Our Pilots

vantexan

They are a lot closer to you then the 1%'ers. You starting fighting everybody, you are certainly fighting a losing battle. There are plenty of people doing less fo9r more than a Fedex pilot making 150K, don't be jelly. The top 400 earners in the US are bringing home 350 million plus per. But your a Repub, it's all good right? If you ain't making bank, you ain't try'n.

Last I heard our pilots were making $250k+. That puts them squarely in Obama's crosshairs.

vantexan

I believe he was some sort of tech. or, engineer.
FDX flt. 705

Looked it up on Wikipedia. He was a flight engineer who was supposed to part of that flight's crew but had too many hours so he jumpseated. He was facing dismissal for lying about flying experience so he concocted plan to beat flight crew to death with hammers which would make injuries consistent with a plane crash. He then intended to crash plane so his family would get $2.5 million insurance policy paid by FedEx. If he had been the flight engineer he probably would have gotten away with it. That's not the same though as holding plane hostage because you don't like your compensation.

vantexan

They are a lot closer to you then the 1%'ers. You starting fighting everybody, you are certainly fighting a losing battle. There are plenty of people doing less fo9r more than a Fedex pilot making 150K, don't be jelly. The top 400 earners in the US are bringing home 350 million plus per. But your a Repub, it's all good right? If you ain't making bank, you ain't try'n.

P.S. If you'd take the time to read my posts you'd see I'm against the extreme compensation some get.

CJinx

When has a pilot ever gone "rogue" with a plane? Let's see, I make great money, great bennies, easy hours, but I think it's worth going to prison by commandeering this jet and landing it somewhere other than the filed flight plan to show the company who's boss?

Company to rogue pilot: Don't worry, when you get out you'll still have your great job waiting for you!
Any pilot doing that would never have to worry about flying again ever. It was merely an example but you're missing the point; pilots are more valuable to the company than you, me and probably the vast majority of hourly and salaried positions across all opcos.

vantexan

Any pilot doing that would never have to worry about flying again ever. It was merely an example but you're missing the point; pilots are more valuable to the company than you, me and probably the vast majority of hourly and salaried positions across all opcos.

Well of course they are, how many of us can fly a jet? But it seemed you were saying that the company was giving them whatever they wanted to prevent them from doing funny business with the planes, holding up the freight, etc. They aren't just employees, they are licensed professionals that have legal obligations as well as their personal career at stake. Doubt they'd risk it all to make a point.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Looked it up on Wikipedia. He was a flight engineer who was supposed to part of that flight's crew but had too many hours so he jumpseated. He was facing dismissal for lying about flying experience so he concocted plan to beat flight crew to death with hammers which would make injuries consistent with a plane crash. He then intended to crash plane so his family would get $2.5 million insurance policy paid by FedEx. If he had been the flight engineer he probably would have gotten away with it. That's not the same though as holding plane hostage because you don't like your compensation.

According to Fred, we are all pilots anyway...we just get paid less to "fly" our vehicles. I've been around long enough to remember crews having to take a "crew van" to their hotel. The crew van was simply a retired Econoline that had 2 extra rows of seats installed in it and the logos removed. They could drive it around to get food too, and when we used to have jumpseat it was common practice for the crew to invite you out for some BBQ in some seedy part of OAK or LAX or whatever bad neighborhood was close to the airport but had great food. They acted like regular people...not the elitists most of them have become.

Now, it's like the limo is bringing-in a couple of celebrities to fly the plane. They get in and out with little contact according to my ramp agent friends, probably because they don't want to rub elbows with people who sweat and touch freight. OMG...an hourly...Ewwww!!

IMO, the real reason there is no more personal jumpseat is the crews. They never liked having "outsiders" in the cockpit, and sometimes for good reason. I can remember jumpseating in a nasty thunderstorm and having the other jumpseater freak-out and practically have to be restrained, but most of the time there weren't any issues.

Remember, there's nothing free at FedEx anymore, unless you count the people working through their "break".

vantexan

According to Fred, we are all pilots anyway...we just get paid less to "fly" our vehicles. I've been around long enough to remember crews having to take a "crew van" to their hotel. The crew van was simply a retired Econoline that had 2 extra rows of seats installed in it and the logos removed. They could drive it around to get food too, and when we used to have jumpseat it was common practice for the crew to invite you out for some BBQ in some seedy part of OAK or LAX or whatever bad neighborhood was close to the airport but had great food. They acted like regular people...not the elitists most of them have become.

Now, it's like the limo is bringing-in a couple of celebrities to fly the plane. They get in and out with little contact according to my ramp agent friends, probably because they don't want to rub elbows with people who sweat and touch freight. OMG...an hourly...Ewwww!!

