playing havoc with my iPad.
Oddly enough I messaged cloudflare about the trouble reports you guys have sent me and someone responded right away asking for specifics. No one here that has complained has given any specific info about their system, browser etc. so I sent cloudflare the link to this thread. Your post has the most info I have so maybe cloudflare tech support can use that to track down the trouble.

That same banner is still displayed on the cloudflare site, and on thousands of other sites too. The banner goes away when Feb 11, 2014, is over.

Indecisi0n

I wasn't having technical issues with the banner (which is why I didn't message you directly). It was just annoying because it was taking up so much of the display.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Oddly enough I messaged cloudflare about the trouble reports you guys have sent me and someone responded right away asking for specifics. No one here that has complained has given any specific info about their system, browser etc. so I sent cloudflare the link to this thread. Your post has the most info I have so maybe cloudflare tech support can use that to track down the trouble.

That same banner is still displayed on the cloudflare site, and on thousands of other sites too. The banner goes away when Feb 11, 2014, is over.

I have a older iPad (gen 2 ?), and it would occasionally cause Safari to completely crash. I've run into that problem with other Flash-heavy sites.

rod

Retired 22 years
Over 6000 sites are displaying that banner today. It's the same group that organized the CISPA / SOPA protest.

Since some of you say that the banner isn't functioning properly I'll take it down and add a notification instead. In the future if something is going wrong you'll get a faster response if you send me a message.

Oh you should know us by now. We would rather bitch and complain for days rather than actually getting to the root of the problem.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Here are the results that were produced by the call to action banner some of you were complaining about.

February 11th, 2014 was The Day We Fought Back against mass surveillance.

37,000,000 people saw the banner.
555,000 sent emails
89,000 made calls
301,000 signed the petition
420,000 shared on facebook
84,000 tweets
1,000,000 visited the homepage

Check out the link for a few notable tweets made in support of the protest by elected representatives and companies.

Here are the results that were produced by the call to action banner some of you were complaining about.

February 11th, 2014 was The Day We Fought Back against mass surveillance.

37,000,000 people saw the banner.
555,000 sent emails
89,000 made calls
301,000 signed the petition
420,000 shared on facebook
84,000 tweets
1,000,000 visited the homepage

Check out the link for a few notable tweets made in support of the protest by elected representatives and companies.
I did it more than once.