OT?

HBGPreloader

Just following up on this topic and here's the latest on our hub's refusal to pay overtime...

Absolutely nothing!

Numerous grievances were filed by the part-timers who were supposed to be paid overtime after 5 hours and the union supposedly got involved. However, after speaking to the steward this morning to address another pay shortage, he informed me that our business agent has yet to return his calls.

So, here I am, still short quite a few dollars, filing another grievance because the company decided to take back the overtime they paid me in a previous paycheck.

One thing for sure, it's never dull working for this company.

Checkers

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just following up on this topic and here's the latest on our hub's refusal to pay overtime...

Absolutely nothing!

Numerous grievances were filed by the part-timers who were supposed to be paid overtime after 5 hours and the union supposedly got involved. However, after speaking to the steward this morning to address another pay shortage, he informed me that our business agent has yet to return his calls.

So, here I am, still short quite a few dollars, filing another grievance because the company decided to take back the overtime they paid me in a previous paycheck.

One thing for sure, it's never dull working for this company.

Checkers

I would refuse to ever work OT again as a part-timer if they didn't pay me for it. Period, end of story. Get 'em back next peak when they want you to go 7 hours straight with a 10 minute break.. "oops, sorry, I have another job to go to."

It's easy to, but never forget what these stiffs and theives steal away.

HBGPreloader

I would refuse to ever work OT again as a part-timer if they didn't pay me for it. Period, end of story. Get 'em back next peak when they want you to go 7 hours straight with a 10 minute break.. "oops, sorry, I have another job to go to."

It's easy to, but never forget what these stiffs and theives steal away.

I'm already playing that game and ended my shift after 5 hours of service once I realized they were trying to screw me - although the business agent suggested that I should have kept working (I'm glad I didn't listen to him because I would be short even more $$$).

I'm trying to give the union the benefit of doubt and still believe they're trying to work through this and get our money. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully, I'll have some better news in the near future.

Checkers

UPS Lifer

I'm already playing that game and ended my shift after 5 hours of service once I realized they were trying to screw me - although the business agent suggested that I should have kept working (I'm glad I didn't listen to him because I would be short even more $$$).

I'm trying to give the union the benefit of doubt and still believe they're trying to work through this and get our money. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully, I'll have some better news in the near future.

Checkers

If you talked with a business agent and he suggested you keep working you may be playing with fire. You can't just walk off the job. It is called job abandonment or at the very least failure to work as directed which could result in progressive discipline up to and including discharge. I won't address the OT over 5 hours because I figure that your steward and/or business agent are handling that issue.

Walking off the job after 5 hours is another issue entirely!

HBGPreloader

...Walking off the job after 5 hours is another issue entirely!

It's been a while since I've visited here, but I did want to follow up on this.

No matter how you slice it, job abandonment is job abandonment. The only thing you can do is file a grievance after the fact and hope your BA does his (or her) job.

I finally did receive most of my overtime pay. but they shorted me about 1.5 hours because they claimed I worked a double shift of 8 hours or more.

Most of the other preloaders didn't follow through with their grievances and, from what I understand, they didn't get much, if anything at all.

UPSSOCKS

Wrong, a sup or manager can change the pay code to pay your ot at straight time

Red Rose Tea beat me to it, but what are you talking about? To make changes to a payrate requires a submission to time and labor in the form of a request. The only altering to payrates that can actually be done in house, is the dollar bonus for skilled positions.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Red Rose Tea beat me to it, but what are you talking about? To make changes to a payrate requires a submission to time and labor in the form of a request. The only altering to payrates that can actually be done in house, is the dollar bonus for skilled positions.

Exactly... Obviously upsman39 doesn't EVEN know our timecard system. The only way to make changes would be done by doing an inquiry to payroll, specifically requesting to not pay overtime. You would have to have a pretty good reason to back this up. Pay rates are entered by HR in GEMS. Impossible for a center sup or manager to change.
These constant accusations of timecards, pay rates, etc being fudged are just ridiculous. No one in their right mind would ever intentionally make these changes....

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
It's been a while since I've visited here, but I did want to follow up on this.

No matter how you slice it, job abandonment is job abandonment. The only thing you can do is file a grievance after the fact and hope your BA does his (or her) job.

I finally did receive most of my overtime pay. but they shorted me about 1.5 hours because they claimed I worked a double shift of 8 hours or more.

Most of the other preloaders didn't follow through with their grievances and, from what I understand, they didn't get much, if anything at all.

Did you ever find out what caused the original problem? PLEASE don't give me "they fudged my timecard" reason... The real reason, please..

Do you punch in and out on a PTM machine? If you do, you can see how ridiculous the "fudged it" reason is....

HBGPreloader

Did you ever find out what caused the original problem? PLEASE don't give me "they fudged my timecard" reason... The real reason, please..

Do you punch in and out on a PTM machine? If you do, you can see how ridiculous the "fudged it" reason is....

I have no idea what a PTM machine is but I do punch an electronic time-clock (and keep very good notes).

From what came up in the hearing, we weren't paid overtime because management claimed preloaders were scheduled to work double shifts.

According to my business agent, in a few of the grievances, employees were indeed working doubles, working in preload and as driver's helpers. In other cases, like mine, overtime was supposed to be paid.

Overall, I'm rather disappointed with the outcome, with the pay shortage being the least of my concerns. From what I get of this decision, management now can now force me to work double shifts,even though I am part-time, and ignore the "overtime" or extra work sign-up sheets.

Checkers

UPS Lifer

I have no idea what a PTM machine is but I do punch an electronic time-clock (and keep very good notes).

From what came up in the hearing, we weren't paid overtime because management claimed preloaders were scheduled to work double shifts.

According to my business agent, in a few of the grievances, employees were indeed working doubles, working in preload and as driver's helpers. In other cases, like mine, overtime was supposed to be paid.

Overall, I'm rather disappointed with the outcome, with the pay shortage being the least of my concerns. From what I get of this decision, management now can now force me to work double shifts,even though I am part-time, and ignore the "overtime" or extra work sign-up sheets.
Checkers

So - In your area, when to you perceive that OT should be paid? What does the contract state? By that I mean, how many hours in a day do you have to work before OT kicks in? I am not talking about any sort of penalty pay.... I am asking about regular over time pay. Also, what rate do you expect OT to be paid at?