IMO, the real reason there is no more personal jumpseat is the crews. They never liked having "outsiders" in the cockpit, and sometimes for good reason. I can remember jumpseating in a nasty thunderstorm and having the other jumpseater freak-out and practically have to be restrained, but most of the time there weren't any issues.

Remember, there's nothing free at FedEx anymore, unless you count the people working through their "break".

I wonder if the real reason there's no more jumpseating is the millions FedEx would have to pay out in insurance settlements if one of the jumpseaters accomplished what that guy tried to.

vantexan

Wrong! Wait until you see your first paycheck of 2013 and you will see who is in his crosshairs!

Referring to the increase in payroll tax? If so it's only going back to what it was. Something they shouldn't have done to begin with as it hurts Social Security.

Goldilocks

I think I was on that flight....lol

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Like another posted said, "We had the chance in '97". I put my neck out there, circulated the cards, talked till I was blue in the face.

"This is the best job I've ever had and we have the GFT". Bwahhhhhhhhhhhh. Those same guys are crying about barely making 35 hours, with two kids in college.

I've seen what a few call offs can do to our station. Imagine if we had a "purple call off".

NonyaBiznes

Please expound (why would you say "crosshairs" ... enough of the gun violence).

Get educated ... it's $400,000 single, $450,000 married.

Something you will NEVER have to worry about, right?

NonyaBiznes

Last I heard our pilots were making $250k+. That puts them squarely in Obama's crosshairs.

Something you will NEVER have to worry about, right?​

vantexan

Something you will NEVER have to worry about, right?​

Obama was "targeting" singles who made $200,000, couples who made $250,000. He compromised on the above numbers you stated, but he wanted higher taxes on considerably lower income. That would have hurt many small business owners, and thus there would be fewer jobs for the rest of us. Envy those with more money, resent them too, but most making that kind of money work very hard for it, and they are the backbone of our economy. Take away the incentive to work hard by confiscating as much as possible and we all eventually suffer. I hope that's enough expounding for you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Obama was "targeting" singles who made $200,000, couples who made $250,000. He compromised on the above numbers you stated, but he wanted higher taxes on considerably lower income. That would have hurt many small business owners, and thus there would be fewer jobs for the rest of us. Envy those with more money, resent them too, but most making that kind of money work very hard for it, and they are the backbone of our economy. Take away the incentive to work hard by confiscating as much as possible and we all eventually suffer. I hope that's enough expounding for you.

Van, this is the same guy who couldn't follow your "simper/semper" play on words, so I seriously doubt he will figure this out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Just curious. How are we ever going to be able to pay-down the debt that Bush ran-up without increasing revenue? I always love conservatives who argue that "small business owners" and " job creators" will be hurt deeply by anything Obama wants to do tax-wise. "Taking away "the incentive to work" is another talking point. These are all "bootstrappers", right? They'll just strap a little harder. What BS.

What the GOP conveniently ignores is the fact that these folks already enjoy massive tax breaks and are paying percentage-wise, the lowest rates in history. They've been raking it in for years, and now it's time to start evening the playing field.

As some else said, none of us here are ever going to be making $400-$450,000 per year, nor will 99% of everyone else. The "small business owners" you are crying about don't make that kind of money either, so what's the point? They won't even be affected. I loved it when several "small business owners" started laying people off just after Obama was elected even though nothing had changed. Pure political theatre.

Worship the rich if you'd like, but I'd prefer that they play by the same rules as the rest of us.

MAKAVELI

Just curious. How are we ever going to be able to pay-down the debt that Bush ran-up without increasing revenue? I always love conservatives who argue that "small business owners" and " job creators" will be hurt deeply by anything Obama wants to do tax-wise. "Taking away "the incentive to work" is another talking point. These are all "bootstrappers", right? They'll just strap a little harder. What BS.

What the GOP conveniently ignores is the fact that these folks already enjoy massive tax breaks and are paying percentage-wise, the lowest rates in history. They've been raking it in for years, and now it's time to start evening the playing field.

As some else said, none of us here are ever going to be making $400-$450,000 per year, nor will 99% of everyone else. The "small business owners" you are crying about don't make that kind of money either, so what's the point? They won't even be affected. I loved it when several "small business owners" started laying people off just after Obama was elected even though nothing had changed. Pure political theatre.

Worship the rich if you'd like, but I'd prefer that they play by the same rules as the rest of us.

If I was making 400k +, I wouldn't be worried about another 4 or 5 %. It definitely wouldn't affect my lifestyle. Even at 250k.